Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Kosher Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

New Final Fantasy VII spin off revealed.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alseid

The right King of all bastards

4938 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: New Final Fantasy VII spin off revealed. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Square-Enix has announced a new spin off from Final Fantasy VII, scheduled to come out for the Playstation 2 in 2005.

It's called "Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII", the main character is Vincent and it is supposed to take place a year or so after Advent Children.

The genre is still not determined, but for the looks of the screenshots, it may(or may not) be an action game(some already say it may be similar to Devil May Cry), or an action rpg, or a healthy mix of both.

Info:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/15/news_6107494.html

http://premium.uploadit.org/dsn2000/yhhh.jpg
http://premium.uploadit.org/dsn2000/yhhh2.jpg
http://premium.uploadit.org/dsn2000/yhhh3.jpg
http://premium.uploadit.org/dsn2000/yhhh4.jpg
http://premium.uploadit.org/dsn2000/yhhh5.jpg

Looks interesting, but Square-Enix has had more misses than successes (moreso on the financial side) when it comes to non-rpg games.

Anyway, i'll see how it develops before making any judguement on it.

All the way to the edge of this world
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When will the madness end? Honestly, this is too much. The unfortunate part is that they will be making money off of this. Oh well, at least it's worth a look. At least it's Vincent's game.

Here and There

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I saw this, the response I have is "Oh... my... god...... what are they doing?"

Is SquareEnix really short of money lately? Looks like they are trying to squeeze all they can from FF7, since the recent FFs never achieve the kinda popularity that FF7 has...

Even though we know from the beginning the FF7: Advent Children is probably leading up to something, still...
Nothing wrong with company wanting to earn more money, but they are going a little too far with this...

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alseid. I was over on the Allrpg forums and there is a thread about this game also.
One of the links contained info on the game with the genre classification as RPG.

I hope this will be an RPG.
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is getting insane! I read this and thought: Why... there are 3, count them 3, FF7 Spin-offs/sequels/prequels in the making so far. Advent Children, Before Crisis, and now Dirge of Cerberus. Why can't they just move on? And people got mad at FFX-2 saying how 'every final fantasy should stay with it's own universe, and no FF should have a sequel.' Now what do they say? </FF7 rant>

Even though the movie and this new game do look somewhat cool, you can tell they're just trying to get money now....
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well it is obvious they are trying to get money.
And why not use the most popular game in the series to try to do it?
I have been hearing people crying out for a sequal to FFVII, me being one of them.
Now we are getting two! Great......and they better be because Square cant afford
another failure that was The Spirits Within.
In saying that, i have no interest what so ever in that Before Crisis mobile phone prequal.
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If there is money to be made, Square-enix will do whatever it can to make it. Other than that, I really dont mind seeing all the new spinoffs for FF7. Many things in FF7 were not explained and I'm interested to see how the story will progress in FFDC. Hopefully it will go indepth into what happens after AC, and possibly explain some of Vincent's past. Of course, we need to see the movie first. Will they ever release it???

The only real turnoff I see is that it might be an action game. When I think of Final Fantasy I think RPG, and not action. Although, as long as the quality of the story remains great and accurate, I have no problem with SE making all these new games. Yes SE is just doing it for the money, FF7 is arguably the best FF they have ever released and they will take advantage of it. They just need to stop soon because it wil eventually make the story stale.
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

!!!

As much as I've always loved Final Fantasy VII and wanted to see a sequel of it (since it was my first dip into the RPG world and stood my favorite game for quite some time until I gave Suikoden another look...) this is getting RIDICULOUS.

First off, they go and make a prequel... with the TURKS... and it's on CELL PHONE only - which really pisses me off because the Turks and Shinra were my favorite part of the FF7verse and I won't be able to play that (and it's kind of odd looking to be honest =\).

And now they're getting just a little too frequent with the Final Fantasy VII spinoffs. Three announced before Advent Children even shows itself to the viewers? Eck...

I always just hoped for a remake of the original game - 'cause that would've been cool. But spinoffs and all that seem a little past ridiculous. And I will watch Advent Children in the end and probably pick up the Vincent game because I am an FF7 fan afterall... I'm just really getting annoyed because they're releasing three within a short time frame and there's a lot of potential screw ups.

Not cool Square-Enix. Not cool...

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm fine with Advent Children (despite the immensely scathing predictions it's been given,) and I was even fine with Before Crisis (what can I say, I'm a Turks fan,)

But /three/ games? I dont even /like/ Vincent. He was my least favorite character. Damn it, Square, you're making it hard for the fans who've survived FFX-2, the constant barrage of 'if you like ff you're a FANBOY omfg,' and the general consensus that if you like square games you're a graphics whore, to stay faithful.

Edit: On second look..... VINCENT MAY CRY anyone? har har har.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
But /three/ games? I dont even /like/ Vincent. He was my least favorite character. Damn it, Square, you're making it hard for the fans who've survived FFX-2, the constant barrage of 'if you like ff you're a FANBOY omfg,' and the general consensus that if you like square games you're a graphics whore, to stay faithful.

Actually, that's probably not too far off from the Truth. Look at X-2. I haven't heard anyone say they thoroughly enjoyed the game. They comment on the graphics and that's about it. Personally, I think Square-Enix's best games are the ones without the words "final" and "fantasy". it never usd to be that way. Now their best games are on Enix's line. Ff can take a backseat to Star Ocean and Dragon Warrior.

Vincent May Cry, huh? I think most of us WILL cry if we see another FF7 spin off. the sad part is, nowadays, with Square's policy, there's actually a good chance of that happening.

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm just hoping they don't mess around with Aeris. ;P She's been gone for 7 years; let's leave it at that Square! But with her appearance in Kingdom Hearts and then the screenshots, albeit they may be from memories long past, it does seem likely they may try to pull such a stunt..

Personally I love games for the games themselves - not for the graphics - although it would be awesome to see Square-Enix revive the ACTUAL Final Fantasy VII with improved graphics. ;P I mean... FF7 characters were blocks. Stick me with 2D sprites any day...

Final Fantasy keeps going downhill it seems. =\ I actually find myself caring less and less about getting most things from that series. That's probably why I picked up Suikoden and played around with it again after not touching it for a while. >P At least one good thing came out of that, heh.

While on the subject of Final Fantasy... is anyone else a bit irked with the idea of Final Fantasy XII? I'm not too big a fan of the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance breeds and... XII adopted the viera. *Sigh* Not that it's horrible... just a bit disheartening. Who knows, it may turn out well but in the meantime I'm only really waiting for Wild ARMs Alter Code F and Suikoden IV. ;P Final Fantasy XII takes the backseat.

Vincent was popular among doujinshi circles so it's quite possible that Square-Enix saw the potential in making a sequel with Vincent as the star. Personally, he didn't appeal to me too much, especially since I missed getting him in the game during my first playthrough. *Shrugs* He just wasn't that important in my opinion. Sure, he looks cool but he's kind of... boring. Maybe the sequel will change my view but I'd much rather have had a sequel with Cid if anything. ;P You know it'd be some oddball game if Cid were the star!

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

TheAngelicSin wrote:
Maybe the sequel will change my view but I'd much rather have had a sequel with Cid if anything. ;P You know it'd be some oddball game if Cid were the star!

lol

but that would offer the opportunity of an /entertaining/ game. See, with Vincent, we get ANGST.

"Oh poor vampirish me, I have this arm and I sinned and NOBODY LOVES ME."

ect.

I bet this game will be the most uplifting rpg in some time.
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wasn't being sarcastic though, hehe. I actually would have rather heard they were making a sequel for Cid. ^^; I liked him! And the catchphrase for the game could've been the whole, "Sit down and drink your goddamned tea!" line (or however it's precisely phrased).

Again, perhaps it will be a great RPG, I don't know. But I'm still very disappointed that a flood of FF7 is suddenly coming out. They could really mess up the FF7 universe and it was my first and favorite of the Final Fantasy series. ;P I don't want to see it getting screwed over. Perhaps the flood will be followed by sunshine.

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Actually, that's probably not too far off from the Truth. Look at X-2. I haven't heard anyone say they thoroughly enjoyed the game. They comment on the graphics and that's about it. Personally, I think Square-Enix's best games are the ones without the words "final" and "fantasy". it never usd to be that way. Now their best games are on Enix's line. Ff can take a backseat to Star Ocean and Dragon Warrior.

I thoroughly enjoyed X-2. Not just for the graphics either. I liked how they tied up loose ends from X and especially how after the world's leader, the church of yevon, broke up, new factions emerged.

DoC may or may not be any good. I think I'd have more fun with it if it were a traditional RPG where one could use more than just Vincent in their party. If it's an action RPG, it will be a little bit of a turn off, but i'll probably still purchase it.

On the other hand, I'd really rather have a spin off about Barret :P[/quote]
Alseid

The right King of all bastards

4938 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Honestly, i'd be much more interested in it if it was an action game (asuming they manage to make it right). Even more so if it follows the line of Devil May Cry. But seeing how most games that have tried to do that turned out mediocre at best (Chaos Legion, Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, or even DMC2 itself), or simply broken (Ninja Gaiden, or so i hear)...

All the way to the edge of this world
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: