Suikoden Utopian and Irrational Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Internal Bias Test

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Internal Bias Test Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is a test designed by Harvard psychologists to test automatic internal bias. It works by measuring how quickly you associate one race/religion/etc with "good" words (such as "peace," "love") compared to bad words ("hate," "humiliate"). The link is https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/index.jsp Very interesting... and humbling.

Fortunately, the test states that I have little to no preference toward or against Arab Muslims or gay people as opposed to straght people. Unfortunately, I appear to slightly prefer Judaism over the immensely broad category "other religions" and tend to conflate females with "family" and males with "career."

Now, these test results may upset you. Please don't get mad at me if you don't like your results.

Last edited by Camus the Noble on Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Race - No automatic preference between white people and black people
Age - slight automatic preference towards young people
Gender-Science - slight link between male and science and female and liberal arts
Weight - strong automatic preference for thin people
Sexuality - slight automatic preference for straight people
Countries - moderate automatic preference for Australia over USA
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm... judging solely from my last test, the results don't seem to work as well as one might think. I took the presidential test, and it pitted Abraham Lincoln against George W. Bush. Now, I loathe Dubya with a burning passion, and, while Lincoln isn't my favorite president, I do respect him a great deal.

The test said I had no preference. :lol:

But, to be fair, maybe presidential preference really isn't the right thing to measure. Liking or disliking politicians takes conscious thought, even though the whole point of these tests is to measure subconscious bias.
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know that this test is entirely accurate. It said I have a strong preference for the United States as compared to Canada. Which I can tell you, is entirely untrue.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I went about halfway through the first test before realising the entire thing is highly flawed in many aspects.

It seems to assume that by making you answer quickly by tapping one of two keys while switching the cateogries that related to each key that when you make a reflexive mistake that it is your 'true internal bias' shining through.

Which anyone with any sort of knowledge of such matters, and I'm not even talking about qualifications, I'm talking knowledge, should know is a crock.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
I went about halfway through the first test before realising the entire thing is highly flawed in many aspects.

It seems to assume that by making you answer quickly by tapping one of two keys while switching the cateogries that related to each key that when you make a reflexive mistake that it is your 'true internal bias' shining through.

Which anyone with any sort of knowledge of such matters, and I'm not even talking about qualifications, I'm talking knowledge, should know is a crock.

I did the "Science is to Males as Liberal arts is to Females" test, and it said I had either a slight or a moderate association. I think it was moderate. That wasn't surprising, though, considering that when I answered the demographics, I said that I was a guy, I strongly preferred science, and said that very few females were in science.

I actually found myself getting better at the game as the rounds went deeper and deeper, although the results are apparently adjusted for the order that the categories appeared in.

It should be noted that the area of study/gender one has only words, not pictures, which makes it even more of a game than the rest of the tests.

If you want to throw off this test, then switch hands after a few rounds. :)

As for it being a crock? Maybe you should read the publications regarding the project and check out the actual lab setting for the experiments, not the web version. The lab version is conducted under more controlled circumstances.
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My results for a test are: Your data suggest little or no association between European American and Asian American with American and Foreign.

I'm confused about my results can anyone explain to me what they mean, ty?

On another note: Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for African American compared to White American. Sort of interesting right there because I'm neither african american or european american. Then I took the skin tone test and they said i perfer lights over darks but doesn't that sort of contradict my results for the african/european test?
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
As for it being a crock? Maybe you should read the publications regarding the project and check out the actual lab setting for the experiments, not the web version. The lab version is conducted under more controlled circumstances.

I tend to agree with this statement, but I also more or less agree with John Layfield regarding the web version of the test. I wouldn't say it's necessarily a crock, but I can't see a way for the test to be entirely reliable when conducted by someone in the comfort of their own home taking the test and so on.

I'll assume for the purposes of this discussion that people are taking the test in good faith, and not trying to skew their results towards the one that they think they should receive...I realize that would be pointless, but a lot of things are.

Even taking the test honestly though, I can see people not taking enough time to center themselves as the topics switch positions on the screen and making errors that alter the test results without meaning to. Since large numbesr of errors seriously impair the accuracy of the data, according to the site itself, that seriously affects how reliable the web-based test is as well. I'd be very interested to take the controlled lab variant, in fact.

In any case, I got west coast vs. east coast. I'm not sure why that's the subject of a research topic, but hey. I got 'a slight automatic preference for the west coast over the east coast'...which I guarantee is true, because I know people on the west coast and I like the area, and I haven't visited the east coast nearly as often, nor do I have friends there. Also, like all affluent white males living in covenant controlled communities in Colorado, I fear New York. :D

Quote:
My results for a test are: Your data suggest little or no association between European American and Asian American with American and Foreign.

I'm confused about my results can anyone explain to me what they mean, ty?

I would interpret that to mean that you don't associate either European Americans or Asian Americans to be "American", that is, the people who are legitimately the foundation of the United States, or foreign, immigrants who are not part of that foundational group. I would say that's a good thing.

Quote:

On another note: Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for African American compared to White American. Sort of interesting right there because I'm neither african american or european american. Then I took the skin tone test and they said i perfer lights over darks but doesn't that sort of contradict my results for the african/european test?

Not necessarily...African Americans and White Americans have cultural differences as well as skin tone differences. Also, let's not forget that not all of the African Americans in the United States are recent immigrants, nor are all of them backed by generations of family here in the United States. That could be affected a great deal by your personal experience, especially if you knew some White Americans that were really distasteful to you, or some such. At the same time, aesthetically, you might prefer a lighter skin tone. I don't think those are necessarily related as well.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Parallax wrote:
Quote:

I tend to agree with this statement, but I also more or less agree with John Layfield regarding the web version of the test. I wouldn't say it's necessarily a crock, but I can't see a way for the test to be entirely reliable when conducted by someone in the comfort of their own home taking the test and so on.

I can definitely understand John's misgivings about the method of data gathering and do not necessarily disagree with him, but, like you, I don't think that it is as much of a crock as one may imagine. They do two or three tests beforehand to get you used to the system, and when they change it up, you need to start thinking again before you can sort the words. There's definitely enough repetitions (and few enough words) that you're bound to make a mistake or two, but how many are truly mistakes? That's a part of the exercise, and is an interesting Catch-22.

I haven't looked in detail at the papers myself, but I would presume there'd be a link justifying this method of data gathering. If it's a brand new method, then who knows what to expect.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's a fair assessment. But if some of the mistakes that you might make are actually proving their point, we'll never know, since the errant responses foul up the data, rather than complementing it, according to repeated warnings on the test itself. I would say, rather, that once they force you to start thinking about where you have to put some of the items, you're actually supposed to slow down enough to not make any mistakes, and from that point, if you respond faster when one of them is paired with good rather than the other, that probably indicates some sort of automatic bias towards that item.

In any case, it's most definitely an interesting concept. I doubt that they would go to the trouble of creating the thing if there was no science backing it up. I haven't poked around the site looking for the actual papers explaining their data gathering either, but I'm confident enough that there's a link there, I probably don't need to read through all their material.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

According to this I have no preferences concerning anything at all. What a boring person I must be.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: