Suikoden Urgent and Informational Kosher Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Island Nations
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Couldn't Kooluk have been big enough to stretch across that whole region? Hell, for all we know, Kanakan was a city -in- Kooluk. We simply don't know enough.
Circle

Lighthouse Keeper

10013 Potch
226 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In suikoden II they said that Amada is from there, but only that...
they say that there are a lot of good sailors from there.
eyes that lie
break on through to the other side
break on through to the other side
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think Kooluk was in the Southlands. We don't know where the Equator is in the Suikoden world, but I would assume that it is somewhere near in the Island Nations. It feels more tropical than the rest of the world and I can't see it being hot in Toran and Dunan all year long. Obel, Mordo and Razril all seem to be Caribbean-like in climate. So assuming the Equator is there would not be too out of the question.

If that is the case, then Toran/Falena would be temperate climate and then there is room for a few nations south of that before you get to the South Pole.

I added where I think the Equator would be on the Battle Map. Using this as an estimate, there is room for three or four more nations south of Falena. That is where I think the Southlands are.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/wataru14/map1.jpg

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You could well be right, but again it is something we simply don't know. The Southlands don't have to be south of the equator. Like I've said somewhere [forget where, but on another topic discussing the Southlands], they could very easily be akin to "the South." In America, we call the southern states, collectively, "the South." They're south of us northerners, but they're by no means south of the equator. I really think that this is no different, to be honest. I think Kooluk any any other nation we don't know about to their west are nicknamed the Southlands by the people mid-continent. Just like places north of the Grasslands got the nickname the Northern Outlands. Same concept, really, I think.
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So are the Southlands really speculated to be another country? I thought it was literally just areas that are south.
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Some people think so. I don't :)
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Keep in mind that we don't know if Suikoden's world is round. It might not have an equator. Hell, even round worlds in RPGs only seem to have one pole. Does anyone else really hate that?

I don't really see a climate pattern in Suikoden. After all, if the Grasslands are that far to the north, they should be pretty cold. Yet Lizards can survive there. It's a pretty warm place, so far from the equator. Besides that, the world seems to be following the standard RPG reasoning that north=cold, and south=hot.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Star Dragon Sword

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

About the South Land thing. People in the north will say a Nation south of them is the South nations and the people in the South will have people South of them and they will call the the South lands too. Very confusing but eh?

I don't know if Suikoden world is acctually round but its very possible.
david the great

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

they do but they might be talking about Kooluk or maybe even Kanakan cuz they are all south of Toran and Dunan and in suikoden 3 i think i remember them saying that one of the Lizards was from the south so maybe the southlands are just like the grasslands. but we well not know till Konami slaps us in the face with new info on it or with a game showing us what is south of Toran and Dunan but for me i hope they slap us in the face with a game hahaha
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is it possible that Kooluk was conquered by the Island Nations and then by definition became part of the Island Nations. Therefore it would no longer be Kooluk, it would be the Island Nations land in the southern region of the land mass(I think Pangea is a good name for it). So in this case, Kooluk the nation no longer exists but the people and the area still do, and they produce good sailors(like Troy and Helmut). Basically a regional dialectual name for Kooluk may be the Southlands. I don't think that it is a nation in and of itself. The same goes for the Northern Outlands, I just think that's the name of the region. It doesn't mean that it is a seperate union of people than the Nameless Lands(which may not be unified in the end anyways). Just my thoughts on the subject.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

i think i remember them saying that one of the Lizards was from the south

Yeah, Shiba is from the south, but I think they mean that area in the South Grasslandds that is part of Tinto in our battle map (see the Zexen Borders thread elsewhere...).

Goldstar's Regiment

3495 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actualy the continent that Suikoden takes place is not a Pangea, if I remember correctly a Western continent is referenced to in Suikoden 3 as a trade partner of Zexen(which would make sense as Viney del Zexay is the main port on the west coast of the continent, besides some nations in the Unnamed Lands).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: