Suikoden Ugly and Illusional Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Nintendo Revolution: What's up with that controller?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Nintendo Revolution: What's up with that controller? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From implicit popular demand... the Circle is Now Complete. All of the consoles will be represented.

Funny how it all works... the XBox 360, and the Nintendo Revolution. Someone said that Sony should have named their system the PS3.14159.

In any case, if you haven't heard about the Nintendo Revolution controller, you've probably been living under a rock for the past little while, so here's a nice article to get you up to speed.

Press conference:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6133335.html?q=revolution%20controller

And this one's a nice article that talks about the game demos Nintendo's come up with so far.

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-23521-2567-x-x-x

It should be emphasized that Nintendo is generating a lot of third-party interest based on this controller, and even Microsoft executives have complimented Nintendo on its innovation, mentioning that they would be quite interested in seeing what it can do.

And if you're a lucky member of Club Nintendo, you'll get an actual TV remote that's in the shape of the Revolution controller!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6139414.html?q=revolution%20controller

Nintendo's target price has not been announced, but it's been confirmed that the Nintendo Revolution will not come with HDTV support, and will use Compact Flash instead of a hard drive for its games. There are four Gamecube controller ports for backwards compatibility, so in theory, the console will be able to fall back on the "old style" of game play as well as using its new style. I'm not entirely sure about its online strategy (i.e. whether it is wireless or not) and what the interfacing with the Nintendo DS is going to be like, but I'm certain that there will be interaction. Oh, don't forget the downloadable content - apparently, the entire library of games will be available, from the NES right up to the Gamecube. No details yet, though.

Oh, by the way, the rumoured price point for this system is $200 USD, which means that it's significantly cheaper than the competitors. Nintendo has stated clearly that it will undercut the competition. You'll get what you pay for, in a way, since it won't be as powerful as the competitors, but if you're in the business of cheap, fun entertainment, Nintendo's console may be the way to go. I think Nintendo is banking on its hardcore fanbase (which have shown to be extremely dedicated), and on more traditional gamers who already own one of the PS3 or the XBox 360 who want the occasional diversion; with a $200 price point, I think they really want to be the "second system" in the house.

But the most interesting part, of course, is the controller, and this is where Nintendo's "Revolution" is supposed to be.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dunno about that Revolution controller <.< I'm always worrying about interference with things like that...
like my GCN wireless control I have a tendency to stay close to the GCN even though you can take it to the other side of the room (and to the second floor too xD *tried it once*) oh...and I'm psychotic about battery power too <.<

sure..that Revolution controller does open itself to a different way to play games...but I dunno... :\

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most of this is at Leb, continued from the Xbox topic:

Leb wrote:
You said Nintendo said the controller was innovative. When you say it like that, it usually means you don't personally believe it.

I said: Nintendo like to talk about how innovative they are but other than...

I was saying that no matter how much Nintendo says how innovative they are, only two things could be called innovative (recently).

Quoting Myself now:

Quote:
I can't see myself being more involved in the games I'd want to play from using a laser pointer rather than a control. Games that it would be useful in are mostly sports games (judging from the Demo Showcase) and I'd much rather play the actual sport with friends then go through the same amount of effort for a video game.

I would say that the remote not being all that useful for games I want to play is a pretty big problem wouldn't you?

If you read the second article Arcana posted it talks about different sport games (among others). I'd be interested to see how long the average gamer can play for considering all the wrist twisting and arm waving that goes on. I'm saying that if you're going to be limited in how long you can play for, I'd rather play the actual sport.

Quote:
Which is why there are games that utilize it in new ways. If you look a little more carefully (read: at all), you'd see games that don't even use the face buttons.

New does not equal Useful. Give me some names of games so I can at least check them out, don't assume that I don't want to see it used well.

And now for Arcana:

I thought about FPS games but the feeling I get is that the remote will end up being a hybrid of a standard control and a video game gun, but not as good as either. Since you have to move with one hand it means you can only use one hand to aim (compared to arcade guns where both hands are used soley for aiming) and aiming will not be as good if you're not level with the TV. This could very well work though so I guess I'll wait until I can try it out for myself.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really like the idea, don't dismiss it until you try it.
Alucard

Blood Crusaders

2016645 Potch
214 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I will end up buying it.... gaming on it for 1 hour.... putting it in the closet with my other consoles (got a small 20 I believe)

Playstation I remains king of consoles !!

That remote : IIIIIEEEEW !!
Controllers are to be 2 handed :evil:
Shame on you nintendo !

Regards
Alucard

Proud Blade of the Nameless Lands, Alucard, Blade of Shadows
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Was that sarcasm..?
Esra

Guardians of Ilam

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't have a problem with how the controller looks. Any consol you get, you'll have to get used to the controllers if you want to play them, regardless of how they look. It's just the way it goes.

The revolution's controller may go thru a few changes before it's realesed. I heard them discussing it exclusively on G4/TechTV.
Zero

Blood Knights

3523 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It'll either do great, or horrible. There's not going to be much of an inbetween. Oh well.

Julious Cezar
Dooz

Buttered-up Old Men

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can say with large amounts of confidence that I really don't like the idea of the controller. I don't think that controlling your characters with hand movements sounds the least bit entertaining.

I'm still gonna try the system out, but I really expect nothing from it. Just doesn't sound any fun.

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have faith in Shigeru Miyamoto and in the Revolution. Miyamoto (and Nintendo) has always lead the gaming industry since the days of the Famicom/NES (with the first D-pad controller). They were the first to use an analog stick in a controller (N64), and everyone scoffed at it (I know I did) until they played with it. Next thing you know, Sony adds two analog controllers to thier later Playstation controllers, and when the X Box came out, it had analog controllers as well.

Now, Nintendo is inventing a new way to play videogames, and everyone is scoffing at them again. I say that lightning will strike again for Nintendo. Miyamoto is a brilliant man, and he understands that in order to make it in a business, you have to take risks. You may fall on your face (Virtual Boy), but you dust yourself off and do it again. I leave you with one of my favorite quotes of Miyamoto.

Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:
In any business, the company that innovates the least, dies first.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Entex actually had the first D-Pad on their "Select A Game" and Atari had the first analog stick, but to my knowledge Sony was the first to have two anlog sticks, which is now a standard in controllers.
ard

Einherjar

804051 Potch
178 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Creativity is a good thing. I like the new controllers Nintendo made. It is not the standard controller.
Though it is not THE reason for getting a revolution. They need to come up with some more other things to convince me.
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hawkthanatos wrote:
Entex actually had the first D-Pad on their "Select A Game" and Atari had the first analog stick, but to my knowledge Sony was the first to have two anlog sticks, which is now a standard in controllers.

Alright, I'm probably wrong about the D-pad thing, and I forgot about Atari's 2nd controller (the one that operated like a radio knob), which technically, counts as analog.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I would say that the remote not being all that useful for games I want to play is a pretty big problem wouldn't you?

No, because the port on the bottom allows for different controller styles. A "clamshell" design would plug in the remote into a shell that is similar in shape to conventional controllers.

Quote:
If you read the second article Arcana posted it talks about different sport games (among others). I'd be interested to see how long the average gamer can play for considering all the wrist twisting and arm waving that goes on. I'm saying that if you're going to be limited in how long you can play for, I'd rather play the actual sport.

The controller does not require you to be a contortionist. It requires only the most subtle of movements, and would be no more tiring than playing with a real controller. If you choose to spasm wildly, however, you are given that option to.

Quote:
New does not equal Useful. Give me some names of games so I can at least check them out, don't assume that I don't want to see it used well.

New as in drastically new, as in innovative, which was your gripe. Kirby: Canvas Curse uses only the touch screen to play, Feel the Magic and Where do Babies Come From use the touch screen and microphone for the bulk of the gameplay, Shogun Empires has you chase down opposing warlords on horseback, firing arrows at them with the touch screen, and puzzlers are perfect with the sylus. Polarium and Meteos are examples that make games in the genre seem less like Tetris knockoffs.

You say you can't find any, but you are simply not looking.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Raze wrote:
hawkthanatos wrote:

Alright, I'm probably wrong about the D-pad thing, and I forgot about Atari's 2nd controller (the one that operated like a radio knob), which technically, counts as analog.

The paddle is not an analog stick. it's an analog input, but definitely not an analog stick.

The analog stick is similar to what you saw on old, old joysticks on PCs, but they were never as good as the gamepads on consoles.

I find it amusing how people think that the Rev controller is going to force you to leap around and do massive amounts of movement. As Leb said - it requires only small motions, although this may be game-dependent.

The controller would actually be pretty good for RPGs, if you think about it. All you need is an analog stick and the two buttons on the nunchuku anyway. The remote portion can be used to add interactivity; for example, instead of using the stick to select the enemy you want to fight, you point and click on the enemy you want to attack. If you're walking, point at the location on the map you want to walk toward and press A. Access to your menu, move the controller cursor to your menu option on the screen, press A. It would require less arm motion than a mouse.

I'm not all for buying any game console FIRST DAY. Software hasn't been announced officially for the Revolution yet, so it's going to take some time for the mainstream to get excited about this (I know that Ninty fanboys are raving) but to believe that the controller doesn't have some interesting gaming potential is naive.

There are potential problems with it, yes. Maybe some of the games that Nintendo makes, usually, do not appeal to you. Yes, there will probably be problems with third-parties porting games from the PS3 and XBox 360 to the Nintendo Revolution. But to say that this controler is simply a bad idea and has no potential whatsoever?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: