Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Kraalesque Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden Dragons
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm... Carne clan was something i wasn't aware of... Makes sense though since Le Buque sounds way too Harmonian... Le Buque sounds nothing like a grassland clan...

Dragon Knights are competent fighters indeed, but comparing them with other fighters would be a little hard... I generally do not like using in game stats to compare character's fighting capabilities. If you ask for a competition between Percival and Futch, i'd say it's most likely evenly matched. The Futch in S3 shouldn't be any regular fighter. His skills should at least be above the average dragon Knights. Even Sharon was a competent enough fighter.

Anyway, it's always hard to compare who's a better fighter. I mean... The Zexen Knights often said no barbarians could surpass them in sword technique, and the barbarians generally say the same stuff... If you take an average Zexen Knight and pit him against a say...City State soldier... Who wins? Who knows...
Kalidor

Blazing Conflagration

1542036 Potch
308 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree Kobold, I wouldn't want to compare stats either to see who could be the better fighter. I mean it more from the sort of storyline outlook. However, I believe you are right about the Dragon Knights too; their style is hard to compare to other military forces, because they wouldn't have nearly the same type of training, nor likely the same mentality about it either. It's a way of life for the Dragon Knights, as their lives do revolve around their dragons, and being ready to enter battle for whomever they are currently fighting for. I'm thinking, for your average infantry soldier, it is more of a job than a lifestyle. At any rate, it is fun to hypothesize about these things, even if we'll never have a definitive answer.

After saying that though, I'm still of the belief that the Dragon Knights are amongst the best trained and equipped warriors in the Suikoden world, and above the average of most other military forces, but feel free to make up your own mind about that. :P
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know, for a person that didn't play Suikoden 3, you seem to be referencing it quite a bit. How would you know that Geddoe and Nash would overpower a dragon knight?

Anyway

As far as the mantor riders go, they're not just big bugs, they also have the power to blast energy from their mouths, a skill that aggravated me to no end during the game. Do I think the Mantors are a match for dragons? Hell no, but after seeing Franz and Ruby, I wouldn't call them weak, though they don't match up to Futch and Bright, or even Hugo and Fubar.

As far as them retaining independance from nations, it's not that impressive a feat. They remained strong in the face of the Scarlet Moon Empire, which, while a strong nation, is nothing like Harmonia. Klift the paladin and the warriors village retained independance from HARMONIA. They convinced Harmonia that the price of expansion would outweigh the gain, THAT my friends is quite the feat. (Now if only we could convince Saj that attacking the nameless lands is a fruitless endeavor.)

but I'm getting off topic, while the dragon knights are admittedly, impressive, they are in no way as sensational as you paint them to be.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scarlet Assassin wrote:
You know, for a person that didn't play Suikoden 3, you seem to be referencing it quite a bit. How would you know that Geddoe and Nash would overpower a dragon knight?

It's pretty widely known Geddoe and Nash are strong fighters, without a dragon to help him or her I think it's a reasonable assumption to say that Nash or Geddoe would win a bout with a normal dragon knight.

Kalidor wrote:
I'm still of the belief that the Dragon Knights are amongst the best trained and equipped warriors in the Suikoden world, and above the average of most other military forces

They may well be that, it sounds fair enough to think it even if we haven't seen all the nations out there. However I'm not sure how any dragon knight we've seen is better equipped than the average, say, Zexen Knight. Then again it's what you want to believe and like I said before there's nothing wrong with that.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

However I'm not sure how any dragon knight we've seen is better equipped than the average, say, Zexen Knight. Then again it's what you want to believe and like I said before there's nothing wrong with that.

Key words "We've seen". I think this is part of the problem, while we've seen the power of normal soldiers from every nation we've dealt with thus far, we've yet to see a "normal" dragon knight fight. Thus making them mysterious. Since we've seen fighters like futch, Milia, and Sharon (all exceptional) we assume that all the knights are such.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ashley Riot

The Queensguard

20000 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hate to bump this after so long, but given that it's right here on the first page, I'd feel equally strange about making a new topic- if I should go ahead and create a new one for this, though, just let me know and I will.

In regards to types of Dragon, Sharon's Suikoden III epilogue says she goes back to the Dragon Knights and receives a "Golden Dragon." Does that type of Dragon bear any significance? I know she's the daughter of the current commander, but I'd never heard of a Golden Dragon before that. Granted, I'm not at all familiar with Suikoden II/Suikogaiden, and it's been ages since I played Suikoden I, so I may have just missed something. Anybody care to comment on that?

"I've been shown a lifetime of oddities in a day." -- Ashley Riot
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the general assumption is that it does mean something as recognition of some kind, I just don't think it really matters. It may reflect rank, and it also may have something to do with the knights personality. It also may have to do with the fact that she wears yellow all the time, which is my bet, but there are many options that would explain why her's is gold.
Kalidor

Blazing Conflagration

1542036 Potch
308 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From what we've seen of the Dragon Knights before, I think that the color of the Dragon has no bearing at all on rank within the heirarchy of the Dragon Knights. It looks, from being in the Dragon Cave, that red and green dragons are the most common, and thus, could be taken as being the lowest ranking, if it were determined that way. That would bring up the point that Milia, current head of the Dragon Knights, rode a red dragon though. I think this pretty much kills the idea that Dragon colour is in some way related to rank or status.

However, we do know that Bright, Futch's Dragon, is a special colouration. I believe that it was stated that a white dragon had never been seen before, at least within the Dragon's Den. I don't know that it means that Bright has any special abilities or powers, only that he is a rare colouration. I think that dragons, generally speaking, seem to be created equally in the Suikoden world, and not like in DnD where the different colours of dragons have different breath attacks, magical abilities, and overall stats etc.
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

However, we do know that Bright, Futch's Dragon, is a special colouration. I believe that it was stated that a white dragon had never been seen before, at least within the Dragon's Den. I don't know that it means that Bright has any special abilities or powers, only that he is a rare colouration. I think that dragons, generally speaking, seem to be created equally in the Suikoden world, and not like in DnD where the different colours of dragons have different breath attacks, magical abilities, and overall stats etc.

I'd agree with that. Perhaps it's just regional coloration? It would explain with Futchs White(Silver) Dragon Bright was never before seen if all of their dragons were local and of similar color.
Ashley Riot

The Queensguard

20000 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So Sharon's Golden Dragon might have simply been an analogue to Bright's in terms of character design? I could buy that, actually. :wink: Given the connotations of the color gold, I'd just been wondering if it actually reflected anything about her or about the dragon.

(And out of sheer curiosity, anyone know what rank Sharon would have been in the DK's? Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but I'm curious about the entire Dragon Knight hierarchy...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: