Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Alundra, only a game ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alucard

Blood Crusaders

2016645 Potch
214 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Alundra, only a game ? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi there my fellow SuikoX forum junkies :twisted:

This game just reapeared on my shelf and I could not help but play it again:

Alundra

This is by far the game with the most brainbreaking puzzles that I have ever come across with.
Yet even though you need steel nerves for those puzzles it is also a wonderfull game with a brilliant story and superb old school graphics :D

But as I played it for a while and the parts of anime movies came up I started to wonder : "Is there and anime of this game? Would be awsome !"

So here are my 2 questions:

1. Is there or is there not an anime (any anime) of this game titel ?

2. Have you played this game? Yes - What is your comment :D

P.S : Yes I know there is a number II of this titel but I missed the old school graphics so I never finished number II :(

Regards
Mister Alucard the vague forum junky

Proud Blade of the Nameless Lands, Alucard, Blade of Shadows
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know about any anime, but I have played Alundra. In fact, I was introduced to it by the same local game rental store that introduced me to Suikoden. Sadly, I never got around to finishing that remarkable game, but I do plan to one of these days.

Yes, the puzzles are crazily hard. The only game that ever approached its difficulty level was Wild Arms 2, and that was only on one puzzle. You have to run around on these pillars incredibly fast. That's the only other gaming instance with a difficulty level comparable to Alundra's, but it really doesn't take as much skill as Alundra does.
Alucard

Blood Crusaders

2016645 Potch
214 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In Alundra you had puzzles wich you had to do like 50 - 100 times to figure out how they worked, or being forced to do them all over because you made a stupid move :D

I also remember this being one of the most common thought during the puzzles of that game :

"Yes !! Fianlly !! I have it, wooooooot !!!"

*five seconds later*

"Argh for f*ck sake :x Now I'm stuck with that (example) pillar !"

I remember even needing a wholo day to figure out the very first puzzle with that elevator *sigh* :oops:

Regards

Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually preferred Alundra 2 over the original, if that's even possible.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I played it, fun game in all I never did collect all the stuff in the game which I once intended to try but the puzzles weren't all that hard, the only one I seemed to remember really struggling with was the ice pillars, moving them about. I actually got out a chess board eventually and sat and worked it out on that before going back to it. But that was me, I do think it had harder puzzles than the majority of other RPGs out there.

As far as I know there's no anime but the cut scenes were pretty nice, Anime News Network doesn't list an anime of it either and they have a pretty big old list of animes in general so I'd assume they're right and there's not one.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Zephon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aaahh yes, frustration, button smashing action, mind hurting aswell. The gfx that last forever imo, look at those other PSX games, those are true pixel monsters nowadays, while 2D characters were put in allot of work to make em look cool.

Also the weapons in Alundra was awesome, not to mention the items and various subgames, and extreme Boss Battle in which you could go for the stylish and controlled killing or pure slashing :) also the movies, more animated movies in games would be welcome imo.

Zephon
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked Alundra 2 but still can't see any reason why it got the name outside of trying to drum up some sales.

In that sense, Alundra 2 disappointed me because when I was younger and finally beat Alundra, the main thing that stuck out in my mind was that the final boss was actually one of the weakest demons of all, from another planet or some such thing.

At the time, that had me thinking "Well, if the second weakest demon ever turned up here, we'd all be toast.". So, I was kind of disappointed to find that Alundra 2 had nothing to do with anything.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Alucard

Blood Crusaders

2016645 Potch
214 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If I understood John Layfield his last paragraph correctly :

I believe there is always the hope deep inside, that game two continues on it's previos one :)

I know I hoped that with games like Final Fantasy first

"Wooot ! Can't wait to play with cloud again !"

-_-' How sad I was to meet uncool Squall -_-'

But then we are pleased with games as Legacy of Kain, .hack and any many more wich actually do continue on it's prequal :)

Regards

Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alucard you misunderstand.

The similarities between final fantasies are many, they have a similar storyline and progression, different worlds and times but you always save the world from some big nasty. Also one should note that FF8 wasn't called "Cloud 2".

I love Alundra 1, its definately one of the best games i played on PSX and despite everyone complaining about the puzzles I found it really fun. The thing that stood out for me though, was the immensely sad storyline. Even though the game itself was kind of cute, the whole story was very serious and sad ( bar that monkey town, <3 that music ).

Alundra 2 for me was an abomination. The only similarities one could bring are that they both had the same colour hair, the bushes look the same and its a platform game.

The story was comparitively light hearted and happy, and the minigames made it feel more like sonic or crash bandicoot or one of these platformers. Basically they took everything I loved about Alundra, threw it out the window and made another game with absolutely no similarities.

My hand/eye coordination is horrible, yet I managed to get through Alundra without much hassle, the stupid timed puzzles in Alundra 2 eventually defeated me as I searched for some semblence of the strong story of the first title. Never picked it up since and never will.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I gave Alundra 2 a shot (mainly cuz it was prized down to a 25€ as a promotion stunt), sadly enough, they didn't have the nice toony gfx (which rock!), the nice intro that Alundra had.
Also, why did they go futuristick :( I don't need to be flying in Alundra, sure a nice ship on sea, but an airship with some dumb pirate looking bad folks...
Annywayz, I'm not going to get me worked up over this game, gave me enough frustration in the past already.

Zephon
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: