Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

King Says: "Suikoden translation has been good."
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gizel Godwin

Godwins 1st Brigade

38778 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Good translation, huh?

Guess Mr. King has never seen Emilia saying Flik's lines, and vice-versa...nor has he seen Teresa saying Jowy's lines, and vice-versa...

Or "Fubar."

Or Viktor repeatedly being called "Victor."

Sadly, naff translations are as much a part of the Suikoden series as the 108 Stars.
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Holy Paladin wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Have you guys ever considered that Suikoden II was the one that was mistranslated and III was correct?

Actually, I was going to say in my other post that Suikoden II's translation was so shoddy that it wasn't that good of a basis for checking translation consistencies anyway.

Jep, thats right..as a german player of the suiko series, it was very annoying to have so much mistranslations... It was the first suiko in german speech...and there were some scenes were they have forgotten to translate the text..so it was english or french..(no joke..)..for me the german pal translation of suiko 2 was the most annoying one..

i'v imported suiko 3 as us-ntsc and i didn't were annoyed at any time..besides the sindar/cyndar twist... personally i think they're called sindar...
Himuro

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
So it was english or french..(no joke..)

That is ridiculous on so many levels. People who do half assed shoddy work like this need to be fired.
Raww Le Klueze

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Have you guys ever considered that Suikoden II was the one that was mistranslated and III was correct?

Even disregarding Suikoden II's seniority there's no point in considering something that's blatantly wrong. Hono'o no Eiyuu means Fire Hero, they could have got away with Flame Hero but it's not right based on II.

Fire Bringer is wrong on so many levels I won't even get into it.

The only things Konami stays consistant on are the Star Dragon Sword, which should be Zodiac, and the calling the Godspeed rune a "True rune".
Himuro

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Flame Champion > Fire Hero

Sometimes in the process of localization they change words around to make them sound more fancy. If I recall, they did this for certain commands in our version of Rhapsodia for instance.

I'm not advocating and supporting their name changes, but in some cases like the Flame Champion, I'm glad they were changed.
KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:

Look at the Fire Bringer. Over the past 3-4 years, we've been repeatedly using 'Fire Bringer' as a plural, so it almost sounds right, but tell me how its possible that 'Fire Bringer' is a better name for a group than 'Keepers of the Flame'.

As for stuff like Fire Hero/Flame Champion, its basically subject to opinion which one is 'better', but as SARS said, the one that came first takes precedence, unless the first one was actually incorrect in English (Fire Bringer, perhaps).
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, I wonder what happened to "Keeers of the Flame," a site dedicated to listing translation errors within Suikoden. It was run by a guy called AsmodeanBT (aka Demon Velsper). I can't find that site anymore.
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
Quote:
So it was english or french..(no joke..)

That is ridiculous on so many levels. People who do half assed shoddy work like this need to be fired.

Yes.. that is exactly what i was thinking about when i encountered the scenes... these scenes appeared in s2 in gregminster when you tried to recruit Lorelai and when you talked to Gordon...And in the palace of gregminster..when you choose between kasumi and valeria...there was also a bug due to this..when you choose the wrong answer you got kicked out of the game...
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I assume the apologists will also claim that they prefer the version of Leon Silverberg's character where he's a morally bankrupt strategist who is defeated by Shu by virtue of his unwavering commitment to standard, uninspired strategy?

As stated several times in the thread, precedence is what matters not your personal preference. I prefer the name Flame Champion, I really do. But 'Fire Hero' came first. As they're both pretty accurate translations, it's not a matter of correcting a mistake, it's making a mistake.

I'm sure for a lot of people 'Gadget' is easier to read and pronounce than 'Karakuri-Maru'. But, likewise, it's not his name, at all.

People may be happy that the Le Buque insects have names, i.e. Mantors. Once again, it's not their name, it's an error, a mistake.

The translation is shoddy all around. There have been cases of characters saying each others lines, entire changes in character development and personality, names added in and removed seemingly at random, HORRIBLE inconsistancy about returning names (Victor? Southern City Federation?) and the notorious case of completely untranslated dialouge in Suikoden II!

I'm sorry, apologists, but the translation has always been bad.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Himuro

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Noone's being an apologist, simply making a comment. You're overreacting.

Noone would support a change of a charater's personality, that's reaching. Long, wide, and far.

Heck, I don't even remember Fire Hero or Keepers of the Flame being brought up in Suikoden II. I'm indifferent, I haven't really noticed many changes like Fire Hero to Flame Champion, or anything like that aside from the obvious Sindar/Cyndar change.

If Karakuri-Maru (Kah-rah-kuh-reeh - Mah-ruh...yeah I can pronounce that) was the original version so be it. But unfortunately I wouldn't even know that in the first place.

I know the translations for the games have always been bad, but to me overall, you can't deny SIII had the best overall translation. I'm not talking about name changes and the like either. As much as I don't like name changes, one can get over it unless it ridiculously bad (Leknart). Since I have no recollection of the original names for these phrases, terms, or names (Keepers of the Flame, Fire Hero, and the like) I honestly don't care. As long as the grammar and writing is more than adaquete and not a crap fest like what was in Suikoden II, I'm fine.

Last edited by Himuro on Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"Fire Hero" was mentioned once at Crom Village or Tinto (forgot which) after you defeat the Beast Rune. It's pretty easy to miss.

Characters are presented in a different light very often, but there really is no possible way people will notice this unless they are fairly bilingual and have played more than one version. Sometimes it is better to not know.
Himuro

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What other characters were changed?
The Chizen Star

5907 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I saw the mention of the "Zexen Rune" up there somewhere. I was playing through Suiko III recently, and this confused the crap out of me. But, I never found out exactly what was going on with that. What did they mean, there? I mean, what was horribly translated, for them to end up 'Zexen Rune"?

15501 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Magic Malcolm wrote:
Good translation, huh?

Guess Mr. King has never seen Emilia saying Flik's lines, and vice-versa...nor has he seen Teresa saying Jowy's lines, and vice-versa...

Oh, he ain't seen nothing until he's seen Nina and Flik on the rooftop... with Nina declaring her love for Odessa.

I sure wish I had a way to capture that. That is one priceless mistake.
Raww Le Klueze

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sars wrote:
Actually, I wonder what happened to "Keeers of the Flame," a site dedicated to listing translation errors within Suikoden. It was run by a guy called AsmodeanBT (aka Demon Velsper). I can't find that site anymore.

It was on a webspace that was provided by the ISP, ISP changed so the website was erased.

A lot of people seemed to have something against the site too, there were a couple of LJ-entries and things about and how much it sucked cause it didn't agree with Konami or something.

Quote:
"Fire Hero" was mentioned once at Crom Village or Tinto (forgot which) after you defeat the Beast Rune. It's pretty easy to miss.

Actually it's in Tigermouth village, and only at the end of the game but before you defeat the Beast Rune. If you go there afterwards the guy talks about how he feels Tinto shouldn't be part of Dunan.

Keepers of the Flame are mentioned in a book, don't remember if the Fire Hero is mentioned in the same book.

Quote:
I mean, what was horribly translated, for them to end up 'Zexen Rune"?

It's supposed to be Zexen Crest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: