Suikoden Uncanny and Illegal Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Age of Empires: The Age of Kings

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Age of Empires: The Age of Kings Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Have any of you here gotten Age of Empires: The Age of Kings for the DS? If so, I was wondering what your initial impressions were.

For those of you who haven't heard of the game, it's a turn-based strategy game for the DS based on the Age of Empires game for the PC. You can play as Joan of Arc, Minamoto Yoshitsune, Ghengis Khan, Saladin, and Richard the Lion-hearted.

After the Joan of Arc tutorial, I wasn't really impressed too much. The battles just dragged on without being really engaging. However, the Yoshitsune campaign is the other way around. The first level is a fast-paced, action-packed skirmish to unify the Minamoto clan. The second level is truly epic. There are various enemy bases, lots of resources on a huge map, and a considerable number of relics. Very fun indeed.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I have played this game (and its expansion) on the computer. I love it. The battles are great. I like how the battles are so different every time. My favorite civilization is the Spanish, because of the conquistadors, but I also like the Chinese and Aztecs. I liked the Ghengis Kahn and El Cid campaigns the best, though I've played and beaten them all.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is a great game on the PC. The PS2 version and obviously the DS version pale in comparison. It was meant to be played on the computer, and thus it looks and feels a lot better on its natural system. It is good that the game branched out onto a console and a handheld device, but in my opinion it wasn't worth it. I tried playing it on the PS2, with my nice 109cm TV, but the picture looked blotchy and the gameplay just felt horrible. Nevertheless, all Age of Empires game that are available on the PC are damned excellent. I have yet to play AoE III, but it looks pretty decent from screenshots I have seen, and reviews I have read.

The main thing I like about any of the Age of Empires game is how customizable the campaigns are. All you need is a little creativity, and you can make some excellent scenarios with a good story to them. I am hoping that AoE III still has a good and easy to use map-making program. For Warcraft 2, you need to know how to hack the game to actually change real mission parameters around and such. But for the Age of Empires games, you can set multiple objectives for each level that HAVE to be met to finish the stage. If you are a novice in the ways of true Warcraft 2 'campaign changing', you would never know how to change say the goal of the first level, which is to build four farms, etc. You don't have to worry about that at all with the AoE games...

Age of Kings made some nice advancements to the first game and its expansion. It has been a long time since a normal Age of Empires game has been out (bar Mythology) so I am sure the third game in the series will be mighty impressive...
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, Traz, the DS version isn't really a remake. It's a turn-based game with a completely different engine based on the same time period and concept.
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't like the demo I played for the third installment in the series, to be honest. It is set in American Colonial Times, if I remember correctly. I played one of the missions and it was no fun. I didn't like the way towns were built and I didn't like how the villagers had guns. It just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I too enjoy making scenarios, at least in Age of Kings. I've made a few nice ones in that one, though I don't know how to do it in any of the other games in the series. Are there any (Traz, hint hint) people out there that would like to play the second one with me over the internet? I think that would be cool.
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have played a lot of RTS games....including the whole of the AOE series so then I shall give you my ranking

1) Age of Kings/Conquerers
2) Age of Empire 3 (the graphics were good and I semi liked the variety between the different cultures...AI was stupid on your side during the Single Player non-campaign though.
3) Age of Mythology (Not Empires, Mythology, same concept, same company, different creators though.)
4) Age of Empires (A solid game)

Other good RTSs include

The mighty Ye-olde-256bitcolor-Caeser II (I'm so sad I can't play it on Windows XP.... :cry: )

And Zeus, can't think of any others up the top of my head, I've heard good things about Black and White II. But enough of the other games...

As to your invitation EG, I'd love to, except for the fact that at present this is not, "my" computer per say and AOE2 or whatever game, is not hooked up at present, give it time though...

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, drop me an email when you can. I look foreward to it.
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, might be a while as this is my parents computer and my father is paranoid about virus', I might sneak it though. But which game are we talking about here, 3 or 2?

~Tinto~
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We would be talking about Age of Kings, and if you have the expansion, that's even better.
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would like to play it too. You just have to teach me how since I nver played it online.

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All righty then EG, prepare to meet your doom, if you are on....
(I do have the expansion BTW)

Oh and I call the mighty Brits and their Longbows of doom!

Umm, how do I find you and play you?

~Tinto~
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, send me an email at amarant@gmail.com and I'll try to explain it to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: