Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Knowledge Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Who's the best Hero?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best Hero?
Tir
50%
 50%  [ 21 ]
Riou
19%
 19%  [ 8 ]
Thomas
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Hugo
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Geddoe
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Chris
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 42

Sana

Acolytes of Chisha

6534 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I chose Hugo. I just like all the troubles he went through, and his personality. He cared for what was close to him, and was always trying to defend things that were close to him. Not to mention, mounted on Fubar, he was awesome.
Fragola

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I choose Thomas because I really feel he was the bravest "hero". It's hard to put into words what I mean, but I will give it my best shot.

I think that the other contenders all had "something" to help them out. They were already warriors or heroes in their own countries or had some amount of training in fighting, and they also had friends (often times powerful, strong, or clever friends, or all 3) and relatives to aid them.

For example, McDohl was not only the son of one of the 6 Great Generals of the Scarlet Moon Empire, which already gave him some degree of "prestige", but he also had Cleo, Pahn, and Gremio at his side, and then Viktor as well. He also had experience fighting, and later came to possess the Soul Eater Rune. Even though the rune caused him great pain and suffering, I don't think that it could be denied that the rune also helped him greatly in his quest.

The hero of Suikoden 2 also had been trained by his adoptive grandfather to fight from an early age, and he had his sister's support (and Jowy's too, at first) no matter what happened. I think, at the beginning at least, no one was really "expecting" things from him (not until they chose him as the leader, at least).

Thomas probably had only his mother by his side (he never mentioned any friends from his hometown, though I suppose that does not mean he didn't have any, but they weren't present during those difficult times in the game), and then he lost her. He had to come to a strange land all by himself, was rejected by his father and pretty much tossed aside where he could do the "least amount of damage" (or something @_@). The people of the castle were all expecting him to try to get the castle back on its feet again. He did make friends with the inhabitants of Budehuc Castle, but none of them were exactly influential or powerful or anything, so Thomas pretty much had to start from scratch to get the castle running again. He knew that he had no real special skills, especially in fighting (>.< He kept DYING in battle! Waaaah...), yet he still stood up to the Zexens who tried to take the castle away, and he still was brave enough to offer Budehuc Castle's help to the Flame Champion and everything.

I suppose I just think that, while the deeds of the other heroes probably sound more impressive and difficult, everything is relative and Thomas, in the situations he was faced with, had a more difficult time.

Plus I just like Thomas a lot. ^_^;;

I hope that made some sense!
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I chose Riou because my favorite hero was a tiebetween Tir and Riou but where Tir's rune is more about death and corruption Riou's rune is for Life and Healing.
Seakida

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A little of the subject, but kind of not.
Diaz_Riou wrote:
I chose Riou because my favorite hero was a tiebetween Tir and Riou but where Tir's rune is more about death and corruption Riou's rune is for Life and Healing.

Well I don't see how Tir's rune is about coruption. My theory about the powers of runes is that all true runes have two great powers, the Blue Moon rune for example has two. They consist of the runes power and the power the bearer should gain to overcome the rune, Runes power=Crulty and the power to be gained=Compassion.
Now for Life and Death rune, Runes power=Death and the power to be gained=Life. He must overcome the power of Death which gives him the power Life.
Rune of Begining=War and Unity
So pretty much all runes will have equal power, and do not make a Hero who he is. That is the Hero's job.
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Exactly. Tir never wanted anyone to die. It just kind of happened.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seakida wrote:
Well I don't see how Tir's rune is about coruption.

Well actually in someways it has the power of corruption or to be more accurate to cause corruption; Windy turned the empire inside out just for the sake of this rune useing others so she can achieve it. That is why to me it is a symbol of corruption because of what it can do; Unimaginable power, no other rune in suikoden history has been hunted more than that of the souleater. The fact tir leaves and walks alone in the end must be why to me he does it.

Tir is my favourite suikoden hero and i have a good feeling that suikoden's IV coming hero will not overshadow him due to his background history, his situations and his image in that he is prepared to face his responcbilties. True you don't have a choice in the no part but you most certainely had a choice in some examples like killing kraze or not. dosen't do anything but it does show that tir's character dosen't extend to controversial shores.

Its also ironic that people like him because of his rune as well as a lot say it makes him look cool; its ironic since this is the rune that is to curse him yet he is blessed by being known as the greatest suikoden hero so far; afterall we all love tragic heros. (Or most of us do) as for thomas I don't have S3 (yet0 and i dislike riou; he may have the rune of his adopted father but he's a child, looks unconvincing as inspiring leader. What i like about tir is that he sems more than ready to inspire soliders into battle; without an inspiring leader you will fall and this is true as after luca died for example highland army was never the same again. (Ok luca's units were gone) but many highlanders (including a later revolt in future years0 showed they admire luca more than Jowy so in other words Tir is succseful to me because he is succseful in convincing others to be inspired. Somthing Riou lacked I feel.
Seakida

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well she wanted the rune for it's history. But what about the Blue Moon, it has corruption, Neclord stole it because it's power corrupted him before he even bore it. And then he went on a killing rampage. The Beast rune is very corrupting, It gives it wielder bloodthirst. And the rune of Begining causes war, that is very corrupting, the kids didn't even want to be apart of it, let alone lead it.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is it known what the Beast Rune does to a bearer?

And the Rune of Beginning doesn't cause war; it judges it. Did you mean to say that the Bright Shield and Black Sword conflict with each other?
Seakida

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lebenengel wrote:
Is it known what the Beast Rune does to a bearer?

And the Rune of Beginning doesn't cause war; it judges it. Did you mean to say that the Bright Shield and Black Sword conflict with each other?

Yep, man am I bad with words, but in any case the whole beast rune thing is my assumtion
(I shouldn't do that, it makes an ASS out of U and ME)
but the two aspects of the Rune of Begining does cause two best friends to fight, for no appearent reason I might add (because they could have ended their fight as soon as they had defeated Luca and stood face to face at Jowston Hill. My point is, is that all True Runes are just as corrupt as the others, and that you shouldn't judge a Hero by his rune, but by how he overcomes and uses it, not includeing Thomas (no rune, no corruption).
Kyun Mcdohl

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tir but Riou is not far behind......To me Tir is just so much more calm and collected than Riou but then again I feel hes gone through alot more than Riou has maybe thats why.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seakida wrote:
Well she wanted the rune for it's history. But what about the Blue Moon, it has corruption, Neclord stole it because it's power corrupted him before he even bore it. And then he went on a killing rampage. The Beast rune is very corrupting, It gives it wielder bloodthirst. And the rune of Begining causes war, that is very corrupting, the kids didn't even want to be apart of it, let alone lead it.

Well not really as it was Sierria who had the rune orignally and took time to master it *but we have no idea for how long* and when neclord took it he was already a vampire who just used his charm to gain it. But no extensive search was given compared to the souleater; as for the beast rune it dosen't have a bearer it went to highland and was sealed under its own freewill. And the rune of Begining had the power to judge/end war.
Rheo

Here and There

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"My father goes his way, I go mine"
heh one of my favorite quote.

I vote for Tir, strangely, despite him being a silent hero, I have actually created a personality for him as I was playing the game. and I like the story of Suikoden 1 a lot, more than Suikoden 2's (S2 feels kinda cliche...) All the things he went through, even when the people that he cares about dying, and he still fought to end the suffering of others.

I dont like Riou. I second the person who said he can never see Riou as more than a child. I think the problem is he got overshadowed way too badly, I mean big sister Nanami talked for and babied him, Shu sounded like he was ordering him around, and then there was Jowy... I just cant see Riou as a dependable leader.

I cant see Thomas as a leader either. But I like Thomas. The first Tenkai star without a True Rune, not to mention without real power. But watching him and the others trying their best to protect their home, it is funny and touching. He holds no gudge towards the Grasslanders who killed his mother; I dont see him as a leader, but he is definitely a nice boy

Hugo is a too naive to be a leader, Sgt Joe is who makes Hugo's chapter bearable for me. although I am getting brainwashed by the manga into liking him...

Chris is a less naive, but why do I always feel like Salome is actually the one who runs the Zexen Knights? I dont feel too much for her, so let me skip this one.

Geddoe is cool. He has the best dialoges out of the 3 Flame Champions. I cannot see him as a leader of a whole army though, he is more suit to be the leader of a small units. This is just how I feel...

Swordsmen of Morricone

2109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think I could decide on this one, as I think that the role of 'hero' was entirely different between the first two games, and the 3rd.

I loved all 3 suikodens thus far, but the feel of the first two heros was something unique. In some ways I like that 'unnamed hero' better, and in some ways not so much.
Both Tir and Riou had relatively changable personalities, depending on how you viewed them, and the choices you made in the game. I think that was a wonderful way to make a game hero. The player could make the hero into whatever they identify with or value. Between those two, I think Tir was probably better (though I loved them both to pieces!) because he had more a feeling of truly being thrown into things. His plight was greater. He lost so much, and had so much depending on him that you felt like you really had to fight when you played his character.
That said, I liked the characters around the hero better in gensui 2. Nanami and Jowy, Shu and so many others just made it more fun to play gensui 2 than 1... For me, anyway. I loved the cast of gensui2!

The heros of Gensui3 were different. They had very defined personalities. You get a feel for who they are, and not just how you play them. So you can actually decide who of them is the best 'hero' a little easier. I liked all of them, (Mybe I just like everyone in everything!) But I think Thomas was the best hero of them. The other 3 felt like important pieces of the story, but one of them just ended up being the hero in name. Thomas was the one who really gathered the stars and built the castle. He was the traditional Suikoden hero for the game. Even if he didn't have a dramatic true rune.

My favorite of all the hero characters was Chris. I really liked her. I clicked with her in a way, because she had so many traits I value, kept and upheld to a point where some of those traits were flaws as well. I had a sort of sympathy for her throughout the game, so I just saw things through her eyes most of the time. But I don't think she was the best hero of Suikoden. She wasn't the one who really gathered and built a community. She was a leader, but not necesarily THE leader. I don't really mind. I adored her character, and the way that character reacted to others. but I digress...

I guess my answer would have to be either Tir or Thomas. One answer for each style of hero. And I'll stop there, as that is as simple an answer as I can give. ^_^
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm..as a character, I`d probably say Hugo(yes, I know he`s not original, but I still like him), Chris or possibly Tir. As a leader, though, I agree about Chris. Hugo is too young and immature, Thomas is a little too timid, Geddoe is a loner, and Riou...well...was just sort of there. Tir was okay, but it`s a bit hard to judge since he`s silent. Chris, on the other hand, was already a leader before the game even began. She might be a little reluctant to do it, but she still seems like the best leader to me.

EDIT: Oh, and I agree about Riou...I can`t stand him. He just looks so silly and weak, and his weapon and Rune aren`t nearly as cool as Tir`s. And I`ve never been a big fan of silent protagonists.

Mongoose Monarchs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thomas and Chris showed the most personality and grew the most as characters throughout the stories. Geddoe was cool, but kinda flat, and Hugo was too angsty!
Riou and Tir come in third for me. ;3

One of my favorite scenes is the one between Hugo and Thomas, where Hugo asks him why he defends the Grasslanders. Hugo says he can't forgive the Zexens for killing Lulu, and Thomas tells Hugo that his mother was killed by Grassland bandits. Hugo is surprised that Thomas doesn't hold a grudge against them for taking away his only family (does his father really count, after considering Thomas' appointment as lord to "killing two birds with one stone"?). Thomas is a deeper character than most people seem to see. He's willing to look past differences in order to bring peace, even when he has to work for it. ;3 I do hope Thomas shows up in another game.

No Nash? I'm sad. ;___;
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: