Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

American version impressions thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ubertronmanguy

The Hundred Acre Wood Soldier Guys

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Holy Moley didnt know about the escape route skill getting you through the forest I figured I was going to have to wait till I liberated the area before I could get acess to it. I figured out the epic skill thing when I was raising a couple of my characters skills.

Does anyone else notice the way the leveling process has been changed? Instead of massive level leaps for say fighting one really tough monster now you need to fight a group of monsters to strong for the character you want to level. I noticed this when I fought some grey Ulse monsters in the forest in LordLake and my character jumped up about 4 levels this same character had earlier been in a party where we fought the mini-boss version of the stone golem and only got one level.

I was also wondering about a few things that I've come across but havent been able to figure out yet. At he mansion of the Noble in Lordlake I'm postive I hear something that sounds like a thumping noise but have no idea where its coming from. I also hear a wierd noise when I'm at the forest in Lordlake when I get to a certain part it sounds like something is moving and its my party. I was just wondering there is anything actually there or is just nothing.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:

Anyone else feel the same way as him? I personally disagree as it makes recruiting so much more fun, going on sidequests in order to recruit them and such. And it's really not that hard, either, but it can be kind of annoying at times. I like that they gave every character a reason to fight, or something they personally grasp on to in order to join your cause.

Seems I spoke too soon.

I just finished Lelcar and I'm not getting anything except annoying things pop up in regards to recruiting.

This armor guy won't join me because he has loylty to Godwin despite the fact Godwin's forces burned down his fucking shop down. I have two mercenary soldiers who won't join because because I'm somehow not a competent general, and let my soldiers die a lot...when the truth is that I've gotten a victory + on every major battle. I have some idiot random and annoying doctor who won't pick sides to a faction like a normal doctor. There's so much more too.

I really appreciate how much they put into this game's characters but this is beyond annoying. Ideals getting in the way of practically EVERY potential star of destiny is RIDICULOUS. This isn't fun, it feels like a chore.
bbsting120

8553 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm, well i havent had a problem with any of those people you mentioned, Himuro..and i didn't use a guide for them either. *shrug* A lot of times someone won't join at first because it's too early on--but then you come back later and something has opened up and you can get them. So think of it as an introduction to the character before you can recruit later. I just check the towns after most big events and find some of the characters who were resisting joining before have changed their mind, and a new sidequest opens up or they just join.

I guess it might be a little frustrating if you have no clue what to do, but i haven't found them to be too tricky. Just a little patience is needed sometimes to see it payoff.

I don't know how it seems like a chore though...to me it's more fun than ever. You get to do a lot of sidequests to recruit people this time. It's harder, yes, but ive only used online help for a very few things this game (2-3 times) and have managed to get everyone else on my own...

And all those people you mentioned in your post I believe have a way you can get them down the road. Although I think you can get those mercs now--you need a certain character in your party. And the doctor...i got him early on, but people have said you can get him later too.

So yeah--sorry it feels like a chore to you, but i'm having a blast...
ubertronmanguy

The Hundred Acre Wood Soldier Guys

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They defintely make you work this time around to get those recruits but its not at all difficult there are still a few that baffle me but its nothing bringing a few party members around of leveling might not solve. The same recruiting methods that worked in previous Sukodens are still being used but with a few extra little bits of stuff thrown in there. You should try using the detective and checking the comment box thats how I found out about the map maker and a few other recruits.

Somone mentioned being able to traverse the hidden path in North Lunas woods with the escape route yet I have been unable too I was just wondering if getting through this forest the second time is a plot related event.

Edit: ok you can get through the Lunas woods but I dont think it works with Linfa(tried and failed) you need Takamu he prompts a little scene for that .
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

bbsting120 wrote:

I don't know how it seems like a chore though...to me it's more fun than ever. You get to do a lot of sidequests to recruit people this time. It's harder, yes, but ive only used online help for a very few things this game (2-3 times) and have managed to get everyone else on my own...

I don't mind sidequests, but asking a guy to join you 3-6 times just because he's stubborn isn't fun, it's annoying.

Whatever, I was just agitated that some of these stars don't feel grateful for what I did, especially the armor guy. I have to buy from you in order to gain your trust when I just saved your town? Forget you, I don't want you in my army.

I'll make my judgement when I'm done with the game, but I still can't help but feel a little annoyed.
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After almost completely playing the game, I can say that Suikoden isn't back. Suikoden V is not a new Suikoden II, it is a failure. Suikoden IV was a better game.

Last edited by Sami on Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Jibrille Hillbert

Lollers

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just... LOVE this game. I'm so impressed! What's impressing me the most is the voice acting! I'm usually REALLY strict about it, but this time I have no objection so far. They're quite good (of course, japanese ones are certianly better, but still...).
As for the game itself everything I can say is... WOW.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, it's great isn't it. The complexity of the recruitment algorithm is amazing. None of the FAQ I have seen has been able to give a complete picture of what exactly is needed, which is amazing. I've always been annoyed with how fast people leap onto FAQs to solve problems, and Konami sure did throw a wrench into that equasion. It was quite fun to sit around and think what is actually needed to recruit certain characters.
bbsting120

8553 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree. This game will require some patience and thought in getting everyone...but there IS logic behind everyone joining. So even though it can be frustrating and you might be like "wtf why won't they join?", it makes you really work to get them on your side.

Gone are the "So I'm bored, you have a castle...it's a date..with destiny!" Now people are who they are and aren't going to conform because you're a sexy silent prince. No, they will only join you after you change their mind, in one way or another, and while this makes the process longer and more challenging--to me that is what also makes it more fun.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Recruiting gets annoying when Oboro tells you that they're supposed to be in Raftfleet but they're never fucking there! Stupid cheetah.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got it! Now the doctor appears and I've recruited him! In order to make new available stars appear in SV after you finish story events, you have to go on to the NEXT story event. There are some exceptions but for the most part you have to start the next part of the story.

*goes on Jeane's sidequest*
bbsting120

8553 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Glad you "got it" Himuro :D

I'm amazed by the amount of sidequests and optional dungeons you can get by recruiting stars. So you not only get them but rare items and fleshed out story. It's great.
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Huge spoilers...
Lyon. The Queen's campain...I can hardly beleive allI just saw..I had forgeotten that scene from the trailers...I can barley belive what I just whitnessed. I was relitivley okay..then I saw Lyon's new portrait...

Never before has a game moved me to tearing up.

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought Galleon's flashback was more sorrowful then that.
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hawkthanatos wrote:
I thought Galleon's flashback was more sorrowful then that.

It was. by FAR. I had not seen it at the time of that post though...

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: