Suikoden Ugly and Informational Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Nippon Ichi Software
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Nippon Ichi Software Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi everyone, this is a topic about NIS, and all of it's wonderful anime style, 2D Sprite, strategy RPG goodness!

First of all, does anyone here even know of these games/have them? The only one that saw the NA shores were

Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (it was the first of the Marl Kingdom series, but unfortunatly it bombed here, se we never saw Little Princess or Angel's Present (the two sequels)

La Pucelle: Tactics (A cool Spin-off of the MK Series)

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (This is the one that most people here have probably heard of, unless we have any NIS Fans here >_> (Like me)

And the new (just came out about a week ago)

Phantom Brave

So if there are any fans or what to know more about, This is the right thread!

Yay NIS!

Last edited by Keriaku on Wed May 04, 2005 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I live in the UK and I have only heard of two games on that list, La Pucelle and Disgaea. I only have the pleasure of owning Disgaea though, and I'm about half-way through it I think.
It is a fantastic game, but I think that it is the kind of game you play in bursts, first you play it for a long time all at once, then leave it for ages and ages, then play it loads again. At least that's how it is for me.
I love the humour in Disgaea, it is rare to find a game so hilarious, it cracks me up sometimes. I enjoy the story much more than the battles.
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've heard of La Pecelle and wanted to get it but haven't. :) At the moment I'm at Uni so I'm not going to start worrying about any games until I get out for Thanksgiving (for the 3 days I have off haha... ripoff!) or Winter break (Dec 21 - Jan 18).

But I'd like a brief info session on the games and which platforms they're for if you don't mind. Always nice to hear about games after all. :mrgreen:

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I live in the UK and I have only heard of two games on that list, La Pucelle and Disgaea. I only have the pleasure of owning Disgaea though, and I'm about half-way through it I think.

Well you probably didn't hear about Rhapsody, since it got almost no advetising, part of the reason it bombed (The other reason is because most people see it as really girly, and that the dubbed music sounds horrible, even though I disagree with that statement, that's what some people say) (It has a lot of vocal tracks, the reason it's called 'A Musical Adventure') and the reason you haven't heard of Phantom Brave, is because it JUST came out here, so it'll probably be a month or two till you see it there.

It is a fantastic game, but I think that it is the kind of game you play in bursts, first you play it for a long time all at once, then leave it for ages and ages, then play it loads again. At least that's how it is for me.

It's the same for me, except when I start to play it again, I make a new game, so I haven't even gotten past chapter 7 :(

But I'd like a brief info session on the games and which platforms they're for if you don't mind. Always nice to hear about games after all.

If you want to know, Nippon Ichi Software America's website is: http://www.nisamerica.com/ (Though it doesn't have a section for Rhapsody)

Okay, well here's a Synopsis (plus review, sorry if it's somewhat biased, it was the only one I could find, What? I'm lazy)

Oh, and you wanted to know, AngelicSin, Rhapsody is for Playstation (not PS2) And almost impossible to find, like on Ebay, I heard Rhapsody goes for really high prices)

Rhapsody Synopsis:

Synopsis: "Follow the adventures of Cornet as she makes her way through Marl's Kingdom in search of her one true love. With the help of her trusty magical horn she enlists the help of many magical creatures along the way to battle the evil Marjoly and her cohorts. Rhapsody is an epic RPG adventure that you'll never forget..." [Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure]

Just as stated, you follow young Cornet Espoire, an innocent girl born and raised in a small village in Marl's Kingdom. Despite her looks, Cornet is very talented and far from ordinary. Gifted with the strange and mysterious ability to speak to puppets, Cornet is known as a "puppeteer." During her long journey, she cheers and empowers her puppet companions by blowing tunes on her horn.

Cornet's closest friend is a fairy puppet named Kururu. Little Kururu, who has a sharp tongue and a curious personality, makes a hobby of mocking Cornet while secretly watching over her dearest friend. Kept in shadows, Kururu has an unrevealed identity and a dark past unknown even to Cornet.

Graphics:
I liked the graphics, none of that 3-d stuff. Simple but pleasant. Finely detailed buildings and lush forests, the sights were homely and gentle on the eyes. Stars: 5 out of 5.

Sound:
Even better than the graphics was the music. Yes, the characters sing quite a bit but the songs were generally meaningful and the melodies, both beautiful and peaceful. Stars: 5 out of 5.

Story:
Sweet story of a girl looking for her one true prince and a touching tale of love and loyalty that reaches beyond worlds. Stars: 5 out of 5.

Overall:
I loved this game for its peaceful nature and heartwarming storyline. Interestingly enough, it puts a real spin on the normal male and female roles. From battling evil to fighting in order to save her prince, Cornet takes on the role of a true heroine. The only thing I didn't like was the way destinations were placed right in front of my eyes. Not to say that I enjoy getting stuck in games but wandering around a bit while searching for the place you need to be isn't too bad. Everything was a bit too obvious. All in all, though, a very nice game. Stars: 5 out of 5

I'd recommend this to anyone although it does require a certain taste to actually enjoy it. The following is a melody from the soundtrack that actually came with the game. Enjoy!

(Synopsis from: http://www.anime-source.com/banzai/modules.php?name=Content&pa=show page&pid=550)

First of all, you need to know, if you're not going to hate this, you need to know exactly what you're playing. Rhapsody is just a cute little adventure, it's not an big RPG with a complex plot (like Suikdoen or Final Fantasy), It's not suppose to be hard (It's actually extremely easy, even on the 'hard' mode) So if you don't like things like this (very corny music, all about a love story etc.) Then this isn't the game for you, and you'll probably hate it (This is mostly the reason it bombed here, though the Marl Kingdom series is popular in Japan)

(Continued on next post, Synopsis etc. for La Puclle, Disgaea, and Phantom Brave (eventually)

Last edited by Keriaku on Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Basicaly La Pucelle: Tactics is about Prier, her brother, Culotte (who are orphans) and their tutor Alouette who just passed their exorcism exam and are now Demon Hunters. You go around fighting Demons (and other monsters/people) While Prier is undisciplend and has a loud mouth while her brother is often quiet.

Sorry, I'm not very good at summaries and stuff, you can see how much shorter this is compared to the one for Rhapsody

La Pucelle: Tactics is for PS2. If you look around the internet at different fourms, you might see alot of people say La Pucelle is bad. Well the reason they're saying that is because Disgaea: The Hour of darkness was released before this (in the NA) and was a sleeper hit, while really in Japan, Disgaea came after La Pucelle.

What happened was Atlus (The person who published Disgaea and Rhapsody) didn't think La Pucelle would do well, so they didn't bring it over, but went right to Disgaea, but Mastiff, and small company saw potential in La Pucelle and brought it over, so most people think La Pucelle was a sequal to Digaea or something, when really NIS had La Pucelle's Gameplay to work off of the make Disgaea, so it'll probably be more refined then La Pucelle (Though LP is still a very good game)

Sorry if that's confusing. :?

Here's La Pucelle: Tactics's Official Site: http://www.lapucelletactics.com/

(Continued in next post: Disgaea/Phantom Brave)

Last edited by Keriaku on Wed May 04, 2005 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's a synopsis for Disgaea (It's on PS2):

The Netherworld - a place darker than a pitch-black cave, located deeper than the depth of the seas. It is a cursed land where evil reigns and foul beings dwell. Nobody knows its whereabouts, but everybody fears its existence...

The story takes place two years after the death of King Krichevskoy, the ruler of the Netherworld. His son Laharl slept for two full years, unaware of his father's death, while demons fought for supremacy over the Netherworld. With the help of his subordinate Etna and her underlings, the egocentric, megalomaniac Prince Laharl fights his way to become the next king.

(Credit to: http://www.atlus.com/dis/story.html)

As you may not think from the little synopsis, but this is THE funniest game I have ever palyed (look RandomGuy's post for a small example) It's just has a hilarious moments almost every story scene, though hard to explain if you haven't played, it's hilarious (come on RandomGuy, back me up on this)

Here's the official site for Disgaea: Hour of Darkness. Oh, if you're trying to find this game, a few months ago it was almost imposibble (I was very lucky to find it) But I think about a month ago there was a rerelease of Disgaea (not as a Greatest Hits or anything, so I'm not sure if the price dropped)

Also, if you're unsure about playing any of these games, I'd atleast rent this game or something before just not trying, it is definatly one of my favourite games, though my opinion might be a bit biased, because I love al of NIS's games. :mrgreen:

(Continued: Phantom Brave
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Phantom Brave:

In the year of 921, in a world called Ivoire,
lives Marona, a 13 year old orphaned girl
with a special ability to communicate with phantoms.
Her ability brings resentment from others,
but cheerful and optimistic Marona is not bothered.
Marona believes in her parents' teachings that
people will one day come to like her
as long as she stays compassionate and kind.
Now Marona travels throughout Ivoire with her guardian,
Ash the Phantom,
to resolve disputes around the world.

(credit to: http://www.nisamerica.com/games/pb/story/index.html)

I've only gotten to chapter 7 on this game (then my data got erased and I had to start over) but so far this is very fun. Also, what the synopsis doesn't tell you is that Marona is a Chroma (basiclly a Mercenary, she get's paid to get rid of monsters that are invading someone's town or something) So she's doing this to help people and pay off the Island she's renting (That she lives on). This game really makes you feel for the characters. (

Phantom Brave is on PS2)

Out of La Pucelle, Digaea, and Phantom Brave, I think they all have a strong point (this is my own opinion)

La Pucelle most stands out for it's: Story
Disgaea most stands out for it's: Humor
Phantom Brave most stands out for it's: Characters

Anyways, I hope this was informative, and sorry if my posts are somewhat disorganised.

By the way, my avatar is from Rhapsody.
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Something else I have to add. The ending to Rhapsody, was the first video game that has ever actually made me shed a few tears, it was just a very big mixture of happy and sad. It's to bad so many people missed out on such a great game.

And yes, I am a guy!
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hehe I've shed tears before and I'm a tomboy! (Okay, so maybe that doesn't count and I actually do have girlish characteristics left in my body besides the body itself... blaah) ^^; But it sounds interesting.

Rhapsody wouldn't happen to have pancakes as an enemy would it? I think I might have played a demo if pancakes was a random encounter but I may just be wrong about that. ^^; I wouldn't mind playing something a little less serious and light-hearted every so often.

The only game that I've played that was an RPG that I haven't liked that much was Thousand Arms. :| Ever played that game? As a girl it just seemed kind of wrong controlling a character that goes out with girls and flirts all the time. :roll: That and the main character's father kind of scared me with his comments about the beautiful women, err, his subjects that is. :roll: The battle system was kinda weird too... and yeah, I stopped playing that one a little early so... whether or not it was ultimately a good/bad game I can't tell. I know my friend, who's also female and a tomboy!, loved the game to bits so maybe it was good.

Hmm the games you've just described sound as though they have potential. I'll have to look 'em up. La Pucelle I already wanted to get and what people say about it I don't really care. ^^; I have my own opinions and can for the majority of time be easily amused! So I could go for something light-hearted.

Good thing they're all on PS/PS2. =P I'll look them up sometime soon.

But eck!!! Rare RPGs are evil on eBay. Try getting Valkyrie Profile... I've tried and every time I bid on something it goes up past the $80 mark. x_X I just hope if I try getting the rarer game it won't happen again. So I'll look that up in a while and keep it in mind. ^^

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Watch the quintuple posts, Keriaku.

NIS has made some solid titles-- not great, but good. I've only ever felt compelled to own Disgaea, though.
Rheo

Here and There

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Disgaea - havent finished yet (chapter 4 or 5?)
La Pucelle - havent finished yet (also chapter 4 or 5 I think)
Phantom Brave - currently playing (chapter 3)

I have played and enjoyed FFT before, so I was really excited about the tactical genre becoming available in America. I was hell surprise about how well Disgaea sells though: When I was buying the game in my local store, 3 guys came in and asked for Disgaea while I was there waiting. (I got the first copy, haha, the copies just arrived and they hadnt even put it on the shelf yet at that time)

The down side is, its time consuming; each battle can take me half an hour to finish. Thats probably why I stopped playing La Pucelle and Disgaea (I have a short attention span -.-)

I wouldnt say they are the best tactical games ever, but I think they are great gateway "drugs" XD Even if you dont play for the system, the story itself is enough to hook you up.

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Watch the quintuple posts, Keriaku.

Sorry about that, I just thought that it would hav been alot more confusing if I tried to fit that into 1 post...

Rhapsody wouldn't happen to have pancakes as an enemy would it? I think I might have played a demo if pancakes was a random encounter but I may just be wrong about that. ^^; I wouldn't mind playing something a little less serious and light-hearted every so often.

Well, you never fight pancakes, but they are one of your 'special' attacks. :twisted:

The only game that I've played that was an RPG that I haven't liked that much was Thousand Arms. Ever played that game? As a girl it just seemed kind of wrong controlling a character that goes out with girls and flirts all the time. That and the main character's father kind of scared me with his comments about the beautiful women, err, his subjects that is. The battle system was kinda weird too... and yeah, I stopped playing that one a little early so... whether or not it was ultimately a good/bad game I can't tell. I know my friend, who's also female and a tomboy!, loved the game to bits so maybe it was good.

I actually have that game, and just like you, I didn't get very far (maybe the first dungeon. For me it was mostly because th graphics annoyed me a lot, I just couldn't play it....
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have Disgaea, but other games stopped me playing it for a while. It seems like a really massive and time-consuming game, so I plan on saving it for when I really have nothing to do. I liked the option of creating my teammates. :)

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I finished the other 2 games and i enjoyed it immensely. Thanks to Star Ocean, I haven't played Phantom Brave as much, but from the brief time I had with it, it's very fun. I like whacking people with the dead. heh.

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I loved Disgaea... it was fresh, something new and something different and it was just hilarious... It was so corny at times you just had to laugh, like a boss named 'mid-boss' (because he's a middle boss) or the power ranger spoof. It was also a power gamer's wet dream.... It just begged you to make your characters the most powerful you can.

I didn't enjoy LaPucelle, I found it inferior to Disgaea in every way, So I didn't finish it....

Phantom Brave is alright, it's losing out on my time to Star Ocean similar to Ced The Lad.... The one thing I did like about Phantom Brave was the whole 'confine' concept... it was very cool.

I've never played Rhapsody, but I don't think I'll be getting it.

Although I like these games, I still think Final Fantasy Tactics is the most enjoyable (the job system is just so well done).

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: