Suikoden Urgent and Illegal Kraalesque Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden V release date. Bad move?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lessing

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The release dates probably will change for one or both of those games. Besides, I don't think KHII would steal any of SV's thunder anyway. Suikoden games have a small but loyal market. Chances are those who want the game are going to buy it no matter when it comes out and who it's up against. Unfortunately, I don't think that Konami's going to try to mass market it to try to appeal to a larger market this time around. They already know who's going to buy it, and it probably doesn't matter to them who they're up against either. Suikoden fans are going to buy this game. I would only think it would be a bad idea if they decided to have a huge ad campaign for it, try to build up the release for it, and then release it the same week as another huge game. But that won't happen.
fc_conn

Campione della Fiamma

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Anyways, I wonder what this "Partial Nudity" entails. A quick boob shot? The backside of a naked person? A naked Yuber making out with a naked Pesmerga? I need to know!

Haha!

And to those who are appalled at my comments - I don't want Suikoden to NOT be popular. Why would you think that? I just know that it's not as popular as Final Last Battalian Xtreme Fantasy 62, and I accept that. Like others have said, Suikoden in the US and Europe has a cult status. 'Cult status' IMHO is a much bigger compliment than "AMERICAS #1 MOVIE AGAIN EVERYONE LOVES CINDERELLA!!!!!" Cult means something is awesome, but overlooked, and was never shoved down people's throats, but rather gains merit soley on it's quality. 'Popular' doesn't tell you what kind of quality it is; it means a lot of people like it, but, sadly, a lot of people are stupid.

That said, yeah, it'd be cool to see Suiko more popular and we get more merchandise, but it's ok the way it is too. Whatever happens, I'm down.
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After reading the post above I just realized I'm a part of a cult...

*cohedlo, cohedlo, cohedlo* (RE4 inside joke)

Ahem, seriously, I wouldn't call Suikoden a cult status game, that would go to Valkyrie Profile and Vagrant Story, Suikoden did enter the mainstream, is not Final Fantasy is never going to be, and I don't want it to be, all I want is for the game to sell enough for Konami to keep on publishing on all three regions sequels of the game, of quality similar to II than IV...

But is more than cult, I see people on the street and I say Suikoden and they say "It's that edible", but I see gamers not hardcore but people who play games occasionally that say "oh, yeah that RPG with 108 characters".

So it is somewhat known...
fc_conn

Campione della Fiamma

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're right, I went a little overboard on my analogy. :)

I just didn't want it to sound like I WANTED Suikoden to NOT succeed. Of course I do! :)
EZ_Rabbit

The Blade Lackshmana

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would say Suikoden is much more "cult" than Valkyrie Profile.

Considering VP has much less of a following,
and is produced by a big time group within a major publisher.

Tri-Ace is known for quality, action oriented rpgs,
and is part of Square-Enix, the RPG juggernaut.

The same is true of Vargant Story,
a game produced by a fan favorite company,
that had Final Fantasy staffers.

Suikoden on the other hand comes from a company
known for damn near everything BUT rpgs,
and is considered THE rpg by its fans.

I dont know any RPG fan who doesnt like VP,
but I dont know any who think its one of the best.

And Suikoden is NOT mainstream in America.
Suikoden 3 got generally stellar reviews,
and that got it some lime light online and in some mags.
But in general, any major review points out its rabid, but small, fan base.

Also, I don't think it matters when KH comes out,
since Suikoden doesnt compete with it in really any significant way.

People who are going to buy KH are by and large
NOT potential Suikoden fans.

And the game isn't going to get anywhere near the advertising
to appeal to much else besides the serious gamer crowd.

The best it can hope for is the same kind of critical acclaim that III got.
That would go a long way to building a larger fan base.
But really, as long as it is porfitable for Konami,
and the game quality remains high enough for the fans standards
(which is VERY VERY high) then the series will continue
and we will all be happy.

Who really cares if it doesn't stand up to KH in sales.
It also didn't cost half as much to make.(I would assume)
Himuro

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why do you think Suikdoen is only geared toward serious gamers? Suikoden's main battle system is nothing too deep, it's easy to get into, and it's simple yet addicting gameplay.
Hiku

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Taciturnity wrote:
Besides, it's better that they release Suikoden V sooner rather then delay it for a more "convienant" release date.

As much as I have been annoyed with certain games being delayed forth and back, this is one time I wouldn't mind a delay for the game. I like Suikoden that much.
I do want the series to do well, and not be cut short from what it was first intended, due to deminishing sales and things like that.

fc_conn wrote:
Who gives a crap about how good Kingdom Hooch does against our little Ouji-sama. This is Suikoden! They are doing this for us, not the masses. :)

It's easy for us to say that, but in reality Konami need to make a profit of their products. If they don't, then we as fans might be affected by it as well, even if we keep buying the games. Some time's it's just not enough.
There are a few examples of this, such as the Xenosaga series or Tales of series.

I'll buy Suikoden V of course. But this kind of competition it'll get from KH 2 is definitely not what the Suikoden series needed right now.

VikiFanatic wrote:
Ultimately, These two games won't be in direct competition since they both have different fanbases. It's really up to the players on which they want to try out first. KHII has always been advertised well enough even in the US and abroad. However, Suikoden isn't much advertised...

I don't know about different fanbase. Of course there are those who prefer one game over the other, as with any other games. There are also many people who play both game series. The majority obviously play KH though, and never touched a Suikoden game.
The best way to get good sales is obviously not to compete with another strong title.

I will get Suikoden V no matter what, and I'm sure that's the case with many people here as well.
But Suikoden V will definitely lose out on many potential sales due to this release date.

EZ_Rabbit wrote:

Why do you say that? Sounds like you have a rather stereotypical view of KH fans. And there are so many of them that there is no way to distinguish any general type that plays KH.
And it's not like people only stick to one game series and don't look at any other.
I believe especially rpg players like to play many different rpg's because direct sequels are not that common in the rpg universe (Suikoden being one obvious exception) so it's hard to just stick to one.

As many as the KH fans are, I believe that there are many potential Suikoden V fans among them. I don't see why not?

Another thing here to concider is that a lot of people who played Suikoden IV and were disapointed in it may be swayed off from buying Suikoden V now that KH 2 is release at the same time.

Music | Kingdom Hearts OC ReMix - Above the Rising Falls
Game | Suikoden V
Anime | Death Note
Next: ????

Last edited by Hiku on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:38 am; edited 8 times in total
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He didn't say that. He said that Suikoden is not advertised enough to be known by anyone but serious gamers.

EZ_Rabbit wrote:

I have to disagree with this though. People think of Kingdom Hearts as just a fan service but it does have a good storyline and a lot of people who'll buy KHII would buy Suikoden V if they new how good the suikoden series is.
Himuro

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Who're you talking to Hawk?

Ez rabbit said this:

Quote:

And the game isn't going to get anywhere near the advertising
to appeal to much else besides the serious gamer crowd.

And I completely disagree. Suikoden is not Shin Megami Tensei. The gameplay isn't that hardcore at all. In fact, many of these KH fans have probably played Chrono Cross. Chrono Cross is very similar to Suikoden because they bit from Suikoden. In a way, they'll get used to it after awhile. The games are easy to get into and perfect for new rpg players because of their simple yet addicting gameplay. I don't see how KH fans are not potential Suikoden fans.
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Btw, according to GameSpy, Suikoden II is underrated yet cult games and I agree with that. When Suikoden III comes out, Suikoden became more popular game.

The link : http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/september03/25underrated/

So many people that I know ever played Suikoden always told me that "The game is good" or something like that. Also most of them got addicted with Suikoden II.

If KONAMI have done wrong with the marketing, why don't we as the fan market the Suikoden with our own power like put Suikoden V's banner at blog or such. Making Suikoden V's review.

If a KH fans also loves Suikoden, they might choose to play KH first then Suikoden.
If a Suikoden fans also loves KH, they prefer to play Suikoden first.
They might addicted to Suikoden V in two days playing (If the gameshop sell the game at right time).

At least it less disastrious than release Suikoden two days after KH.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fc_conn

Campione della Fiamma

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's certainly true, Himuro, that Suikoden is not hardcore. They are very gentle and fun games to get into.

I sure didn't mean to make this branch off. Let's all just say Suikoden is not super popular but could benefit from more sales to help secure the future of the series. :)
Linnaeus

Meow Mages

167580 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden may not be one of the most popular RPGs out there..but it is certainly respected and noticed. I think that's better than being popular. People will just buy Final Fantasy games because "that's what all the other RPG gamers play", but Suikoden has loyal fans who respect the story and characters...and other gamers respect the series, and recognize that it has a deep story behind it.

I've also found that many gamers who have even played Suikoden for just a little bit get attacjed to it right away. I was one of them, and you all are probably like that, too. Someday, Suikoden will become more and more popular. It's just that it's set in a "medieval" kind of time period, while the popular RPGs of the time are set in a technological time period (i.e. Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, Xenosaga, etc..).
EZ_Rabbit

The Blade Lackshmana

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

lol

Alot of responses to what I said, though a bit of a misunderstanding.

I say that KH fans will BY AND LARGE not be Suikoden fans,
because they AREN'T.

Not because they wouldn't logically have similar appeal,
being story driven, and featuring fantasy elements
and yadda, yadda, yadda,
but because as a matter of fact,
KH has a MASSIVE appeal to a wide variety of people,
and Suikoden just doesn't.

As for the serious gamer comment,
I am not saying skill level, complexity, etc...

I am saying that only serious gamers...as in non casual gamers,
are likely to be familiar with Suikoden and its rep,
and thus be willing to try it out.

Most people will not have heard of it,
because they dont read up on the games much
and dont know about underrated games.

Suikoden IS an awesome series, with simple and intuitive design,
that SHOUD appeal to a mass audience and compete with KH.

But I am saying that they wont,
because they simply exist in seperate strata of the gaming world.

Its likely that a large portion of Suikoden fans will buy KH2,
but the reverse is that most KH2 purchasers wont even notice Suikoden V.

However, I believe that as long as Suikoden continues to be
a quality franchise that appeals to a loyal fan base
then it will garner the profit to keep it around.

As long as thats true, then Suikoden isnt competing with any other series,
its not like people will really have to choose between KH2 and Suiko V,
you are only limited by yer wallet,
and we all know KH2 will probably be 20 bucks or less by the end of 06.
Linnaeus

Meow Mages

167580 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

EZ_Rabbit wrote:
*laugh*

Alot of responses to what I said, though a bit of a misunderstanding.

I say that KH fans will BY AND LARGE not be Suikoden fans,
because they AREN'T.

Not true. I enjoyed KH, but not as much as Suikoden. Does that mean that I favor one more than the other? Yes. Does that mean that I cannot be a KH fan because I'm a Suikoden fan? NO. I'm sure there are many people who will want this game. It will probably make the fans of Suikoden increase in numbers. It's just that Square Enix is a very popular and somewhat older company when it comes to RPGs, which Konami is pretty much a "newer" RPG developer.

Suikoden will continue to grow in roman numerals, and the fans will continue to grow as well. Do you think it's just going to be all the same people playing Suikoden until we die? More and more people will become fans of the series. It all has to do with storyline and graphics. KH and FF have wonderful graphics, and compared to Suikoden, they're better. But, the graphics of this game are spectacular, and many gamers will probably give it a try.

Suikoden is known as a respected series, as I mentioned before. Yes, there are going to be people who are loyal to FF and KH for a long long time, and there are people who are going to be loyal to Suikoden for a long long time, and then there's people who are willing to try a new game, due to high ratings, a large fanbase, or whatever.

Anyway, to sum everything up, Suikoden will not have a problem if it sells the same time as KH and other games. It is doing just fine, and it keeps getting better, so don't worry.

Last edited by Linnaeus on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The post you quoted stated that the majority of Kingdom Hearts fans are not Suikoden fans. It does not state that Suikoden fans cannot be Kingdom Hearts fans.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: