Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Accents in Suikoden
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dear GOD no!
I hated the accents in Chrno Cross. Kidd was the one who annoyed me the most for some reason.

Having a bit of an accent is alright, but CC I felt when over baord with their stereotypes. Accents I like with voices. Like in FFX where they had Wakka with a slight Jamacian accent. I guess I find it more appealing maybe since I don't have to figure out what the character would sound like and what they're saying. Although, this is probably just my taste.
Fragola

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oooh... so there were no accents then... Well, that's ok. I think a little hint of an accent is good. I actually liked the accents in Chrono Cross, but I can completely understand how they might be perceived as distracting/hard to understand/annoying. I wonder if it would work better with dialects instead... But then those who are not familiar with the dialects might be confused by them. I wonder if there's any way to get around it?

Maybe when Suikoden 4 comes out we'll be able to solve this riddle, since we might have characters from the other countries join the party as well. Then we'd be able to hear what the accents from those countries sound like.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1132804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really prefer text to be written without accents, particularly after reading "A Confederacy of Dunces" (a good book, nonetheless) where the accents were written into the dialogue, and it came to be pretty confusing to read at points.
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

In communist Harmonia, rune choose you!!

Ouch. I'm hurting cause you made me laugh so damned hard. Thats so golden.
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
Thank goodness they're not written into the text in the English edition. I probably would have put the game away and walked away from the fandom. Writing out accents have always been one of my pet peeves - a little bit goes a long way, and none goes even farther.

We're on the same page with that. I hate if a character has a southern drawl, a typical country accent, and then they spell out the words that way. My eyes do not approve!

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never noticed accents in suikoden if there were any.

However, I know how people feel with Chrono Cross. Sometimes, I have read the dialogue over again just so I can figure out what Harle is trying to say.
Lyon Falenas

12135 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow this is the return of a rather old topic.

As far as accents, pre suiko IV as there was no voice acting it had to be dictated by the dialogue. Accents do not necessarily show up distinctly in text. However you do have very different approaches from character to character in how they speak.

For instance, suikoden III had a bit of it in particular if you compare different factions. Lizards had their own awkward way of speaking compared to other grasslanders. Compare the Harmonians in the aristocrats versus the mercenaries. Kids speak differently and narcissists are well... narcissists.

Since we have now had a few games with voice acting, we do see some minor attempts at different dialects via the mermaids in IV etc. However, there wasn't a lot done and it works for convenience sake. Making up accents for each country would be tiresome and frustrating considering that there are a lack of these accents in Japanese even. Based on Lun, Subala and company in the 5th game I would not doubt they had Kansai dialect in the Japanese which explains the way they speak. But most of the Japanese language dialects are rather subtle changes. I would not wish to see localizations attempt to make accents that do not already exist. Heck, the localizations themselves have had enough problems over the years without attempting this.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Accents would be too hard to do in my opinion as each country tends to have a broad and far reaching mix of cultural influences.
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I don't think they would be too hard to do if Konami would just incorporate the accents in the voice overs. I think It would be better that way. Having accents in the speech a la Chrono Cross would just make the text difficult and irritating to read. Having the accents in the characters' VOs would be good enough. That is if they (Konami) decide to put in accents in some of the characters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: