Suikoden Unique and Informational Karma Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Why didn't they keep the Doublebeat rule in the other Suikodens
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lilly Pendragon

Lilly's Entourage

8472 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Why didn't they keep the Doublebeat rule in the other Suikod Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Never heard of the Doublebeat Rule

If you mean Doublebeat Rune then I don't know. They just didn't feel like it. What happen to turtle rune? They just decided not to use it.

(Where do I come off correcting people's grammar. Oh well, I guess I'm a jerk.)

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Double-beat would be great. Suikodens 3, 5, and Tactics all use mutliple attacks per character. The Double-beat could add an extra strike. That'd be good.

I also miss the Turtle Rune. I think it should come back. And Boar and Clone Runes were cool. it would be nice to see modern versions of them.

^Actual quote!
Jhones

The Vermillion Legion

7066 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They removed the D-beat rune because the "Swing" skill and the shear fact many characters hit more then once anyway, kinda made it worthless.

I'm going to get myself banned if I keep acting like a jerk...
Admiral Ackbar

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jhones wrote:
They removed the D-beat rune because the "Swing" skill and the shear fact many characters hit more then once anyway, kinda made it worthless.

But like I said, it could have added one extra strike in addition to whatever Swing added. That would have been worth it, at least to me.

^Actual quote!
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

for sIV, it's a possibility that it was due to it being a man made rune; this could mean that it didn't exist until sI or sII, timeline wise, as for why it didn't appear in sIII, i have no idea, but the swing may be a part of it, however, double beat could be used on anyone, while swing isn't effective in all characters.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I second Jhones' statement. The introduction of the Swing (aka Battle Lust) skill into the series essentially rendered Double-Beat rule obsolete. The introduction of "real" delay between each strike also conflicts with the Double-Beat rule anyway, which is supposed to guarantee a second strike.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But sybillious has a good point in that some characters can't even use the "Swing" skill, and therefore will never be able to obtain a second attack. That's a pretty hefty penalty to take, even if the overall attack damage per hit is a bit greater. The Double-Beat would have been very nice to have on charactesr without Swing. It also would have been nice if it simply provided (even a chance, like Swing) of a second hit.

...Of course, if Suikoden V goes the Rhapsodia route with Battle Lust, which is just kind of generally mighty, (guaranteed extra hits, no interruption, no chance of failure), then the Double Beat Rune might look a bit lackluster. There would certainly be better things to spend a Rune slot on.

Quote:
And Boar and Clone Runes were cool. it would be nice to see modern versions of them.

Yeah! With like...some legit spell animations and such...and descriptions that exactly define their properties instead of...you know...no descriptions at all. The Clone Rune in particular would be easy to bring back. Boar was Pahn's deal (right?), so that one might be done.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5684690 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Or if you want to look at it in a sort of Suikoden world view you could say that Double-Beat runes are just more prevalent in the City States. If anyone recalls the Double beat rune is a pretty rare rune. There are only a couple of places you can acquire them off of Cut Rabbits and then it is just luck unless you have a Hunter rune. The Mountain pass on the way to Kyaro town is the place where i would usually try and get them. I usually spend about an hour fighting cut rabbits so i can get at least 5 of them. Gijimu also comes with one when you recruit him

There was of course the Double Strike rune in Suikoden one and 2, as my memory recalls, was a pretty rare rune itself. Although the version from Suikoden 1 is different from the one in Sukoden II, the Suikoden 1 version didn't function exactly as the Double-Beat rune did, but was basically the same thing. I believe there was only one of those available in the whole game which would make it even more rare than the Double-Beat rune in Suikoden 2.

Well after giving all of that information you could deduce that the Grasslands and the Island Nations just don't have any Double-Beat Runes. I don't remember seeing any Cut Rabbits in Suikoden 3 or 4 so that could be an answer right there. No Cut rabbits, no Double-Beat Runes.

I will admit that the reasoning probably was a more logical one dealing with the new additions and game designers, but you can always look to the Cut Rabbits.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Admiral Ackbar

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It might not be. They'll likely have the Swing skill again.

Of course, the rune could give boost to the Swing skill and delay the time in between attacks? But when I look at Suikoden V battle footage it looks like characters unload all of thier attacks on an enemy, then move on to the next and unload any remaining attacks.

Note: The Boar Rune isn't exclusive to Pahn. Morgan and Eikei can also equip them. You find an extra one at the Village of the Hidden Rune and boar enemies drop them. They're for fist/claw fighters. They get replaced by Lion Runes in Suikoden 2 and 3, and in Suikoden 4 is replaced by White Tiger (for first fighters), which was originally a unique rune for Wakaba and L C Chan in Suikoden 2, and the new Lion (for claw fighters).

^Actual quote!
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nice bit of interesting information there Blue! I found quite a few Boar Runes on my way to the Dwarves, and I'm guessing I found one in the Village of the Hidden Rune (but I can't remember it) - I just never tried to equip them to anyone else. Good to know.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
suikomasterphantom

Phantom

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Username wrote:
Never heard of the Doublebeat Rule

If you mean Doublebeat Rune then I don't know. They just didn't feel like it. What happen to turtle rune? They just decided not to use it.

(Where do I come off correcting people's grammar. Oh well, I guess I'm a jerk.)

kako bola nisi cuo za doublebeat rune alo kad me understand call me...heeeeeh
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They got rid of it for the same reason they got rid of the resurection rune. Because they're a large multinational company who seeks to rule the world by withholding runes from those who want them. DAMN YOU KONAMI, DAMN YOU!!!!!
TheStrategist

Sentinel 8

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Basically that rune was too damn good! imagine if hero4 had one. Four attacks hitting would jus be unreal. They pretty much omitted that rune and let you have Double Strike Rune if you wanted - which is not nearly as good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But Double Strike runes have always been a separate rune from Double Beat. It definitely was not meant as a mere substitution for Double Beat when they got rid of the latter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: