Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden III's Pentultimate Choice [Spoilers!]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForeverKnight

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Suikoden III's Pentultimate Choice [Spoilers!] Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I will admit something - among all the currently released Suikoden games - I really like Suikoden III the least. I think this was more in terms of gameplay than anything. I will also admit, though, that the characters were a bit more endearing, on a whole [in terms of all of the 108 Stars of Destiny], as opposed to just the main cast as it had been with the past two before it.

[SPOILER ALERT]

Anyway, I come to the rest of you with a request for some help as to choosing who's to become the next Flame Champion in Suikoden III. I really like all three characters, but there's something getting in the way of me really wanting to choose any of them. You look at the leaders who come about in other Suikoden titles and you see someone who isn't exactly born into greatness, but leads by example and by sheer determination. I had no problem backing them as the head of a righteous army.
The Flame Champion of legend seemed to be one of those, as well.

However, I don't think I see myself supporting none of the candidates to become the next Flame Champion. Hugo is irrational and thinks like a child. His immaturity leads him to think on a dime, so to speak, and really act first before thinking about the repercussions. Chris, on the other hand, is the polar opposite. She's a very militaristic person who thinks her actions through and approaches things from a very analytical and appropriate manner, but she is very often clouded by emotion and confusion coming from different perspectives. Geddoe, on the other hand, seems the best candidate, if he wasn't so biased against the Flame Champion's methodology.
Who's the best choice to pick up the flame... so to speak... the Flame Champion left behind?

Who did you all choose, and why? I'd like to get some perspective on this so I can better make my choice... and in the meantime, find a way to beat that wretched dragon... can anyone say cheap?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not going to tell you who to pick; that's up to you and your playing style. However, I will share with you some of my thoughts on the matter.

Hugo is the "right" choice in terms of the storyline. All the True Runes line up with their proper owners if you pick Hugo, and he really grows as a character throughout the game, especially if you pick him as your Flame Champion. In the manga, he is the Flame Champion, and as I've said, it makes the other True Runes line up properly. I tend to play games with an eye toward storyline continuity, so I tend to pick Hugo when I play Suikoden III.

Chris is my favorite of the three. She is intelligent, brave, charismatic, and, like Hugo, grows throughout the game. I don't like to pick her, however, because if you don't pick her, she gets her father's True Water Rune, and I feel that her storyline is best fulfilled that way. By the way, this is spoiler text; if you haven't encountered this here at Suikox yet, you highlight it to read it. Chris does have one huge perk as Flame Champion; if you choose her, you can enter the Guild Hall and buy the wonderful Custom armors earlier.

Geddoe is my least favorite of the characters, and I like to keep him with his True Lightning Rune, with which he is godly. However, he is the most proficient of the three in Fire Magic, although none of them are particularly good (Geddoe has a B+, Hugo a B, and Chris a C). If you really want to use the True Fire Rune, Geddoe is the way to go.

Basically, it boils down to this: If you want to play the "official" storyline, choose Hugo. If you want to buy great armor as early as possible, choose Chris. If you want to use the True Fire Rune to its fullest extent (but don't mind not being able to use the True Lightning Rune to its fullest extent), go with Geddoe. If you simply want to play as your favorite character, well, then pick your favorite character.

Also, I think I may be able to help you with the dragon. First, though, could you tell me what runes your characters have?
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hugo seems to have so much more to learn... so much more he can change in himself... opposed to Chris and Geddoe, don't you think?

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Agreed, Yvl. Hugo has a long way to go, and I think he needs a lot of lessons before he can continue. Camus, I got past the dragon, but the strategy battles that follow have properly boggled me - I haven't done a great deal of recruiting, so I think that was my failing. That dragon battle was pretty easy once I actually buckled down, equipped everybody with high grade medicenes, and pecked away with Geddoe's True Lightning Rune and Chris' Phoenix Runes.
Honestly, getting through Suikoden III is beginning to be a pain... everyone decided to trash Suikoden IV, however, which I don't get, because I actually didn't mind IV in comparison to III. Anyway... that was a bit off-topic. I'm going to go with Hugo, if that seems to be the most canon choice, which, I guess, I should have figured.

Thanks for everything!

44244 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't chose Hugo even though he's the default Flame Champion. Too sick of the teenager hero, you see. I prefer Chris 100 times, so I went with her. Besides, the horse is so good for crossing the plains and forests.

Geddoe is also okay, especially because you get to see him talk! And long speeches too! Also, the way he puts Luc down at the end, treating him like a foolish kid, is awesome. His talk before the final battle is memorable, IMO.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hrestelan wrote:
I didn't chose Hugo even though he's the default Flame Champion. Too sick of the teenager hero, you see. I prefer Chris 100 times, so I went with her. Besides, the horse is so good for crossing the plains and forests.

suuuuurrrrreeeee... the horse excuse again... She really isn't THAT beautiful, you know, no reason to go around ogling her and whatnot >.> (jk)

Quote:
Geddoe is also okay, especially because you get to see him talk! And long speeches too! Also, the way he puts Luc down at the end, treating him like a foolish kid, is awesome. His talk before the final battle is memorable, IMO.

That's interesting... but what happens to his True Lightning Rune then? I'm up to chapter 2 on my second play through, so I may decide to go with that...[/quote]

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

if you choose geddoe as your flame champ he losses his true lightning rune since it transfer over to hugo and geddoe gets the true fire rune.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And then Chris still gets the Water rune? So what happens if you give Chris the Fire rune?

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

then geddoe keeps his true rune and hugo get's the true water. and yes chris gets the true water rune no matter who you choose unless you choose her as the flame champion.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ohh, I see how it is now.

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My first time through I used Geddoe as the flame Champion. Not because I felt he was the best choice, but beause he's my favorite of the three.
Since then I've gone with Hugo just so that Geddoe can keep the true lightning rune. I feel sort of sad if I part him from that. It just can't be healthy!
Chris and Geddoe are more set in their ways though. Hugo is the most apt to change an be able to lead.. I just don't think any of them were exactly built as good main characters. Definitely good main support though.
I found 3 really fun, but most of my like for the game is definitely Luc's story.

-My DeviantArt-
mergle

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

On the firstplaythrough with my sister, we picked Hugo. It seemed a Very Bad Idea for anyone to have two True Runes, or for the Lightning Rune to be running around amock if the Fire Rune displaced it, so that ruled out Geddoe.

We hated to give a True Rune to a child (which is what Hugo really seemed to be, at the time. Everyone talks about how much he's grown up, but I don't really see much evidence of that in his behavior), but we didn't think the Karayans and Lizards would accept Chris, the hated Zexen behind the massacre at Karaya. So Hugo was politically more appropriate, and that's the way we went.
Valec

Maniacs with Hammers

1947 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think of it like this...

Chris--> Water
(Calm, but destructive)

Geddoe--> Lightning
(He works behind the scenes, so like lightning, you never know where he strikes.)

Hugo--> Fire
(Hugo's wild nature makes him perfect for the untamed element of fire)

Each element has it's own 'personality' its known for and they fit each of these characters quite well. I never thought of this until now, but I think it is a rather accurate and fair thought.
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I went with Hugo all the way. Like most people said, Hugo is the one that enables you to straighten out those True Runes. Plus in gameplay, it's quite good. Chris is the horrible one in terms of magic, so she get sthe True Water Rune, which has it's Lvl. oone spell as Kindness Rain, I think. Hugo is decent with magic, soe he gets the TFR. Geddoe is probably the best mage of 'em all, so he should get the most devastating one.

Plus, I would much rather have Percival hold a True Rune as opposed to Chris. Or maybe even Sgt. Joe. :D

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well that's definitely one way of putting it hehehee.

-My DeviantArt-
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: