Suikoden Utopian and Infamous Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Firefox
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dynast

Rising Storm

16559 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elc wrote:
Internet Explorer is the only browser out of the three I have used (Firefox, Netscape and Internet Explorer) which doesn't incorporate this function.

Actually, Microsoft is currently working on a version of Internet Explorer that will have tabbed browsing, according to the Microsoft website. It's still in beta testing, though, so I'm guessing that it will only be released with Windows Vista.

That being said, I love Firefox as well. Damn office computers that only allow IE. :evil:

Quote:
Firefox is safer compared to Internet Explorer

That is currently true, but according to Symantec (the company who owns Norton, I believe) in this article, IE may turn the tables on Firefox soon.

Hecklers of Firefox or stating the truth? You decide.

I myself have just started using Firefox last year after finding piles and piles of adware and spyware caught by Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy. It's been good to me save for a few updated extensions that have caused me occasional heartbreaks (like the time I updated my Wizz Newsreader to a newer version and forgot to uninstall the older version first. I ended up with a horrible empty sidebar until I played around with the settings and changed it back to normal).

Of course, my only peeve about it is the fact that not all extensions are updated the same time as the new browser versions are available. It's probably a tiny matter, considering the fact that those who make extensions are not the creators of Firefox and one shouldn't expect them to slave overtime just to make it compatible for everyone online, but it does irritate one when some of the frequent extensions that one uses are not available as the creator has yet to make it compatible with the latest version of Mozilla Firefox.

As everyone has testified, yes, the tabbed browsing has owned my entire life (together with several Internets, I believe :D ), and the customisable themes and extensions have really upgraded Firefox above the 'boring old browser' status. No more drab-grey interfaces that'll force you to open new windows: choose Firefox for a new surfing experience!

I'm currently running Firefox 1.5 with the Noia 2.0 theme(whose creator is the most efficient I've seen. He/She updated the theme a few hours after the release of the Firefox 1.5...a true show of dedication). As for extensions, I have Deepest Sender (an LJ extension), Wizz Newsreader, Gmail Manager, AbstractMouse Shared Bookmarks (which still hasn't been updated for Firefox 1.5...) and a few others that I can't remember at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dynast wrote:
Damn office computers that only allow IE.

Well you can use Portable Firefox instead. With Portable Firefox you can bring your firefox at your flashdisk. Here is the link

I'm firefox-holic. I'm using so many extension from standard like Adblock until the funny one like Firesomething (I crack it so I can use it at my firefox 1.5 version).

The minus things that I hate from firefox are :
1. Take so many time to load
2. Eat quite amount resources, but since I'm tabbrowser-holic, I don't really mind.
3. When my firefox crash, all the cache history is missing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dynast

Rising Storm

16559 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Calupict wrote:

The minus things that I hate from firefox are :
1. Take so many time to load

Interestingly enough, I've only heard complaints like that from people with slow computers (now, now, don't scream at me. I'm running at 128 RAM). For those who have higher-end computers, Firefox seems to load faster for them compared to Internet Explorer.

I wonder why?

Quote:
Well you can use Portable Firefox instead. With Portable Firefox you can bring your firefox at your flashdisk. Here is the link

Thanks for the link, but I don't think I should be running any programmes from a USB in the first place- the computer I'm using may not be compatible with it and may set off alarm sirens at the IT department (virus/trojan...). Which generally....isn't a good idea.

Thanks anyway. :mrgreen:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not the time to load a web but for load the program.
My computer has 496 MB RAM which means quite large number for now.
But still it's slower than IE and Opera also Flock.
Because of the extensions, maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Internet Explorer preloads itself into Windows when your computer starts. The difference in speed is drastic, usually upon startup.

I don't remember for sure, but if I recall correctly, Firefox uses up more RAM than IE does. At least, on Mac OS X and Linux boxes, I recall Firefox using up a lot of RAM. Still, it's hardly unusable. I have an old P-133 with something like 80MB of RAM, and when I surf the web, I use Firefox. It's a modern browser, and considering its rich feature set and its good rendering, it runs pretty well on such an old computer.

I just upgraded my version of Firefox (I had 1.0.7 for a while, it seems; for a long time I went on a Safari binge) and it's now ridiculously faster than Safari is. SARS was a bit slow when I was using Safari, but Firefox was actually slower. Now, Firefox torches Safari in terms of loading and rendering times, and even more with FasterFox enabled (I set it to Optimized, but not TurboCharged, since TurboCharged can screw up a lot of people's bandwidth and site utilizations).

Ced the Lad hasn't taken the Firefox plunge yet. I think that guy needs to get in here and read about how everyone uses it. It's a 26MB download, dude. You can do it.

BOOM!

AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

so how does faster fox work exactly?

at the moment ive only been brave enough to download themes, are there any mod/applications (such as faster fox) that people who have been using the browser alot longer would deem as a 'must have'?
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Umm btw I'm using Turbo Charged Mode at my fasterfox. Quite add the speed since the internet at my campus is relatively slow.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FasterFox works by adjusting the default Firefox connection settings. Among other things, it enables concurrent connections and pipelining.

In simpler terms, it opens more connections to the web server and grabs things like images and stuff using a different network stream. It also increases the cache size.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: