Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Keystone Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Anyone read the magazine Electronic Gaming Monthly?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dakota

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Anyone read the magazine Electronic Gaming Monthly? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This magazine IMO is the best source of game reviews and game news. Does anyone else get this magazine? By the way we also need a Topic question What is your favorite section in the magazine?
Mine is a tie between The Rest of the Crap or Hsu and Chan
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aye I've bought an issue or two and found it quite usefull. I don't subscribe to it though. That and its been a while sense I've last looked at one so I can't really say what my favorite section is.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used to, but I got tired of it dropping it's pants and hanging out brand spankin' new 10's to every hyped game that came along. (No way IMO Metal Gear Solid deserved a 10, or the N64 Zeldas for that matter.) So I dropped my subscrib. Other than that, I occasionally read GMR...but only because by subscribing to it I get a 10% of on all used games (and I only buy used games) and extra coupons in the magazine itself.

Personally, I'm not too interested in reading game mags anymore. There's no information there I couldn't get on the internet quicker and cheaper; I visit Metacritic to see the general concensus on a game by critics, and Gamefaqs for the general consensus by the unprofessionals. Plus I'm really tired of the "lads mag" style of mags (Ala PSM's swimsuit edition); seems no one realizes that girl gamers exist and are not only there "to be with their boyfriends." For people who constitute about 30-40 percent of the gaming market, it's amazing how much women are ignored by the gaming culture.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1127979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I may have gotten an issue or two a number of years ago. I generally don't buy any gaming magazines anymore except the official PlayStation magazine, and only if it has a demo which interests me. I mainly use sites such as IGN for information on upcoming games, and to see whether or not the game might appeal to me.

It's annoying with gaming magazines that are polybagged and you can't even flip through it to see if there will be anything of interest to justify the purchase. For the magazines which cover all the consoles, less than a third (or a quarter if they also cover computer gaming) of it will be relevant to a number of people who only have one system. Before I got internet access in mid-1998, I would get GamePro, but the only magazine I currently get is Nintendo Power. (in order to get the Zelda Collector's disc)

I can't remember the name of the magazine, though it went under in late '98, but it had a section at one time called "The Jaded Gamer" which is about all I can really remember about it, and it was my favourite section while it lasted. For GamePro, I enjoyed checking out the RPG section and the Watchdog page, but one which made me laugh was when they did a special on Vaporware, featuring Dueling Firemen. It was such a bizarre concept I couldn't keep myself from laughing out loud.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a free subscription to EGM-- but I personally find that it doesn't compare at all to Game Informer. I love GI-- the best magazine there ever will be. ^_^ I think their reviews are fair they have great exclusive previews and a ton of World Excluives. More then any other gaming magazine last year I believe it was. They had a ton this year-- but we'll have to wait til the December issue to tally the total.

I highly suggest subscribing to GI, seriously sometimes their magazine gets huge last winter they had issues exceeding 200 pages. ^^

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Weren't they that magazine that had the April Fool's joke about how to get Yoshi by evolving a dragonite in Pokemon? As I recall they lost a significant amount of buyers because of that scheme.

Yeah, they wrap their issues in plastic now in order to insure someone buys the magazine to see what's inside. Honestly, as Sophia said, just go online and you get what you need. Besides, it saves trees.

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Weren't they that magazine that had the April Fool's joke about how to get Yoshi by evolving a dragonite in Pokemon? As I recall they lost a significant amount of buyers because of that scheme.

Yeah they do go a bit too far in there April fools jokes(like when they said you could get Sonic and Tails in Super Smash Brothers Melee or when they said there was a topless mode in Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball) :mrgreen:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: