Suikoden United and Illusional Kriegspiel Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Psychology of Prescription Drugs.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pierrot Le Fou

Rain Dogs

37957 Potch
0 Soldiers
196054 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Psychology of Prescription Drugs. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

People are guinea pigs! Thats right the monolith corporations behind pharmaceuticals aren't trying as hard as they could to cure the ailments they so claim to be preventing.

I'm not sure how many of you are experienced with people who take psychiatric drugs but if you do, keep in mind that these people will never be taking only one type of pill. The reason is because one pill may numb a certain part of your brain to help with say, your depression.. but in turn the side effects will cause a whole world of new problems.

This is why people taking one drug will usually end up taking seven or eight medications just to counter side effects of medications that counter side effects (not a typo) just to cure the original problem. Now the question is, why isn't there one pill for a disease and everything short of that will never be an issue?

Because people are guinea pigs, the scientists behind Pharmaceutical companies dont know how to treat you in one area without causing problems in another. So what do they do, they give one generation of mentally ill people a certain pill for say...schizophrenia. Then eventually this group of buyers will develop social anxiety as a side effect, and well like I said, eight or nine types of pills.

After you find your self taking a sleu of chemical powders, you will no doubt develop other heath problems, whether it involve the kidneys, or heart, or even stomach. Your body cant process all that crap easily, but maybe, just maybe the scientists will figure out what they need to or people will evolve and be able to handle these chemicals without their system breaking down.

I thought this would be the best forum to put this.
Thanks for readin'!
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found it hilariously wrong that an asthma medication could cause upper respiratory infection and troubles breathing. But since medication is just a chemical in the end, and generally one that you would not normally ingest, it's bound to have side effects because it's not normal for you body to have it.

Do you have anything to back up these ideas? Perhaps there is some drug out there with a side effect as simple as "may cause drowsiness" which under most conditions isn't life threatening. How about lab testing? How "good" does the drug have to be before it gets out of the lab? I know many say "may cause heart attack, stroke, etc" but why in the world would cold medicine do that I wonder? :) I figure a simple google search could come up with answers, but I'm too lazy to do it.

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Er, I think you don't know much about brain chemistry. Yes, if you take a drug for something, you probably will have to take a drug for something else to correct a problem that the first drug causes. Because you're playing with your brain's chemicals.

Why is their not just 1 pill? Well...I suppose you're not a girl, but if you are, have you ever tried birth control? It's an insane process at times. You pretty much go on prescriptions and keep switching until you find one that works for you. Some don't. Well, they all *work*, but the side effects change - periods for the entire month, cramps from hell and beyond, weight gain that goes out of control, and such. It's basically finding one you can live with. Why? Because everyone is different, and the same drug doesn't work the same for everyone, and for some people, different side effects are preferable.

Plus take into the account that some people are allergic to certain medications (penicillin is a good example) and some people take medications that can't be combined, and you can see why it flourishes.

Besides, your entire argument is pretty much defeated by the fact that if we could create perfect pills for everything, the companies who made those pills would never go out of business. They'd do insane business, and since it would be perfect, there would never be a need for competition, really. I mean, does your product stand up to perfect?

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Pierrot Le Fou

Rain Dogs

37957 Potch
0 Soldiers
196054 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/side-effects.htm

Theres a link for ya, just scroll down to the section that says,
Anti-Depressants Scrutinized

and click on one of those, youll even see if you choose the first one called Buspirone, there will be a whole table of side effects that seem like they could be a whole lot worse than depression. Seizures and mania for example.

And Sophita, youre right I dont have that much knowledge at all of brain chemistry, but personal experience, with family members who are overmedicating, is reason enough for me to fear the worst.

And you know, if there were one failsafe pill, I sincerely think these companies would lose money producing it you know? Theres no money in the cure after all. They'd make way more money just selling you hundreds of different types all varying prices instead of one pill for one ailment.
But maybe I'm wrong about that, I HOPE I am.

One more thing, as far as birth control, I dont know it just doesn't seem worth it to take the pill, or the shot for women, for health reasons. I've always said I'd get a vasectomy before I'd put my lady at risk haha.

I'm sorry if none of that made sense, I'm really tired.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If it's incurable (or darn near impossible) like the common cold, then one pill that can eliminate the symptoms without side effects would be worth a lot of money. Also, a widespread disease and you're the only pharmaceutical with the cure will result in a lot of money as well since you can charge what you want essentially. They're all out for money since they are businesses, but marketing a dozen pills to take care of an illness and all its side effects sounds a bit far-fetched to me.

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Pills are overperscribed. A friend of mine who used to be on medication got really angry when he learned that going off of it doubled the chances of a patient wanting to commit suicide. That is a documented side-effect by the FDA. He also said that those drugs (Affexor, Prozac, etc.) also cause permanent brain damage, but I couldn't find any supporting documentation for that fact.

There is a lot of commentary about this, though. Many believe that the problems that the drugs solve can also be solved with cognitive behavioural therapy instead. However, it's become something of an insult now not to take your pills. You know, the "Man, you're acting so odd. Did you forget your medication?"

Many people are being diagnosed with bipolar disorder, depression, ADHD, OCD, etc., and are given drugs for them. It does help some people who simply can't get out of the grind (remember, it's a loop. To get out of depression, you have to convince yourself that you're into depressed, but your body is telling you that you're depressed, so what's the point?) but even young teenagers are taking these. I know plenty of 14-20 year olds on pills.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Pierrot_Le_Fou wrote:

One more thing, as far as birth control, I dont know it just doesn't seem worth it to take the pill, or the shot for women, for health reasons. I've always said I'd get a vasectomy before I'd put my lady at risk haha.

not all Birth Controll pills are for "omg i need to sleep with guys and I don't want a baby...eww babies", some people need them for other reasons with hormonal ballanceing or somthing, or they just bleed a lot or somthing. I forget...I had a teacher whos' daughter was on them "not because she had a boyfriend and needed some fun", was an acne and other thing. I forget really.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Maximillian

Dead Soggy Old Dudes

137813 Potch
13000 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I once had a girlfriend who used birth control pills to regulate her cycle. It weirded me out at first because she told me this real early when we started dating, but later on I understood how it helped because it seemed to help her ease the monthly pains.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: