Suikoden Ugly and Illusional Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Fire Magic boosting

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Fire Magic boosting Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In Suikoden III, is there any way to boost a character's Fire Magic skill by more than two grades? Or is it just the Wizard Hat and the lone Fire Magic Ring from the Azzodess?

Really, I want to know what Konami was smoking when they gave Hugo a B in Fire Magic. Geddoe is clearly meant to hold the True Lightning Rune, and Chris deserves her father's True Water Rune. That leaves Hugo with the True Fire Rune. But Konami gave him a B in Fire Magic! The Flame Champion!

Sorry for the mini-rant there, but that's been bugging me for some time.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As far as I know, the Fire Ring (can't you get more than one?) and the Wizard Hat are the only way.

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not really sure if you can get more than one Fire Ring. Maybe you should check if some of your characters came with one. I think Estella comes with one, though it's been a long while since I played Suikoden III. Anyways, I never found it to be too much of a necessity to even use the True Fire Rune. I didn't even equip any Fire Skill enchancers on my first playthrough with Hugo. Also, doesn't any of the towns' Rarity sections sell those? Well, hope you find that Ring sometime in the future, Camus the Noble. And yes, it really sucks that the Flame Champion is just above average in Fire Magic, and then he has a higher Wind Magic skill.
zincbrain

Uttuku

441117 Potch
200 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have got more than one ring of fire but that was by luck and have forgot
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Estella comes with a Lightning Magic Ring, not Fire.

The only way Hugo can get an S in Fire Magic is if he's equipped with a Wizard Hat, and three Fire Magic Rings. You can get an unlimited amount of Fire Magic Rings during Chapter 3 at the Flame Champion Hideaway. Any or all of the three main characters will do. Defeat the Azzodess there and take the Fire Magic Ring from the chest. After looting the chest, you can choose to wait for the respawn and beat it up again and loot the chest. Now, you may or may not find a Fire Magic Ring again from the chest. It's pretty random, but you can get as much as you want, provided that you don't continue on with the story.

I think the same applies with the Lightning Magic Ring at the Mountain Path to Caleria with the treasure chest guarded by the TwinSnake. As for the Water Magic Ring, there's one at the treasure chest in the Sindar Ruins, but it's not unlimited. However, you can get an unlimited amount from the Flame Champion Hideaway during Chapter 4 or Chapter 5 (not sure). It's at the farthest corpse. Of course, again, the chances are random and you may get crappy Wooden Shoes or whatever.

I haven't tried equipping 3 Fire Magic Rings yet, and in theory, I don't think it's worth enhancing Hugo's Fire Magic skill. I find him much better in physical combat. And 3 Fire Magic Rings seems like a waste of accessory slots. But let's remember that higher magic rankings also mean faster casting, and I think that would be helpful, because you get to cast spells from the True Fire Rune before your melee allies approach the enemy (unless they're super fast like Juan or Shabon).
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eh, I'll just use Lucia for the Fire casting, and let Hugo rip the enemy apart with his knife. Fire magic is risky business in Suikoden III anyway.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yes it is, all the attacks it has can all hit your allies. that is why i don't use a fire rune in the game cause it can almost kill your entire party.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Something I noticed with Geddoes party and Joker is that, when he casts most of his higher spells, the team knows to get out of the way and avoid the spell, so usually if someone dies, its Ayla (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :( ).

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believe Hugo, Chris, and Geddoe all get rather low ratings in Fire Magic because the rune is so powerful. You can cast what's usually a level 4 spell at level 2 with it, which really overpowers the rune. Also, since fire spells damage your allies at times, a lower skill rank means a longer casting time, which means you can make it carry over to the next turn so you won't hit anyone.

A flawed idea, but I think I understand their reasoning. Still, I would've preferred at least Hugo being able to get an S, and I am really looking forward to not having skill-rank-limits in Suikoden V!

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A high rank in the spell would do that as well. Allowing the character to cast a spell before your allies could even move.

And I don't recall the Level 3 spell hitting anyone other than the enemy it targetted. I could be wrong though.

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

poorguy171 wrote:
a lower skill rank means a longer casting time, which means you can make it carry over to the next turn so you won't hit anyone.

Uh... but if Emily, Juan or other melee characters have already made their actions in the first turn, they would still get hit by the Fire Magic since it gets cast on the second turn.

poorguy171 wrote:
I am really looking forward to not having skill-rank-limits in Suikoden V!

I think having limits in skill rank was much better because 1) it makes the characters much more defined, 2) having everyone with S skills isn't really that much fun, and 3) having limits will make the more challenging and will encourage players to think outside the box and find ways of enhancing the characters' strengths and minimize their weaknesses.
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Highwind wrote:
poorguy171 wrote:
a lower skill rank means a longer casting time, which means you can make it carry over to the next turn so you won't hit anyone.

Uh... but if Emily, Juan or other melee characters have already made their actions in the first turn, they would still get hit by the Fire Magic since it gets cast on the second turn.

poorguy171 wrote:
I am really looking forward to not having skill-rank-limits in Suikoden V!

I think having limits in skill rank was much better because 1) it makes the characters much more defined, 2) having everyone with S skills isn't really that much fun, and 3) having limits will make the more challenging and will encourage players to think outside the box and find ways of enhancing the characters' strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

But when you re-select casting at the beginning of a turn, you can change your targets. So, on the second turn, you could target an enemy that is far way from any other characters, and it will usually cast right away.

While having skill-rank limits can add a challenge, it also makes some characters near useless, and other ones defined as "better." For example, why use Mel when Estella gets better skill ranks? Everyone getting an S means that characters are customizable, and you can make any of your favorite characters "good." And if you really want a challenge, you can just not raise people's skills up to S :D.

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But not having skill rank limits detracts from the sense of definition in the character. If everyone can get an S in any skill, then your really strong warrior type isn't really any better than all the other characters, especially since skills are more important than stats, or atleast I remember that baing the case in III. I like having a character be strong with fire magic, but not so good with wind or water, etc. It gives us a better sense of who the character is, what drives them, and where their particular talents lie.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: