Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Ethical Question: Suikoden II & Emulation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dooz wrote:
Also, that whole 24 hour rule reguarding roms: It's bullcrap. That was just made up. Nintendo themselves have said that it's illegal to have a rom in your posession during any period of time.

Quite right.

Heh, looks like I'll just have to get the PSP one or borrow the game from someone (if I can ever find anyone willing). :roll:
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Raze wrote:
As far as the whole emulation thing, I'm not entirely certain, but I think that it's perfectly legal to own an emulated copy of a game for over 24 hours if you either own a physical copy of the game, or (I think) if the copyright of the game wears off. For example, you can legally emulate Pong and other games from the Atari and (i think) early NES era, because the 20(-ish) year limitation on those games are wearing off. Or, let's say that I have a copy of...Xenogears. This copy doesn't work anymore for any given reason, or I've lost my PSX memory card. I can legaly own an emulated copy of the game.

I would recommend that you brush up on your copyright law, because a number of these assertions are false...

Also, you cannot own an "emulated copy" of a video game... it's just a copy. An "emulated copy" of a game is basically exactly the same as you'd find on a cartridge or a CD.

While it's NEVER legal to copy copyrighted material without written consent, a lot of consumers make exceptions to these rules (most under certain conditions, like lack of availability). It's kind of like how it's illegal to speed and illegal to jaywalk, yet a lot of people do these things anyway.
Lady Chris

Zexen

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

im sad to say this: almost every game in my country is pirated. finding the original one is so hard and you can have ps2 game dvd for less than 1 bucks...

Mondrosen
Games Fanarts and Drawings of Suikoden, Final Fantasy, etc! visit please (^^)v
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got suiko 2 from EB, preowned for 64+ dollars, with a cracked jewel case and no booklet. Devloper get profit from pre owned sales in shops, but with a hard to get game, its hard to get (duh)

I still think a Playstation based re-release is a good idea, you know, data transfer and all.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:
I would recommend that you brush up on your copyright law, because a number of these assertions are false...

Also, you cannot own an "emulated copy" of a video game... it's just a copy. An "emulated copy" of a game is basically exactly the same as you'd find on a cartridge or a CD.

While it's NEVER legal to copy copyrighted material without written consent, a lot of consumers make exceptions to these rules (most under certain conditions, like lack of availability). It's kind of like how it's illegal to speed and illegal to jaywalk, yet a lot of people do these things anyway.

In my defense, I stated all of it as speculation. I had never tried bringing them up as fact, as I never bothered to look it up. What I heard was hearsay and rumor, and it's been revealed as false. That's what the purpose of the internet is: information exchange. I know more about this now than I did last night when I posted previously. Thanks for the corrections.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: