Suikoden Unique and Irrational Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Has anyone finished Tactics/Rhapsodia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Has anyone finished Tactics/Rhapsodia? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If so, could you give me your impressions? SIV's story was a bit loose at points, and I'm hoping that this will help round it out.
Wicked_Rune_Bearer

Flaming Fury

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I finished it recently but i'm now on my 2nd turn through and the story was well told but I do think it lacked total game time. If they would have spent a little more time seperating the long conversations through charcters and spent a little more time creating more battles and places then I (my opion) think it would have been better. like I said the story was good I really didn't see any problems with it other then there was never a strategist and there was only like 60 chacters. I enjoyed the number of magicans and who they were. Since they couldn't have the combined 2 different runes into 1 powerful attack like they had through 1 through 4 they replaced it with coop-attacks of magic. I also thought that was well designed along with the other coop-attacks. I give it a 8.5 on the poll of suikoden. 8-)
tekknopirate

0 Potch
92 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The story is sort of weak. But don't get me wrong it is a good game. But I found it's best parts came from Suiko4 story fillings. After playing this game it made me like Suiko4 more and made me want to play that. The story of this game alone well is sorta silly. And the weaking of some of the ability runes was a let down. But this game will fill in all of Suiko4 mysteries for you and I recomended getting it for that. And the game overall is worth a look into.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't quite finished it, though from what I've heard, I'm very close..I'm at the Kooluk capital city. There only seem to be about 18 storyline battles, which is very disappointing, because you could probably breeze through the entire core storyline in about 10 hours of play if you really wanted to. There's a lot of side things that most people will want to do, of course, like recruiting characters so you can up your skills (since your skill tree is dependant on how many you have, and you seem to need just about all of them to raise to S).

You can also do a huge number of quests to try and artificially make the game longer...but since they have nothing to do with the storyline, I find the actual core story of Suikoden Tactics to be a bit weak when you get down to it. It's also just slightly silly, as tekknopirate said.

What was fun was to see so many Suikoden IV characters again. Also, they spend some time explaining some things about Suikoden IV, they talk a bit about Kooluk and Graham Cray, and why they did what they did. I didn't really get any more about Troy or Colton, which is a shame, because those guys were badly underdeveloped, too...but Cray at least, they talked some more about. It was nice to get a little sense of the Kooluk Empire, but it's a somewhat limited understanding, because of the way the game is set up. Since you never get to run around or explore towns, and since the conversations are so limited in scope, you really only do get a little bit about Kooluk.

Overall...I'd say the game is worth a buy, and worth a playthrough. There's nothing wrong with it, it's fun, and it fills in some important gaps in Suikoden IV. Thumbs up.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
EZ_Rabbit

The Blade Lackshmana

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really enjoyed the game, and it invites you to play through
atleast a second time with the new game plus.

I enjoyed the story, and felt that it works exceptionally well
as a companion piece to Suikoden 4.
Honestly I think it makes 4 a better game due to its additions.

The battle system is alot of fun, and the characters are great to collect.

Its not an exceptional game in and of itself,
but its rare that a company actually bothers to create a correction
for what many felt was a flawed game in Suikoden 4.

As a stand alone title, I think it deserves the 7 it typically gets.
However, my Suikoden fanboy tilt would put it at around an 8 atleast.
Jurhael

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't beaten yet, but I'm pretty close. I enjoyed the game immensely and the story to be very interesting and the sort where I want to see every aspect of it, including the convos in battle. To put it simply, the game is crack and I agree that it made Suikoden 4 a batter game and Suikoden Tactics made me want to play it again.

I do, however, agree that Troy and Colten should have gotten more attention. At least more than just a comment in the Graska gossip column. Troy was such a great character and I think he was underutilized in Suikoden 4 and then ST pretty much acted like he, Colton and Helmut never existed. I didn't care much for that.

I think that parts of the Tactics story could have been extended more and some more issues should have been addressed. I also wish that you could explore the towns rather than just get gossip. I think that would have added to Tactics' uniqueness and yes, we would learn much more about Kooluk.

Overall, I think the game is an excellent addition to Suikoden. As a stand alone, it does pretty well too, but I think that you would need to play Suikoden 4 as well. They work well together. On a scale of one to ten, I'd give it an eight. I just wish some characters/stories were expanded on a bit more.
Equus

Sindarin Speed Bumps of Rage

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm inclined to agree with everyone. I enjoyed the game quite a bit, and I think it becomes an even better game if you've played IV. It's not necessary, but each does complement the other in terms of storyline. So story-wise, I think it's OK, but not fantastic.

The gameplay I really liked, though. One indication is that I wanted to see for sure what things carried over into a new game+, so I played a little the day after I finished the game. I found myself playing for about two hours longer than I had initially planned on playing, mostly because I kept telling myself "one more battle!" I mean, the gameplay isn't perfect and it isn't exactly revolutionary, but you don't have to reinvent the wheel every time you design a new car, right? :mrgreen:

EDIT - Forgot to things I thought weren't as strong. Some storyline elements seem to periodically get lost (like a certain NPC whom I swear started travelling with the party, then I didn't see for like a half dozen story battles), and a slight feeling that the rationlizations for some of the recruiting was a little haphazard.
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's been pretty well summed up so far. I just beat the game today actually.

I felt the game was better than IV, for the mere fact the battle system was quite well done, I enjoyed it a lot. I feel that tactics and IV compliment one another though. Stand alone they could both be weak in points, but together they work better. While we can't fix the problems of the battle system in Iv, he characters are developed a bit more with tactics. That said however, they could have taken the concept a bit further. For a game mostly based in Kooluk, which I thought was a bright idea, I found that leaving out any information on Troy, Helmut and Colton was a let down. Since the three of them were actually from Kooluk, I would have expected to hear more about them. I felt the game was doing fine with timeline up until you got to the small border village and then into Graska. A lot happened at once, including former enemies now becoming allies. I wish they could have done more with what happened after that. I just felt a bit rushed with the end. It was quite strong for the most part other than that however.

There were more good points than bad for the whole though, that's how I feel about it. I don't regret buying it, and I'm glad I played it. I actually intend to start with new game + later tonight. Overall I'd give it an 8/10 :)

-My DeviantArt-
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: