Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Kraalesque Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ranadiel wrote:
I'm sorry, but it is just not a good game. If I should feel ashamed for not liking a bad game then well....ummm I guess I don't have a comeback.

How is it a bad game? By not being exactly like the first four? That's all I'm hearing. And "Oh, the storyline was bad because I didn't like any of the characters." Wait, what?

Quote:

Yeah....that is another reason why I dislike the game. I really feel that if the people designing a game can't stay true to some of the traditions that have been established in a game series, they should just not bother and call the game something else to keep from dissapointing fans and it gives them complete creative freedom which could improve some games that keep things for the sake of keeping them.

Yeah, because no RPG series has ever tried changing things up to keep the series from stagnating. Not Final Fantasy, not Tales, not anybody.

For some reason, Breath of Fire fans are extremely against change. I remember when Breath of Fire IV came out, some people were complaining that the game had a rotateable camera. Hooooly shit.

Quote:

It isn't like they were completely out of plot threads. They could have very easily continued the storyline of BoF4. There were several things that were left unresolved that could make some really interesting stories. Also the only thing that even slightly related this game to the others are that there was a winged girl named Nina, a boy who could change into a dragon, and a nonhuman. Those do not make a Breath of FIre game.

What makes a Breath of Fire? Swords? Okay. Ryu (with blue hair)? Okay. Winged Nina? Okay. Unless it's Bleu, it's the medieval-fantasy setting that makes a Breath of Fire for you, which is so incredibly narrow-minded and uninteresting of you that I'm going to have to ignore it out of principle.

Quote:
Heck they even changed the battle system type which is sort of odd to do in a series.

Even Suikoden, a series infamous for not straying too far from tradition, has changed its battle system, almost on a game-to-game basis.

Quote:

As I said before, I just didn't feel any connection to her at all. She was just sort of there and clinging to the main character. Honostly when it comes to Ninas, my favorite will always be from BoF1(not sure why just always will be).

Well, of course's she going to cling-- unlike most clingy heroines, Nina is a little girl. What, does that mean if you found and saved a 10-year-old who was being kidnapped and she grabbed you in relief, you'd smack her and tell her to get ahold of herself? All of the information was there to understand her position, and it's very hard not to at least comprhend what the characters are about and what they're accomplishing. It sounds more like your dislike of the changes got in the way of giving the game one iota of credit.

Last edited by Leb on Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

How is it a bad game? By not being exactly like the first four? That's all I'm hearing. And "Oh, the storyline was bad because I didn't like any of the characters." Wait, what?

I just didn't like the storyline or the characters. I would go more in detail, but I played it when it first came out and seem to have either blocked or forgotten almost everything about the game except that I disliked the storyline and characters but thought the game systems were interesting ideas. I'm sorry that I'm being so vague, but that is all I really remember from my playthrough.

Quote:

Yeah, because no RPG series has ever tried changing things up to keep the series from stagnating. Not Final Fantasy, not Tales, not anybody.

I have no problem with them changing or upgrading things from previous games, but they should still keep some things the same to keep the traditions of the series the same. If you can't keep the series trations alive in the game, just free yourself completely and call it something else. Honostly at this point I can't even remember what traditions(if any) this game broke. I could say that not having multiple dragon forms was one such tradition broke, but it is a little on the weak side for a tradition. I'm just going to drop this since it is hard to identify which aspects are traditions and which aren't.

Quote:

Even Suikoden, a series infamous for not straying too far from tradition, has changed its battle system, almost on a game-to-game basis.

I'm sorry I misspoke, I ment genres. It went from an RPG to a tactical RPG. Not a large change, but it is still sort of odd. Not saying it is bad, just saying odd.

Quote:

What, does that mean if you found and saved a 10-year-old who was being kidnapped and she grabbed you in relief, you'd smack her and tell her to get ahold of herself?

I'd probably just go a long with it to calm her down. That doesn't mean I have to like her one bit.

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
Himuro

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm LOVING this game. It's by far the best strategy rpg I've played this generation, and ONE of the best rpgs I've played in recent memory as well.

This game is a behemoth. It has a really great concept that brings new concepts to the very stale strategy rpg genre. It's a really great mix and there's a lot of variety in the gameplay. You can string attacks together in a style similar to Xenogears but there's more strategy in it. Let's say for example, Nina is your party's mage, she has an attack that casts a magic glyph on the floor. It's fire based so enemies weak against fire will be ass raped if they run into it. There's more to it than that though, you have to take advantage of terrain and enviroment to actually combo these these skills together. Nina casts the fire wall ability, and Ryu uses a skill that kicks the enemy, backing up further away. You just kicked him into the fire and it literally doubles your rewards in terms of xp. Then there's the whole trap/bait system. This is really useful if you don't feel like thinking in a fight or you're going to have to battle lots of foes at once. Throw a bomb at the group before heading into battle, and once you're in the fight, use the bomb to explode each and every one of them to get mass amounts of xp. There's also a dash that consumes dragon power. You can use it to push enemies to the side if you want to avoid them. There's a lot of skills to be mixed and baits to be experimented with so the gameplay never gets stale.

And then there's the whole survival rpg bit. The Resident Evil influence Capcom used in this is high: cash is limited, item space is limited and you have to manage how you're going to deal with your items, enemies pop out of NOWHERE a lot of the times, the atmosphere is moody, dark, and foggy a lot, and then there's the big thing: the dragon counter. You have a counter that constantly counts to 100, every few steps it increases .01%, and if you use dragon powers it increases at a much much faster rate, especially in battle. Basically, as the game progresses you're losing your humanity. The flip side is that when you use dragon powers, you're going to be getting serious damage in so it has it's ups and downs, you just have to know when to use it. The thing is, once the countdown hits 100 the game ends. Tongue So yeah, if you use your dragon dash alot and dragon form in battle for small fry enemies you could easily beat with one combo in your NORMAL form, then yeah, you're going to suck and have a game over. All of this goes back to the strategy and survival aspects of this game (aside from the battle system and other mechanics I mentioned above).

THere's also the SOL system. When you die, you get sent to your last save or you can restart from the beginning. Thing is, you keep all of your items, skills, party xp, equipment, and so forth when you continue (the only thing you lose when starting a new game are levels but then you have party xp to deal out so it's no problem). This is a really neat system because it's totally nonlinear and exploitable. Like in FFX-2, you can make the game as hard or as easy as you want it to be. A good example of being able to do this would be to do boss battle runs with SOL Restore. Basically you'd use a Save Token right before a boss battle (or multiple battles), and then just decimate the boss(es) with your dragon powers in a single turn, gaining lots of Party XP in the process. Now, when you "SOL Restore" to a Save Token save, you keep all of your Party XP, your D-Counter is reset to where it was when you saved, and you're given yet another Save Token to repeat the process. You can repeat this as often as you feel is necessary, building up a reserve of Party XP to pump into your party when you're ready to continue on. It's really effective, unique, and just cool but I can understand why some people wouldn't like it, and most seem to not have taken the time to really learn how to use the system. I mean, I'm almost half way through the game and I haven't had the need to use Dragon powers and my percent is at about 12%. I don't see how it's possible to get 100% unless you misuse your dragon powers.

There's also a very very good story. Totally noncliche, engaging, and very interesting/moody/dark all around.

This is a very very solid strategy rpg. Possibly the most non traditional one I've ever played. Before I thought it was just a traditional rpg with some action elements, but now I see it's definitely a full fledged sprg with elements of traditional rpgs. I've wanted a strategy rpg that has exploration for a long while so this fits the bill very nicely. As I said though, it's not for everyone, and if you lack experience in the genre I would not suggest it. It's pretty hardened. It's difficult, and in order to appreciate the game you're going to have to know this genre inside out. I would say it's the cyber punk version of Shin Megami Tensei 3 but without Heaven's fallen angels thing to deal with or demons in general..but damn is it just as dark, stylish, unique, and has just an original premise that (apparently) few understand or not willing to invest time into to do so.

Now that I think about it, I think I've been wrong these past few years. Quality in rpgs haven't dropped at all if BOF: DQ, SMTN, DDS, Suikoden III, and FFX-2 are any indication. All of these titles have expanded the genre into something that's truly something gameplay wise. All of them have unique premises, are totally non traditional, require skill to be involved, and they all beat out anything presented in the 16 and 32 bit days in terms of gameplay. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Honestly I prefer a mix between gameplay and story, and I also have tradition and that tradition has been practically non existent this whole generation aside from Dragon Quest VIII (which is why I loved it so much). I guess my eyes have been more narrow than I've thought. The really great rpgs the past few years are just completely different types of rpgs I'm accustomed to, not that that's bad. I want more original rpg experiences like this but alas, the truly great and innovative games don't get true sequels. I'm excited even more about 2006's rpgs now.

Last edited by Himuro on Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I bought this game for $20 on a random whim.

Best $20 on a game I've ever spent. Capcom needs to take this engine and release more games using it, because it's an excellent system. Breath of Fire game or not, there's a lot of good things that are going on with it.

It took me about 40 hours to beat it the first time, but it was great. You actually have to pay a lot of attention to the game mechanics to play it well, but even if you do, for some reason, the game remains fun. If you know how to take advantage of the Save and Quit feature, you can do things like level-up cheats and item cheats and the like.

As for 2006 games? Sorry. :( I don't see any 2006 game that's going to match the gutsyness of this one. MAYBE Grandia III, but apparently it's only okay. Suikoden V is definitely not there. MAYBE Shadow Hearts III, if only because it's like the first two. MAYBE Valkyrie Profile, if only because it's like Valkyrie Profile.
Himuro

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't say I'm excited about 2006 because of the guts this game had to do something new, I'm talking about overall.

Anyways, the game really reminds me of Valkyrie Profile. :)
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believe the count is anywhere between 12 and 20 steps equals .01%. As for the D-Dive, you're usually guaranteed to eat up at least 5% of the D-Counter. The trade-off, however, is that every enemy in the game can and will go down in less than four attacks (especially if you charge before then). Of course, it's recommended that you only use it during certain tough fights-- like that long fight against Zeno or you-know-who.

For 12 bucks, you'd think people would get off their duffs and try it.
Himuro

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They won't. They're too scared a game will actually have depth and difficulty.

"If it's not completely story based it's no sale!"

Heaven forbid a game that makes you think and play beyond the usual mold. This game is bad because I don't know how to conserve items, or manage them, or exploit the SOL system, or use skills creatively to trap and inflict much damage on my opponents, and the characters that I saw for maybe 5 minutes because I didn't take the initiative to continue playing for lack of competetence!

I hate you Capcom!
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leb wrote:
I believe the count is anywhere between 12 and 20 steps equals .01%. As for the D-Dive, you're usually guaranteed to eat up at least 5% of the D-Counter. The trade-off, however, is that every enemy in the game can and will go down in less than four attacks (especially if you charge before then). Of course, it's recommended that you only use it during certain tough fights-- like that long fight against Zeno or you-know-who.

For 12 bucks, you'd think people would get off their duffs and try it.

Did you beat the game?

Spoiler.

I died at the end because, on the last boss, I got to 100% but missed hitting the guy. (If you've beaten it you will know what I'm talking about) I had to play the whole ending sequence over again. I was pretty pissed off

As for 2006, Himuro, I don't share your optimism that, overall, developers are going to introduce new, dynamics methods of storytelling and battle immersion into the RPG's. I think this year is the year of the sequel. Name a game that you're exited about in 2006 or even late 2005 that's not a sequel of some other game.

Let's see. There's Dragon Quest, Tales of, Shadow Hearts, Grandia, Suikoden, Valkyrie Profile, Final Fantasy, Disgaea...

All sequels. Will there be anything new? Maybe, in tiny bits here and there. Will any of them be as awesome and as progressive as Dragon Quarter? I don't think so. I think most of the games will be formulated like RPGs have been formulated for the past 15 years. Walk in town, leave town, fight monsters on map, go to dungeon, fight monsters, get treasure, fight boss, get storyline. Go back to step 1 and repeat.

Actually, I must confess I'm rather excited about Final Fantasy XII, because the team from Quest (responsible for Vagrant Story, Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics) is doing it. They have a history of making awesome advances in their game engines, and making them extremely fun and interesting. If anyone's going to do something new and different, it's going to be them. I'm not normally all "ZOMG FINAL FANTSY R0X0rZzZZ!!!~!!11!!!" but I think Quest has the right idea most of the time, and that FFXII might be the RPG of the year.
Himuro

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Once again, I didn't say that this year will mean new things. I said that overall I think that I have been giving ps2 rpgs too much flack and I'm anticipating this year even more.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:
Spoiler.

I died at the end because, on the last boss, I got to 100% but missed hitting the guy. (If you've beaten it you will know what I'm talking about) I had to play the whole ending sequence over again. I was pretty *beep* off

How did you miss? You're supposed to use D-Breath which, as far as I'm aware, isn't the sort of move that doesn't hit. Either way, that sucks. Is the last save point before the E-word, or is it after him?
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think. what I did, was use the D-Breath for a while, got to like 99.7%, and then I started again and the initial 2% killed me. :( I don't remember the last save point location but you have to fight that guy on that thing again.
Something Edible

Cthulhu Fhtagn!

3000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This game is, by far and so far, the best RPG I've played on the PS2. It's a brilliant game that is often misunderstood. I know many people who hate it only because it's hard, or because they were forced to restart once or twice. I also know people who hate it for not being 'BoF'ish.

As for being hard, it's one of the things I like in the game! It's quite a challenge, try beating it in less than 8 hours without hard saving to get the highest ratio! The first time you play you'd probably have to restart because you don't know how long the game is, and thus can't make assumptions about usage of dragon power. When I played it, my ratio was at 70% by the time you fight the rangers and Xeno (that's her name, right?). I asked a friend and he said it's too high to continue, so I just used SOL restart. I enjoyed the second play through much more than the first, because you keep all your party experience and locker items! This way I started much stronger and was able to reach that same point in less time. I know a person who beat the game the first time without ever using the dragon form (unless you're forced to), it's doable. And even if it isn't, you don't have to restart more than once. If you make sure not to turn into a dragon unless you HAVE to, then the game is not that hard... and even if it was hard, it's not a valid argument to hate a game. It's not insanely hard, and the battle system is fun!

As for the departure from the typical BoF style... did anyone play Resident Evil 4? That game is totally different than any other Resident Evil game, and it's also one of the best (if not the best) games in the series. Forcing the company to stay with the tried and true ideas limits their creativity and is one of the reasons we see the same game with different graphics in many game series. BoF5 is original in many ways, not only to BoF games but also to Japanese RPGs in general. Sure, BoF1-4 were cool, but I'm not sure how you'd define a BoF game; like, what makes them different from other RPGs? Let's see... I'd say the ability to transform to dragon, Ryu, Nina, good music, hunting, fishing, world map, and story about religion. BoF5 lacks the last 4. I once read that they were planning to add fishing but they didn't have the time, as for world maps, they already moved from open world maps to point and click ones, so it doesn't really make any difference. The story is quite different from other games, but if you just want to play the same game with different graphics and some extras, maybe you should play Pokemon...

I really like the story in Dragon Quarter. It's simple, and yet complex... the premise is simple, go to the surface to save a girl. But there's much more, there's the complex relationship between two friends, the cruelty of a word where people are judged by a number, a guy sacrificing his humanity to save someone, and there's also the extra SOL scenes that sheds more light on the other dragons and generals. It's quite amazing really, hiding so many deep themes under the shell of a simple story.

The gameplay is also great. The battle system blends traditional turn based battle system with strategic ones. Each character has certain roles in battle, and they all have the same importance. The ability to 'cheat' by saving, using your power, and restarting also adds to the gameplay, and I think that the designers knew about it while making the game. The game also has a high reply value, when you beat the game you gate a rating that allows you to see more cutscenes and access locked doors the next time you play, and there are also different paths you could take while playing, and lots of treasure chests to find! The ant colony minigame is fun, I like to go their when I'm in the middle of a dungeon and I got bored from fighting.

Visually, this game still looks good 3 years after its release. The cell shading is nice, and the maps are all interesting. The audio in DQ is good too; the music adds fits the atmosphere and never gets boring.

This game is so underrated. I have to agree with Himuro, it's games like this that show that the quality of RPGs haven't dropped in the last few years. It's just that the quality of the mainstream ones did (hello FFX-2!). Everyone should give it a try if they could. What are you waiting for? Go find it!

Now for some ending SPOILERS! Don't read if you haven't played the game...

The ending was a bit disappointing; he should've died! But I once read that the designers wanted to extend it so that you get to play in the world 'above the ground', and you find out its a wasteland that's no better than underground! Too bad it was rushed...
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter is my most favorite game out of all the BoF series, with BoF III coming at second.

The one thing that is most memorable to me is the script; the way the story is executed. The main story is simple, yet the script makes the story seems much greater. It is adequately dark and intriguingly myterious. Any cliche moments it may have are covered with very powerful lines. There is no unnecessary conversation, no overzealous or out-of-place lines, and there is even no monolog-ing villains.

... And the most important of all: Ryu speaks! (well, he did speak in the first BoF, but that single train of non-stop words do not counts.)

Gender Bender

52300 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hate to stay this but, I don't like this game.
I bought it for $20 last year, I was excited to play it because it is BoF. Then after several hours of playing, I started to get bored because of the battle system. I'd a hard time keeping myself alive throughout the game and shush I gave up. I exchanged it for another game the next day. This game is too much for me, believe me, I'm not that good at playing RPG's. I'm not good at hunting all items, boosting my level to the max and playing 100% of the game. I only love to reveal the story and to finish it. I'm also not good at playing tactical RPG's (but I've finished Rhapsody and FF Tactics (PS1)) but after that I started to avoid tactical games. Anyway, BoF DQ characters aren't that bad, though I miss Ryu. I've played BoF 3 & 4 and heck it was awesome! I didn't expect that DQ would be ugly (at least for me).

I salute those who have finished the game! .......coz I'm not a great gamer like you XD

~ Securing the safety of mone---I mean uhh...people of Island Nations ~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Caesar Silverberg

The New Firebringers

11708 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This game was okay, but being a fan of the previous Breath of Fire games, I was severely disappointed. I overlooked the ethopian Nina design, but the fact that you had to race through the whole game without using your Dragon Powers too much, pissed me off. The Dragon Powers are what make the Breath of Fire games so fun. What's the point if you can't use them as often as you'd like?

It's reptitive, and tiring.

Yet, I still own it, so...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: