Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Kibbutz Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Runes influencing weather?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Regrs

15501 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Runes influencing weather? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but one thing I've noticed when I play the games is a relationship between runes and shifts in weather. Do runes in general have the ability to affect weather? Many times, the onset of a rainstorm seems to follow the spending of a tremendous amount of rune power. (Suikoden 4 spoilers, highlight to read) We've seen it immediately after Glen uses the Rune of Punishment. Also, after the Kooluk fire their Rune Cannon at Iluya island, people talk about how it doesn't stop raining there. The player can confirm this if/when they visit the island. (/end S4 spoilers)
(start Suikoden 1 spoilers, highlight to read) Not to mention, in the first Suikoden, Cleo talks about the "nasty rain" that falls the night Ted unleashes the power of the Soul Eater just to get away from Windy. Granted, I don't know if the two are related, and before Suikoden 4, I'd always assumed that rain was to set up the drama, but it's still interesting. (/end S1 spoilers)

Well, looking back over my examples, I guess it doesn't happen as often as I thought it did, but I still wonder. Are these special episodes? Is it guaranteed to rain if you use too much rune power at one time? And why?

Also, I've always assumed that if there were any runes qualified to affect weather, it would be the elemental ones. Yet the Rune of Punishment and the Soul Eater don't seem to fall under that category.

There's probably a simple answer somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

another intresting thing seems to be that when glen uses the rune of punishment to banish the fleet, clouds form, we see the power of the rune coming through them, i think that it might just be a way of setting some sort of dramatic scene, however the rain sems quite strange, but we dont really know the climate of Iiyua, it could just be in a very rainy part of the island nation, or its monsoon season..
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, looking at the creation of the Suikoden World, the world was created by the "falling" of the fragments of Shield, which became the Earth. (Although one wonders how something can "fall" before the existence of the Earth, and therefore vertical direction as we perceive it.) The True Runes also came to Earth by falling from the site of the battle between Sword and Shield. So perhaps there is some correlation due to that... rain falls too.

Of course, if there was any runic influence on weather, you'd think we'd see some extreme climate of some sort (such as flooding, draught) in the Grasslands, after the True Fire Rune exploded. Yet, nothing of the sort seems to have happened. So, it seems that runes do not influence weather in any measurable way. The rainstorms must have just been for dramatic influence.

Now, another thing this brings up is the duel between Magus and Crowley at the Badlands. If they could change the climate of such a massive region forever, while the True Fire Rune didn't make a dent in the Grasslands, what does this say about Magus and Crowley? Clearly, they were using True Runes, ones we haven't seen before. Or is there something even more powerful than True Runes out there? :? Maybe they're even incarnations of Sword and Shield. But it seems that Pesmerga and Yuber would be more likely candidates for that role. Anyway, there are a lot of potential plot twists for the Suikoden series.
El Regrs

15501 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You mean Mazus and Crowley? :P

I don't know if you need a True Rune to cause catastrophic results. Remember the devastation that befell Iluya? Not caused by a True Rune (unless, of course, I missed something in Tactics...).

Oh, one more thing I forgot. (Suikoden 3 spoilers, highlight to read)When the True Water Rune went out of control, it caused the inside of the Sindar Ruin to freeze/snow. Okay, that doesn't help the rain argument, but it did influence the weather...sorta.(/end Suikoden 3 spoilers)

But yeah, it doesn't seem to happen as often as I previously thought. Despite all the rune power used, we didn't even see a drizzle in S2 or S3.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Crowley for certain wouldn't use a True Rune. Mazus I'm guessing wouldn't either. He wants to surpass his master and using a True Rune would kind of cheapen his skill as he'd recieve this power without actually doing anything himself.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, yeah... Mazus, not Magus. :lol: So the True Water Rune really did go out of control and change the weather? Interesting... perhaps the True Fire Rune did too? In a short-term way. So, it seems that Runes may have the power to influence weather.

Where did Crowley say he wouldn't use a True Rune? But there's no way that they could have done all that damage with normal Runes. Maybe there's some branch of Suikoden Dark Magic that we don't know about? Hey, if these guys can reincarnate themselves, they're probably a bit beyond normal magic.

As for Iluya, all the Rune Cannon did was destroy a town. Crowley and Mazus turned an entire region into an uninhabitable desert.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's official that Crowley does not want a True Rune and wants to attain the power of a True Rune without actually having one - hence the 100 runes (which may or may not be an exaggeration).

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Crowley's entire goal is to surpass the power of True Runes using only regular runes. This is why Crowley has over one hundred runes embedded in his body. That's why he's the inventor of rune-combo techniques.

As for Iluya, the entire surface area was practically wiped clean. That's pretty impressive either way. The damage couldn't be more wide scale than that because there's no other land in the area besides Iluya!

We don't how big the Badlands (and therefore the Karakas Desert) are anyway. They can't be too large otherwise Jowston and Scarlet Moon would never have bothered to attack one another. The fallout from the Crowley-Mazus battle may not be as earth-shattering as some people assume.

And I'm just wondering, what aspect of weather control did the True Fire Rune call upon to burn the Harmonian and Grasslander armies? The rare effect known as... fire rain? :P
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well obvoisly John, have you never been stuck in a shower of fire rain, it burns you right through. :P

i doubt the bad lands are that big, just hard to cross, like most deserts really.

Wh do you fee that ALL runes have to have an effect on weather? not all them are the same, or have the same effects, except for dramatic clouds....
El Regrs

15501 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Camus the Noble wrote:
So the True Water Rune really did go out of control and change the weather?

Well, I remember it snowing or something inside of the ruin. But it looked more like it was caused by the rune itself, and not just something that "happens" if too much rune power is used.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Could it be an electromagnetic effect created by some form of energy produced by the rune's power?

The Rune of Punishment as well as the Rune of Life and Death seem likely candidates for runes which actually create large amounts of energy rather than elemental true runes which seem to literally pull the said weather condition out of thin air for the duration of a spell.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: