Suikoden United and Illusional Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Kyril and friends ambused (again)!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolf Stew

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Kyril and friends ambused (again)! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If I was Kyril or one of his friends, at some point in Suikoden Tactics I'd definitely say, "You know guys, we seriously need to be more careful about walking into these ambushes. We have to be more aware of our surroundings, and realize that we're not welcome in Kooluk."

You'd think at least Yohn would pick up signs of these ambushes, and the ninjas too (Akaghi and Mizuki are often in my party).

It's been a fun game so far, though. I'm probably nearing the end (I can level up my skills to "A" now, and I'm about to enter the Small Border Town in Kooluk). I'm not sure how it compares to other Suikodens, because the game mechanics are so different, but it's definitely a challenging game. The fun is in the battles, and finding ways to win them. The story itself almost seems like a sidequest to me. After fighting a 2-hour battle (some of them have taken that long, or they seem to), I forget that there's a story going on, and it's weird when Yohn pops up in the cut-scenes, cuz I usually forget she's in my party (since she's never in the battles).
Sadness

Razor Wind

3668814 Potch
14500 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I totally agree. The enemies popping out of nowhere seems like the writer has no real creativity!! Drives me nuts!!
Wolf Stew

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, it gets a bit samey when you're constantly getting ambushed by Kooluk soldiers or bandits. Oh well, it's just a minor complaint.
Draikhan

Ragear Dragoons

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*SPOILER*

Well, seeing as to how their in Kooluk territory for a good portion of the game, it would be hard NOT to run into Kooluk soldiers. As for all the bandits, seeing as how Kooluk is slowly crumbling away, you can't expect the justice system to be at full power. Just a thought.
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SRPG's tend to be more battle oriented than anything else. I share your feelings though on most parts. I always forget Yohn is even there too until I see her.

The people with no eyes is what bugs me. :?

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Neclord wrote:
The people with no eyes is what bugs me. :?

And I thought I was the only one who felt that way. I know it's supposed to inspire some form of 'genericness' but it just makes everyone look like mutated freaks of nature.

I'm slightly disappointed at the sheer amount of 'oh noes we walked into bandits' or 'oh noes turns out the Kooluk Army was following us for eight weeks' set-ups used for battles.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Obel Soldier

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What I enjoy immensely about this game is actually have to sit there for a minute or two, and really think about what my next move is going to be. It's kind of like chess. The only bad part is if I make a bad move, and I make that bad move during the latter part of the fight, which costs me a few deaths, I end up wasting a lot of time. The worst feeling in the world was when I got to the last boss, and I forget to equip some Rage Force Beads. And I somehow didn't have the Rage Sword Rune on me. Of course, I get schooled, and I accidentally hit "Give Up."

There goes three and a half hours. I would have tried again, but it was already five in the morning. On a work day.

Oh yeah, Kyril getting ambushed a whole lot throughout the game did not bug me at all; I was more concerned about the fight ahead. They probably had bad scouts or something. Or Mizuki and Akaghi were just sleeping on the job.

^ Shout out to John Layfield. Thanks for the sig, homes.

Last edited by Obel Soldier on Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bah. I agree entirely, there's entirely too much getting ambushed in Suikoden Tactics. It doesn't bother me too much, but it's kind of annoying.

...At least with most other strategy-RPGs your force is often attacking as well. Kyril and Co., on the other hand, since they're mostly just running around to 'investigate Rune Cannons' are rarely attacking. In fact, the only actual attack I can think of that they mount (this is, of course, after the battle on Steele's ship...) ...is at the very end of the game, when they finally go after Iskas. Even the initial incursion into the weaponry factory, the name of which escapes me, was more of an exploration than an offensive. Yet again, mind you, they were ambushed.

Playing Fire Emblem, for example, a good deal of the time you're going to attack, and you know they're going to be defending. Even in FFT, which does have a few of the 'oh noes! enemies everywhere!' moments, it's still quite a bit more varied than with ST.

Also, despite it having little to nothing to do with the actual thread topic, I feel the need to agree with Neclord and John Layfield - those blasted no-eyes people are a bit much. Every single one of them looks vaguely sinister...even though they're just random townspeople and the like. Wanting to give a feeling of 'genericness' is one thing, but you can make a pretty generic-looking townsperson that doesn't have black holes instead of eyes.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: