Suikoden Uncouth and Illusional Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Castlevania series
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artificity

Ronery Puratoon

17923 Potch
0 Soldiers
750 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Starslasher wrote:
Artificity wrote:
I like the Castlevania series, really, I do. But Curse of Darkness was just a major letdown for me when it comes to the entire franchise. It's pretty much go into one corridor, fight a group of badguys, collect dropped items/beneficial stuff and move on until I feel like all the repetition has gone and forced my brain to ooze out of all my orifices. The puzzles are just a lot of backtracking and mapsearching and even though they toss a lot of weapons at you, there's really no reason to use a lot of them since they're almost all just there to look pretty.

That sound to me like you're describing each Castlevania shown from NES, PlayStation, GBA and PS2. :*laugh*: I honestly can't find too much difference with any of the Castlevania games, except for maybe the main characters. Symphony of the Night was more interesting since you don't face Dracula (i think), only that sissy Kuja-wannabe Isaac. Bu otherwise, All Castlevanias has you going through the Clock Tower, Aqueducts, fighting Legion, and so forth. There seldom are events, which may be a relief to those who dislike too many events, but it makes the game go too slow for me.

Symphony of the Night had a more interesting gameplay, i suppose, with the different comboes to pull off for the weapons, and the Evo Crystals with the IDs. While i haven't seen all of the Castlevanias, i say that SotN has the best fighting system seen. Probably better than Aria of Sorrow.

You do face Dracula in SotN, but that's one of the supposed secrets of the game. I suggest try going through the game again and getting to the reverse castle because it's a lot more fun and the bosses pose more of a challenge unless you've seen the librabrian's tactics already.

Platformers were essentially just corridor upon corridor of badguys that you just have to wade through, that's probably a given for any gamer. The real problem with Curse of Darkness is that you HAVE to do this AND backtrack several times and do it again and again, which gets more annoying with each time you do it. Not to mention almost all the badguys are located in one central area of each room that there's no variation in rhythm or fighting style at all. At least with the older platformers you had baddies appropriately peppered throughout the game (who happen to rarely repeat sprites, mind you) with very little pretense of empty glam calories.

SotN was the pinnacle of the series for me followed by Castlevania III and I'm going to whore that game out for all it's worth. For one, SotN had the best castle in the entire series. It was frickin huge and it was so beautiful and just egged you on to explore it, especially the moment you find out that there's an entire other side to the castle that you can get to to see the real ending. That's one of the things that Konami failed to reproduce in the later games, the WANT to explore more of the game. It's very hard to capture that in a 3D environment unless Konami completely rips the Devil May Cry engine so that it isn't so frickin linear anymore, but I doubt that'll ever happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: