Suikoden Uncanny and Illusional Kraalesque Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Point and Click Aventure games
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How did he do that? double post with the same text, but eight minutes difference?

The Fool
Zephon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

lag, heavy lag, sometimes i gotta wait 5 minutes to get onto the forum and into a single threat, might be the distance between server and me

(problems is that sometimes I get into the forum and threats in just a couple of seconds, so I can't quite figure it out, all I saw was that after I came back from some gaming my post was standing there, it just wasn't alone :shock: it had made a twin)

but to keep it allitle on topic, I've heard some time ago of some new C&P'er (can't remember name :( ) but in the overal line it was about a lady vampire who was searching for her dead husband for which she took up the dark gift, it was Broken Sword look alike gfx.

Zephon
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, the same thing usually happens to me also; posting took many minutes, get bored and retried only to find that now there are two of them.

I have been thinking about what Himuro has typed and I think he is right. Point-and-click adventures are dying because the genre can not be evolved. (What can be done? Adding clicker-timer? Pointing with a squarish gesture feature? It just can not be done.)

I think I am just too much in love with the puzzles and stories to be able to see that shortcoming; the gameplay were always the same. To me who never care about gameplay it is not a problem, but to other people it could be a huge turn-off.

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that people are getting too hung up on the evolution of gameplay, with this typw of game its all about the story and the puzzles.

Look at the first two Broken Swords, played nearly identically, but there stories were so different that they felt like completly different games, and can very easily stand alone whilst borrowing from the other one.

Now with Sleeping Dragon (Broken sword 3) the game system changed (well it did on PS2, which is what i played it on) which worked, but it stil felt like a point and click game, and was true to the series, this is because of the plot and the characters, and i hope the next instalment, which is rumoured to be going back to point and click can uphold this too, if it does that , i'll be a happy boy.
Kira Yamato

Dragon Army

7000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Click and play rpgs I'm not really all that into. Online I sometimes used to play ArmyNation and Mediwar but now I lost interest. I have played the Broken Sword games but didn't really get into them much.
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Err... there is a fundamental difference between point-and-click RPGs (such as Diablo) and point-and-click adventures. The RPG ones tend to focus on beating monster, doing quests and getting equipments while venturing maze-like dungeons. The adventure ones rely heavily on the explorations and puzzles, and seldom have active enemies.

They are going to make Broken Sword 4? Back to point-and-click? Now I am excited.

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have never heard of Broken Sword, but seeing as all of you seem to love it so much, I'll give it a look-see. However I am a huge fan of the point and click games like The Dig and such.

The first Point and Click adventure game I played, which surprisingly has not been mentioned, is Sierra's King's Quest series. King's Quest V was a lot of fun, and to the humorous exten, the Space Quest series was by far one of the more fun games out there. The humourous "lick/taste" function in Space Quest always allowed for a humorous laugh.

Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle are definitely top class games and I know there's at least one more in the series after Doy of the Tentacle, but I've never played it.

Discworld and Discworld 2 are absolute genius. Rincewind is truly one of the better heroes in the gaming industry, dispite his affinity for getting hit with things. Terry Preachett's humor is undeniable.

If I'm not mistaken though there were several point and click games made for the NES as well. Shadowgate and Deja Vu were actually really well done games. If I recall there were sequels to both Shadowgate and Deja Vu. Never played the sequels but the originals were sound.

I've heard good things about the Monkey Island series, but never gotten my hands on one to play it. I know there are three of them. Monkey Island, Curse of Monkey Island and Escape from Monkey Island. My friend was just talking about them the other day.

The Dig and Full Throttle are both well done. I played those years ago though, and I can't remember what to do if placed in front of me again. There ws another game I can't remember the title to, but you were an investigator and you had to go around the area looking for clues to a murder. It was like Deja Vu, but with better sound and music and story. If anyone knows what in holy matrimony I'm talking about, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Finally, the earlier Leisure Suit Larry games were of course a very great series, albeit, I won't be able to talk in detail about most of them due to their NC-17 like ratings, but they are a lot of good fun. The most recent one, Mana Cum Laude, not so good, but Love for Sail and the ones before it were very entertaining, especially if you get all the easter eggs. Hehe. Yeah.

If there were to be more P&C games being made, and being made well, there'd still ba an audience for them. Not all games have to be slaying monsters and saving princesses. Heck, The Dig's story itelf was worth playing through it, let alone the challenging aspects. I'm in favor of more P&C games, most definiely.

Edit: What exactly is Sam and Max, it sounds SO familiar!

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I know there are three of them. Monkey Island, Curse of Monkey Island and Escape from Monkey Island.

Four, actually. There's Monkey Island, The Secret of Monkey Island, The Curse of Monkey Island, and Escape From Monkey Island.

If you want to pick up one (or more) of them, I suggest the first three. The fourth, while not bad, exactly, isn't really all that good, either.

I'd have to say that the best Point-and-Click I've ever played is The Longest Journey. It has excellent characters, an amazing storyline, and really well-done puzzles. Definitely can't wait for the sequel.

Grim Fandango, while not a point and click, definitely needs to be mentioned, as it was one of the best adventure games ever made.

In fact, Lucas Arts in general deserves a tip of the hat. Grim Fandango, Sam and Max, Day of the Tentacle, the Monkey Islands...even Full Throtle. And that's not even anywhere near all of them. These guys were the kings of the genre back in the day.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

The first Point and Click adventure game I played, which surprisingly has not been mentioned, is Sierra's King's Quest series.

Heck yeah! I love that series! I'm only missing KQ1, too. I'd say the KQ6 is my fav though. Too bad Sierra had to go out and discontinue the series :(. It was one of the first games I ever played. Torin's Passage is pretty good as well.
Nekomancer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, this is my all time favourite genre of games. I don't think any one has mentioned my favourite yet though, LOOM. I loved the graphics, the music, the story, and the characters (not to mention the puns!) I started replaying all my old DOS games recently (DOSBox is love) and have been finding that I still enjoy them just as much as I did 15 years ago.

Edit: Ah! Torin's Passage! Now that you mention it I haven't seen my copy around recently. I wonder where it went.

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Edit: What exactly is Sam and Max, it sounds SO familiar!

Comic book series that became a Point and Click adventure game done by lucasarts, which went on to eventually have it's own cartoon because it was that elite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_and_Max

AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know, from everyones comments i really can't see why this is a dying genre, i just hope that Revolutions new offering can breath some life back into this type of game.

Right im off to hunt out my copies of the first two Monkey Islands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: