Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Samuel Alito

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What are your thoughts on Samuel Alito?
He'd be one of the best Justices ever!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
He'd be a fairly good Justice.
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
He'd be a poor Justice.
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
He'd be one of the worst Justices ever!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Samuel Alito Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, we have threads on many other major political topics, so we might as well have one on Samuel Alito's impending confirmation to the United States Supreme Court.

So, share and discuss your opinions on the Alito case. Possible topics could be abortion rights, the Concerned Alumni of Princeton, executive power, and so on and so forth.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally I dont think anyone can really become a great judge at least in their lifetime. In fact a supreme court justices decisions are usually measured following their passing, or resignation. Whether their decisions are wise or not, are up to interpretation before then, however in the long run their choices, like those of the justices during Roe vs. Wade will be judged in time. However, he is a conservative judge, who may or may not be against Roe v Wade, and if it comes to court he might decide to overturn it. That is his right, as an appointed judge to the supreme court, if that is what happens. However, he works with the laws of the land, and sets precidents, so perhaps if he see's something as unconstitutional in his opinion thats his right. Just as it would be for another to disagree with him. Really the democrats are just scared that his opinions will not fit the agenda's they want to push through the Supreme Court, and really I cant blame them. His views do not mesh with theirs, and your right it might bring about a few problems in this way for Democrats.

I personally voted that he would be a fairly good justice, because he seems to stand by his convictions which is the sign of a good justice in this way. If they cant stand by, and vote according to their convictions, what kind of judge would they be to not follow the law, rather than the opinions of some? The only thing worse than a judge like that is on of these BC judges who follow the law, but dont enforce the punishments.

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Regardless of what your feeling are about Alito, he is qualified to be on the Supreme Court.(a lot more qualified than Myers anyway)

I don't think he will be the best justice ever, nor the worst. Just a fairly good, qualified justice.

Sindarin Speed Bumps of Rage

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's difficult to...ummm...judge what type of judge he'll be at this time. Man that sounds funny. Anyway, it was pointed out that Justice O'Connor was fairly conservative at the start of her time on the Supreme Court as well, and that sometimes people to change over time. Whether you think this is a good thing or a bad thing, it is one of the results of giving someone a lifetime position in any position of authority.

So all I can say is that he appears to be highly qualified as far as his legal knowledge goes. How his votes will go, we'll have to see. While I do consider myself pretty liberal, I'm not quite willing to gut the guy just because he's a conservative.

...now that I've said that, watch my liberal theatre friends hunt me down. LoL.
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I doubt I'll agree with him on many issues, but that dosen't make him a bad judge. Like everyone else I'll say He'll be a fairly good Justice.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5684336 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I voted that he would be a fairly good justice too and he is certainly qualified. I tend to judge people in the political spotlight on first impression and he gave me a good one. We will be seeing him for a while so looks like everyone should get used to him.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Nimble Jack

Guard of the Old Way

319192 Potch
250 Soldiers
125 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I voted that he would be a poor justice. Not because of any of the decicions that he would make, or not make, but because I feel that he would give too many powers of the Supreme Court over to the Executive branch. From his review it is difficult for me to guess at any decicion that he would make becuase (at least this is how I see it) he was elusive. And I would have been too, I mean they were roasting him about everything that he had been doing for the past 10 years. I see him as a very conservitave judge and I would really feel more comfortable with an independant judge. I know that that just isn't going to happen because no president/addiminstration would use a nomination on an independant judge becuase, who knows how they would vote, and what congress would pass someone who had the potential to make both sides angry.
Anyways, my main complaint about Alito is I see him allowing too many checks to the executive branch not happen, and his evasive nature. While his nature is justifiable I would have liked him a lot more if he had cleary stated a side on one topic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: