Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Shadow Hearts 3/From The New World *Update - 03-07-06*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blackjack wrote:
Also...Coral...accessories? ...Why would you do that, you power gamer?

Don't judge me. :( It was for no reason mostly. I had a lot of money at the time for some reason and figured I might as well.

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you have a lot of money, you're better off pimping out your stellar charts.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I totally forgot about that, but I guess I would have figured it out when I started getting higher level spells and nowhere to put them.

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Ricardo? Rocks my world. In addition to being the most bad-assed party member ever, his skills are amazing. You know how Lucia's Oils had really useful abilities? Now picture the constant HP/MP recovery, and the Third Key effect, and the SP Restoration, and the Ability increases...in a game that is actually difficult. Plus you get a fun little song when you use them.

I agree, he's like a better version of Lucia. And that's saying alot because I hardly used Lucia in Sh:C.

Quote:
I've yet to do Johnny's as I need to do some major Picture Hunting. Here's a tip for you. Make sure you always have at least one snap card of everything. Even after Trades, you'll want to keep one.

I suggest doing Johnny's sidequests for his other abilities. I find it that "Vacumn" is the key to reducing a enemy's stock guage, especioally useful in a tough boss fight *cough*Delget*cough*. From the side-quests you also get "Panoramic Lens" to make snap cards much easier to get.
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, no, dude. I'm talking about the actual sidequest dungeons. Like, the end of the game stuff. I did their ability stuff as they became available.

And I never once, ever used vacuum. I find it much better to just use an attack that has the hard hit type. Also, Delget was a joke. A Mirror Bracelet on Ricardo, a Meteor Shower on everyone else, and his only threatening ability just because a waste of a turn. :P

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Oh, no, dude. I'm talking about the actual sidequest dungeons. Like, the end of the game stuff. I did their ability stuff as they became available.

Oh my bad. I have'nt gotten that far yet.:P

I did'nt like using Hard Hit attacks that much because it takes up som stock from Johnny. I just prefer using the vacumn to get extra stock for him. Great way to rack up combos IMO.
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What i don't like about Shadow Hearts 3 is that it is too much of a dungeon crawler than a traditional RPG. I mean, in the first two Shadow Hearts games, there was deep character development and an involving storyline. There is also a lot of emphasis put on reading dialogue between the main characters-something that SH 3 lacks. I mean, in SH 3, a lot of the plot and character development focuses on the relationship between Shania and Johnny, and much of the story focuses on these two.

In Final Fantasy VIII, there was many memorable dialogue between the characters, like when Seifer calls Zell a "chicken wuss". In SH 3, there is no such memorable scenes/dialogues between the party members. The storyline is always about Shania chasing after the evil lady and to me, it all semms so rushed. At least in Dragon Quest VIII, it wasn't all about chasing after Dhoulmagus all the time, as there are detours such as helping the Ascantha King.

Lastly, SH 3 lacks what the first two SH games have-a sense of exploration and adventure. No matter what you do in SH 3, it's all about Lady and Co. At least in the first two SH, there are many diversions and plot twists. Anyway, rant over. I hate dungeon crawlers. :(
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Beethoven4567 wrote:
What i don't like about Shadow Hearts 3 is that it is too much of a dungeon crawler than a traditional RPG.

Er... aren't traditional RPGs dungeon crawlers?

I agree with you, though; Shadow Hearts: From the New World lacks the chemistry between the characters. It does not have relationships such as Anastasia-Joachim slapsticks nor Gepetto-Yuri pervertness. After Frank, Mao, Hilda and Ricardo joined the party, they were reduced into supporting characters who only commented here and there throughout the story. The Shania-Natan connection was not well exposed, making Natan just like a shadow of Shania. Frank-Mao had many potential but subsided after they joined permanently.

I am truly dissapointed with Hilda who started promising with her being a self-proclaimed heroine/magical girl but not having adequate scenes to emphasize it.

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scrooge McDuck wrote:
Beethoven4567 wrote:
What i don't like about Shadow Hearts 3 is that it is too much of a dungeon crawler than a traditional RPG.

Er... aren't traditional RPGs dungeon crawlers?

I agree with you, though; Shadow Hearts: From the New World lacks the chemistry between the characters. It does not have relationships such as Anastasia-Joachim slapsticks nor Gepetto-Yuri pervertness. After Frank, Mao, Hilda and Ricardo joined the party, they were reduced into supporting characters who only commented here and there throughout the story. The Shania-Natan connection was not well exposed, making Natan just like a shadow of Shania. Frank-Mao had many potential but subsided after they joined permanently.

I am truly dissapointed with Hilda who started promising with her being a self-proclaimed heroine/magical girl but not having adequate scenes to emphasize it.

Yeah, of all the characters in SH 3, i like Hilda the most simply because she has a fun and quirky personality, unlike Shania who is just a woman obssessed with revenge and consumed with anger towards that particular villain. In my opinion, i would prefer if Hilda is this game's heroine, because Shania focuses too much on vengeance that she forgot the meaning of 'teamwork' and 'friendship'. She walks ahead of the party everytime she sees the villains while completely oblivious to the fact that without her party members/friends, she would be dead in an instant.

In the cutscenes, much of it focuses on what Shania and Johnny have to say, while Hilda only gets a few lines. The storyline in SH 3 seems rushed without any diversions in the plotline. In SH 2: Covenant, the character development is the best in the series, such as the relationship between Yuri and Karin, the love 'crush' that Anastasia has on Kurando, and the humor of Joachim.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't finished this game yet and I do like it, but some things nag at me, a lot. But first, the likes: Ricardo, the battle system, returning minor characters (ring soul, etc), and the main character, Johnny. But since I cannot obviously dwell upon the positive for too long, goes against my values and all, I must continue on to the bad.

Beethoven4567 wrote:
The storyline in SH 3 seems rushed without any diversions in the plotline.

Really? I thought it was just me. I've been playing this on and off since I've gotten back from my trip and I'm currently up to Aito Caves. I still don't quite have a clear picture of what I'm supposed to be doing. It seems to me that I just go through one dungeon after another and at the end, a window opens up and I kill something. Then, I rush off to the next dungeon/hotel/prison. At first, I had it in my mind that I'm after Gilbert, but then I have to save Capone, and then his sister, and for some odd reason I run off to chase a woman and some dude just because my psycho revenge woman wants to. I'm confused. Hopefully that'll clear up. But I'm really saddened that I saw Blackjack say the halfway story point was about at Las Vegas. WTF? You barely start playing and you're at Las Vegas. I hope the storyline isn't leading where I think it's leading or I may be done fairly soon. I hate really short games in general and that would be one tremendous strike against this one.

And now for some sarcasm. I am glad that they traded the perverted, but likeable tortured soul for the revenge focused nearly naked woman. Definitely more character development potential there. Oh, and I love the talking cat (am I the only one who finds the voice to be the snobby, masculine kind rather than feminine feline kind?) and promoting her acting career. I oh so love collecting those coins and fighting Mr. Miagi and the Terminator in the Pagoda of death (or whatever it's called).

Overall thus far, I find the characters lacking and the storyline not making sense while I'm actually playing it. I have to step back and think about it and then realize that the reason for me doing all that stuff in black above was because I was looking for that one guy (...that makes sense all right). I'm still enjoying the game though, don't get me wrong, but I'm a little disappointed with some of the details (and one of the not-so details).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: