Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Kraalesque Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Japanese version impressions thread (NO spoilers)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Japanese version impressions thread (NO spoilers) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The other thread is just for pics and spoiler oriented stuff, personally though, I could care less and I'm more interested in game impressions.

Bebpo at gaming-age forums made this comment:

Bebpo wrote:
Reading the Japanese boards it sounds troubling if not ;_;

They're talking about how if you thought the boat with random encounters was annoying you will be very upset about the looooong load time transitions into battle and loooading back to the world map after battle. Plus it sounds like the battles run very slow. Suikoden II at 1/4th the speed is what's written. "Slow motion battles" others are commenting :(. Sounds like outside of loading/battle the game is fine besides frequent loading into any area bigger than a small room and it sounds like the Suikoden IV cutscene -> loading screen -> cutscene -> loading screen -> is back.

It seems to me from reading the comments that the problem with Suikoden these days isn't the head people in charge. SV sounds like a great attempt at going back to Suikoden II style in 3d. So basically on paper the designers are all doing a good job. It just sounds like, similar to Suikoden III and IV, Konami has the worst programmers on the planet assigned to these games and thus tons of loading everywhere that kills any game pacing/flow. I get the feeling that Konami gives them the lowest budgets on the planet :(

I should get mine tomorrow maybe, but I hope this game doesn't suck. If it's worse than Suikoden III & IV I'm giving up my Suikoden jacket and crying in the corner.

Basically, it sounds like a lot of the problems IV had are already surfacing. Shoddy cutscenes, no data transfer, or that....that awful confirmation noise. I'm really starting to get worried.

Are the towns big? Are there actually houses to go into (ie atleast 10-12 per town)? SIV had about 3-4 houses in the whole game total. Is there a horribly edited black pause between cutscenes demonstrating how half assed the direction of the cutscenes were (apparently this is in)? Are there lots of npc's in the towns? If so do they just stand there like dolls? Is the dialouge short, empty, and feel like you just ran into the middle of a conversation? How is the random battle rate? Basically what I'm asking is, did they fix most of IV's problems?

Last edited by Himuro on Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
NichtWahr

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

According to http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=929668&topic=2654 3579 there is no noticeable slowdown while loading.
Mind you, the poster in question pirated the game, so that may somehow have an effect on things.
bbsting120

8553 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't know how reliable that person is, but it sounds promising anyway.
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

NichtWahr wrote:
According to http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=929668&topic=2654 3579 there is no noticeable slowdown while loading.
Mind you, the poster in question pirated the game, so that may somehow have an effect on things.

That was exactly what i mean... I've heard of pirated games that had a lot of these slowdowns..It's a normal effect when you use cheap media to burn the games.. (Don't worry..i have Suikoden 4 as original us and pal dvd)

The thing with the confirmation sound maybe exactly the same Michael Bolton...

Don't worry to much..Konami wouldn't be so stupid to make so annyoing mistakes when they did everything to satisfy us with Suiko5

Last edited by Leon Silverberg on Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:45 am; edited 3 times in total
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well that sounds like what we are used to with Suikoden. As long as it's a better game than IV I'll be happy.

I just hope the random encounter rate isn't as bad. I can put up with cut scenes but it's no fun trying to explore if you are thrown into battle every five seconds.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What do you mean what we're used to? SI-III didn't have such shoddy cutscenes. They also had little to no load times.
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eh... the slow load time is worrisome, although NichtWahr's link seems to discredit that particular rumor... I'm so paranoid about this game, I'm setting my expectations way too high. If this game is a flop, I'll be crushed.

But at least I'll have Kingdom Hearts II and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion as backup! :mrgreen: But I don't really worry that much; I'm sure that this game will be good.

There's my infernal optimism popping up again...
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
What do you mean what we're used to? SI-III didn't have such shoddy cutscenes. They also had little to no load times.

I am refering to there always being some sort of problem with Suikoden games. Be it shoddy cutscenes or Flik saying Emila's lines.

I wasn't meaning anything specific.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I'm just glad to know that hopefully the slowdowns aren't half (or even a quarter) as bad as that one guy said.

I didn't think that the load times on SIV were that bad...but that might just be me...

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought Suikoden 3 was very sluggish, transitions, user interface reaction times.... I thought SIV was much better in this regard. In the end, I don't mind load times, it gives me a chance to pick my nose, or scratch my bum...

Can't wait to hear more impressions!

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
fc_conn

Campione della Fiamma

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blasphemy wrote:
I thought Suikoden 3 was very sluggish, transitions, user interface reaction times.... I thought SIV was much better in this regard. In the end, I don't mind load times, it gives me a chance to pick my nose, or scratch my bum...

Haha, yes! What you said! Exactly.

I don't give a crap what anyone says about Suikoden V - I will enjoy it.
Holy Paladin

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Neclord wrote:
Himuro wrote:

I am refering to there always being some sort of problem with Suikoden games. Be it shoddy cutscenes or Flik saying Emila's lines.

I wasn't meaning anything specific.

I'm not to surprised to hear that there are problems with Suikoden V. In this series, you can't expect the games to be prefect, but you can expect them to be playable and enjoyable. So, the best advice I can give is to deal with bad things in Suikoden V because most likely the good things will make up for it.
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well like someone said, the guy that played this version pirated it so maybe the loading problems are'nt like that in the final version of the game. I seriously doubt with all the good things Konami has said about Suiko 5, they would make the same fatal mistake twice.
Besides this, are there any other impressions coming out of Japan about Suikoden 5? I do remember that there was alot of negative buzz coming out of Japan when Suikoden 4 came out.
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blazing Camp wrote:
Well like someone said, the guy that played this version pirated it so maybe the loading problems are'nt like that in the final version of the game. I seriously doubt with all the good things Konami has said about Suiko 5, they would make the same fatal mistake twice.
Besides this, are there any other impressions coming out of Japan about Suikoden 5? I do remember that there was alot of negative buzz coming out of Japan when Suikoden 4 came out.

Yeah, and we all saw that that turned out to be considered the best game. ><
Well I knew the game wouldn't be tons better than Suikoden IV in anyway but story. (Well then again the game machinics are better as well, but the loading screens didn't bother me while playing anyway.)

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
josiskrazy

500 Potch
114 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i think youve mistaken...the guy (Mox United) at Gamefaqs who pirated the game says there is little to no load timing...but the one who actually bought the same says different...i think more or less it also has to do with pesonal patience...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: