Suikoden United and Informational Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Geographical Revelation Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I still think the "southlands" is referring to the area that was once Kooluk.

As for the unkown area and island west of Toran, it could possibly be all of Kannkan, or Kannakan on the mailand and the island being another country or unclaimed by any territory. Just a guess.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've decided to have a small crack at a higher quality map than the two colour pixel versions I normally churn out in this thread.

It's large in dimension (1472x2545) and not too shabby in file size (914KB) so I'll be linking to it rather than directly posting it and stretching out everyones screen while eating up my bandwidth for every refresh.

It has a small Harmonian slant as you can probably tell from placenames and it is very much a map 'from the timeline' rather than a detached overview of the world.

It's not actually a complete version, I just made it up to improve my l337 skills and I decided to post it. Very few towns are mentioned, for example, and a lot of the north-eastern coast needs to be updated but I feel it's a good representation of the Suikoden world.

Enjoy. http://www.theirstar.com/images/worldmapattempt.jpg
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Konami has said before that "Southlands" simply means "the south." It's not an actual geographical location. For example, people in Grassland used to call Jowston the "Southern City States." For those in Kooluk, Island Nations will be "Southland."

Wakana, Long Chan Chan, and Shin have "Southland" as their place of birth, but again this only means "southerly direction," and nothing else.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shoo, shoo! Out, damned spot! And so on.

The map has been edited to reflect this little tidbit revealed by SARS after the fact. :P It's also dropped in size by 1KB!

You should probably make an article or just a section of the site full of these little tidbits that only rise up in these discussions. These are the kind of misconceptions and brainbugs that have grown over the years. Half the community is still trying to figure out where the Southlands are, you know.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've stated the same thing a number of times in various places, but these things are likc cockroaches.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Even a post from a cornerstone of the Suikoden community can get lost in the shuffle after a while. :P

I seem to remember a sort of FAQ topic on GameFAQs where you managed to clear up some misunderstandings, answered some common questions and so on which probably had a wider impact. Similarly, I'm willing to bet that the fact the famous Georg Prime correction article was famous was due to it being an article on the site rather than a forum post put down when someone treated the wrong version of events as fact.

Maybe some sort of site FAQ or debunking page would do a lot more of these situations?

And to stay on topic: Maps are nice because you can see lots of places without having to buy a bus ticket. =)
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a cool map. In particular, I like the feel of it, like it's printed on some dusty old parchment, and the hand-inked feel of the font. Looks like a real map that one might hold in their hands. Unfortunately, all this discussion has sparked in me is a desire to play a game beyond Suikoden V, set perhaps in the Nameless Lands or the Holy Kingdom of Harmonia if for no other reason than to flesh out our understanding of that part of the world a bit more.

As for the Southlands, I'm glad Sars mentioned that, because I didn't know that. I thought it was a place as well...not just indicating somewhere in a southerly direction. It's still somewhat likely that Wakaba and Long Chan Chan are from some place like the remains of Kooluk, since most of the other 'southern' type territories are mentioned by name in birthplaces.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
KoRnholio

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How'd you find that Kain map, iscalio? Friggin Christmas! I thought that thing was lost forever.

rane: Yes, it was made pre-Suikoden 3. In 2000, to be exact.
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Parallax wrote:
It's a cool map. In particular, I like the feel of it, like it's printed on some dusty old parchment, and the hand-inked feel of the font. Looks like a real map that one might hold in their hands. Unfortunately, all this discussion has sparked in me is a desire to play a game beyond Suikoden V, set perhaps in the Nameless Lands or the Holy Kingdom of Harmonia if for no other reason than to flesh out our understanding of that part of the world a bit more.

Me too. However since Suiko 5 takes place in Falena, then maybe Suiko 6 will take place around that area. Now that we know the true size of Gaien, it's possible for a Suikoden to take place there.
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5684336 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow everything looks great and it's nice to finally get some kind of confirmation on what the landmass should look like. I think everyone who has been around suikoden for a while had a good idea of where everything should go, but the spacing between the nations is key. For a while i thought the grasslands would be spaced further west and farther away from Tinto and Dunan, but that seems to not be the case. Also it would seem that with Gaien being that large we could see a game placed there in the future. Much of the way Gaien was mentioned in Sukoden 4, but not much time was spent there reminds me of Suikoden 1 and the City States of Jowston. Just a thought and good work John.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: