Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Kraalesque Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Like What a Suikoden Game Should be Alike
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Riou

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden should have:

1. Hero
2. Badguy
3. Finished

Last edited by Lord Riou on Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Jebus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nah, I can't stand happy endings. Doesn't seem real for everything to end happy.

For me, a Suiko game must have:

1) Headquarters
2) 108 Stars
3) Silverbergs
4) Major (strategy) battles
5) Duels
6) Awesome/funny unite attacks
7) Localized conflict. (No saving the world, thank you very much)
8) People important to the main character dying (Kind of morbid, but I love the emotion.)

That's all I can think of for now.

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jebus wrote:

8) People important to the main character dying (Kind of morbid, but I love the emotion.)

Ack! What they did in Suikoden I made me cry (in Soniere) last year! My first playthrough back then since I bought it used. Although it was memorable I don't think I'd constantly want to get attached and lose characters like that. ^^;
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd have to agree with Jebus. Death is definitely one of the things that keeps me interested in an RPG, as happy, goody-goody stories can get boring.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Death can be a good tool for the Suikoden series, but just like happy stories, if each game consistently had the deaths of favourite characters it would make the series a bit too depressing.

Suikoden had it's fair share of death through-out the game. Ted and Teo were killed off, Gremio died (though he was resurrected if you got all the Stars of Destiny), Black died to save Futch, who was then subsequently banished from his home, and at the end Mathiu finally succumbed to the wounds he suffered at Sanchez' hands.

Granted, it does make the experience of war a bit more real, but like TheAngelicSin said, we get attached to these characters and the hero is usually dragged into the conflict, only to have the people around him suffer and die.

Even though, in Suikoden, we never gotto play with Teo as a playable character in your party, he's still the father of the hero and fights his son to the death. It must be an awful experience to have no choice but to kill your own father, as well as witnessing your friend's death.

In Suikoden II, while it could get annoying with Nanami being forced into your party (though I didn't hate Nanami), she's the sister of the hero and when she dies (if all 108 stars haven't been recruited) it's just even more punishment for the hero who never even asked to be dragged into the conflict.

With all the sacrifice and death which occurs through-out the course of the games, it's not a bad thing for the hero to find some happiness once the obligation to the army is over.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Death in game is good but too many death would be ridicolous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: