Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

About the music (no spoilers)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fc_conn

Campione della Fiamma

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: About the music (no spoilers) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know some of you were curious from Sars' nice preview about how the music sounded. I'll try to keep this spoiler free, since I am trying to avoid them too.

Oh, and guess what...Including battle entries and jingles there are about 188 tracks. :)

Anyway, the music is INCREDIBLE. It's very lush, rich, and powerful, with a very large amount of brass (trumpets, horns, etc.) Some of the louder tracks almost sound like a flashy marching corps show, thanks to the absolutely fantastic blaring brass and nice percussion rythms.

There is some rock (!!) - like a heavy remix of the normal battle music.

And, like Rhapsodia, we've got returning songs from other Suikoden games. You'll probably crap your pants when you hear them in game. Telling you what ones might be a small spoiler, so without giving it all away, I can say there is at least one song (usually two) from *each* Suikoden game (though sometimes counting I and II as one, since they share some music.)

As for the slower stuff, there is a lot of VERY pretty music here. And the variety is astounding. Don't get me wrong - I *love* Suikoden music. But a lot of this blows the old stuff away in terms of new ideas, expression and just sheer quality. There is a lot of piano work, and not just solos. Take one track that's nice piano breaks on the side. There is also a nice ballad that features piano, bass guitar and oboe for a very romantic and sad sound.

There is also a lot of acoustic guitar work. Check out track 26 for an example. It's very nice, and a pretty addition to the already stupdendous mix. There are a LOT of smooth, spacey synth pads used in the slower songs, creating a very soothing ambient feel, often with acoutstic guitar and flute bits in the background. In fact, it sounds a lot like Chrono Cross, but more expressive and gentle thanks to the newer hardware of the PS2. Quite a few songs also have a very dark sound, almost fitting in with, say, the Baroque soundtrack (go look it up on RPGFan. It's DARK.) Everything on the OST sounds very professional, and often breaks into new sounds for both Suikoden and RPGs in general. I can't tell you how impressed I actually am with this music.

So, here wer have a huge, 188 song soundtrack, with both blast-worthy, emotional battle tunes and soothing, relaxing, soulful music.

Last edited by fc_conn on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Topic reopened for discussion of music at fc_conn's request, but all mentions of downloadable files removed. There will not any requests for it either, please.

I find it to be way too noisy-- particularly town themes. The only music I've thoroughly enjoyed so far is the theme of Lunas. Very Qlon Templeish.
fc_conn

Campione della Fiamma

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wee! Thanks Leb. I appriciate it.

You do have a point - a lot of the music is very noisy. But I like it that way. To each his own.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm really enjoying the music.

To say the music in this is an ode to all the games is an understatement. I would go as far as to say it's my favorite Suikoden game soundtrack yet.
LaLaLaVinCE

Bro of Liang Shan Marsh

7820 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Me like the music also...and some of the music very oriental... :mrgreen:
Gaspars_apprentice

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree. I'm really enjoying the world map music especially, and also the amount of variation there is in the town and battle themes. A very well done soundtrack IMO, but I haven't decided yet whether it beats the work of Miki Hagashino on S2.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The nostalgia in this is amazing.

I've said more than once already,"HOLY CRAP they redid this song for Suikoden V?!"
fc_conn

Campione della Fiamma

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro, my thoughts exactly. Wait until you hear the Suikoden IV songs, and the one from Sui 3. I was shocked!
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gah, I hate being at school now and not being able to listen to them, feel my rage!!

Ah well, I'll just have to wait until I come home...

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Wait until you hear the Suikoden IV songs, and the one from Sui 3. I was shocked!

I....MUST....HAVE....THIS....GAME....NOW!!!!!

That is so cool that they did that. This just may beat SII music wise for me.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I LOVE that song that's mainly guitar and it has the piano in the background. We've heard a snippet of it on that one track on the official site with all those songs playing on one track. It's the one that's at the end. It's AMAZING.

Dunnnn....dun dun dunnnnnnnnnn! *guitar riff* It's great. :) I've been humming it all day, even at work.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is Theme of a Moonlight Night in this game? If so, then I'll officially jump up and down and pretend that I have no common sense...

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Something Edible

Cthulhu Fhtagn!

3000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow... the music is so good :o
The first few songs are boring, but it gets gradually better. The rock battle remix is just great, and the tracks from other games are a nice touch too. I think the music in this game is much better than the last 2 games, but I still prefer Higashino's music.

Though, track 79 was the most unexpected one... I wonder if it means anything...

MMan9000 wrote:
Is Theme of a Moonlight Night in this game? If so, then I'll officially jump up and down and pretend that I have no common sense...

It is! :D
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*jumps up and down fifty times*

Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay!

I wish that I could hear it...Oh well, I'll be excited when the game comes out *does a happy dance*

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

MMan9000 wrote:

Yep and there are multiple versions.

Quote:
Though, track 79 was the most unexpected one... I wonder if it means anything...

How so?

Last edited by Himuro on Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: