Suikoden Unique and Informational Karma Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden + Other Series comparisons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Suikoden + Other Series comparisons Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was drawing a crossover picture of a pair you might not expect, yet when it's explained makes some sense: McDohl and Sailor Saturn. Both of them are bearers of the power of Death, and some fanart I've seen of McDohl has him carrying a scythe instead of his bo stick to emulate the Soul Eater. Saturn has her Silence Glaive, of course. My friend even made another startling mention: while McDohl killed his father, Saturn/Mistress 9 came close to killing her father. Hotaru and McDohl are also pretty nice people, once you get past their powers over Death. Their powers are vastly different, with the Soul Eater devouring souls close to McDohl, while Saturn can destroy herself along with everything else, but hey: different people, different tastes.

So then I thought, "What other crossover comparisons could be made with Suikoden characters?" I know that in another thread, someone mentioned that Vincent from the Cowboy Bebop movie was similar to Luc in S3. Liete from Grandia is a bit like Leknaat in that during the majority of the game, Liete appears as a vision and speaks cryptically, much like how Leknaat does, although Liete joins your party as a strong sorceress.

You guys have any other Suikoden/Other Series comparisons to add that are very close to each other? And no, spare me the "X and Y r aliek cuz their kewl" reasons, please.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah there are plenty of Cliché's going around that would also connect to Suikoden. That's what happens when you have 108 characters in every game; you're bound to have some crossovers. About that comparison about Liete and Leknaat. The main difference is that Liete smiles and she doesn't really stand around and "let fate take its course". She's actually more unlike Leknaat in her habits because she's willing to help Justin, Feena, and Rapp change the world. She does have a monotone dialogue at times, though. They're both really mysterious.

Skirt-chasing Sheena is a lot like many characters from games, anime, manga etc. You know who they are. I cant really call upon anyone at the moment aside from Keitaro from Love Hina, but the real concept with these guys is that when their characters are developed, you find them to be really good people. He did take you to see President Lepant. (Even if it probably was an attempt to go home for free)

Then there's Mai Shiranui, Lulu, Tifa Lockheart, and Jeane. Err. "Eye Candy" moving on . . .

Nash's attitude reminds me of Edgar Roni Figaro from final Fantasy 6. He's got that chivalrous lover boy image. But make no mistake about it, Edgar and Nash can fight really well. For that matter, their brief "love interests" Chris and Terra act exactly like one another as well. They both remain closed to their surroundings and rather keep to themselves. Chris has said that to Yun saying she "distanced herself from the other knights" and Terra act like this until she became a mom to those Orphan children.

Basic Review of Terra/Chris and Nash/Edgar at the start of the respective games.

Edgar/Nash: "You're pretty"

Terra/Chris: ". . . Ok . . ."

(Repeat for about 2 chapters)

Sticking with the Final Fantasy 6 references, Clyde Arrowny (Relm Arrowny's father, aka Shadow) acts a lot like Watari. Both Shadow and Watari have pasts that they are escaping and as a result, they had to sacrifice the only family they had. (Relm/Strago and the Kage) But in the end, they decide to confront their past instead of running from it. Watari faces Ayame in an attempt to stop her from chasing him, and Shadow died (I think?) back in Kefka's tower telling his friend up in heaven that he plans "To start over" his life.

Suikoden doesn't have a cutesy mascot like a Moogle, but I suppose the Squirrels and dogs are the closest you can get.

Kefka, Tuta, (Suikoden 2), Bridgett (Guilty Gear) Rico, Kasios, Dead End (Tekkaman Blade 2) are all victims of the "Are you a boy or a girl?" syndrome.

I'm sure there are many others out there. I won't hog the topic to myself.

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, I thought of another one with Nanami and Akane from Ranma 1/2: they are BAD cooks. It's amazing that Riou's stomach can withstand Nanami's bad cooking while they were growing up, so I guess he's used to anything. Ranma, on the other hand... poor guy, being forced to eat Akane's cookies.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
butters

The Keeping It Real Krew

1000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Viktor and Sabin (FF6) Both very rash and while there fighting styles are very diffrent there both are very confident in there skills

Flik and Locke (FF6) Both mourn the deaths of there loved ones and blame themselves for there deaths

Sheena and Zelos (Tales of Symphonia) both have that laid back attitude and love the ladies ;)

Uhm..I'll try and think of some more

RIP Eddie 1967 - 2005
Icebergin

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Kefka, Tuta, (Suikoden 2), Bridgett (Guilty Gear) Rico, Kasios, Dead End (Tekkaman Blade 2) are all victims of the "Are you a boy or a girl?" syndrome.

Yeah, but you do need to remember, that Kuja chick (FF9) was hot!

....what? :? What are you looking at me like that.

(Random forum member PM's Icebergin.)

Wha... Kuja's a man!?!?!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

You know, I got halfway through the beginning of Suikoden II thinking Jowy was a girl (but he is an Estrogen factory or something.), and then through most of FF9 thinking Kuja was a girl as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zaj I mean Mike

I just sell weapons

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Pair Maximillan and Sancho with Don Quioxte and Sancho man did they rip him off :D

CLERKS
Lazlo

Knights of Gaien

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How about Suikoden Tactics and Final Fantasy Tactics? There's a comparison...
josiskrazy

500 Potch
114 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

one i like to mention is Leknaat and Nagi from Legend of Basara...who is like a male counterpart to Leknaat...

theier similar becuz they both guide the hero as the hero gathers people to help fight a war...both are prophets and very wise...

heres a picture of him...he's always shown with his eyes closed, but i dont think he's blind tho...
http://www.slumpy.net/basara/gallery/posters/nagi.jpg

everyone should try to watch the anime or read the manga of Basara...its kinda like Suikoden...

quick mention of Kika and Cha Cha (also from Basara)...thier both female pirate leaders who are very tough...

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikodens II and III, as well as LUNARs Silver Star Story and Eternal Blue, deal with misguided characters who, beacause of a lack of faith in humanity, decide that they will create a future utopia by eliminating much of current life. I feel that this is a very strong similarity between the two series.

Suikoden II has Jowy. Raised in a hostile environment, he grows up to believe that he must manipulate and kill people to create a peaceful world. He kills Annabelle, assassinates Agares, uses Riou, and masterminds the killing of Luca, all for the sake of future peace. When his ambitions fall (along with L'Renouille), he even attempts to orchestrate in own death, to unite the people in hatred of himself. Fortunately, Riou, Leknaat, and Shu showed him the error of his ways.

In SIII, we have Luc. Because he was created for the sole purpose of being a vessel for a Rune, he is naturally pessimistic and distrusting. His True Wind Rune shows him a vision of a future in which dharma has triumphed over chaos by ridding the world of life. To prevent this, he plans to sacrifice one million lives and destroy the True Rune, an instrument of dharma. Eventually, he is defeated by the Fire Bringer and finds peace in death.

WARNING!!! LUNAR SILVER STAR AND ETERNAL BLUE SPOILERS BELOW!!!!

In LUNAR: Silver Star, the backstory is this: the Divine Goddess Althena reincarnates herself as a human. Her follower, the mage Ghaleon is mortified; he believes that humans are unable to govern themselves without an all-powerful deity watching over them. Fifteen years later, he comes in contact with the girl, Luna, and kidnaps her, with the apparant intention of restoring her divinity to her. However, he eventually reveals his true motive; he seeks to steal her godly power and take her place. Alex, Luna's lover, defeats Ghaleon and returns Luna to the land of LUNAR.

In LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue, one thousand years after the events of LUNAR: Silver Star, Althena's servant, Lucia, is sent from the Blue Star to LUNAR, to stop Althena's nemesis, Zophar, from destroying it. Lucia meets a young adventurer named Hiro and demands to be taken to see Althena, who is nowadays supposedly living in the holy city of Pentagulia. During their travels, they learn that Zophar has resurrected Ghaleon, that the Althena in Pentagulia is a fake, and worst of all, that the goddess Althena died after living out a mortal life as Luna. Lucia then decides to suck Althena's magic out of the land to defeat Zophar, but killing all life in the process. Zophar kidnaps her before that happens, and then, Ghaleon, who has repented, but cannot act against Zophar's will, allows Hiro and co. to kill him, and then tells them where to go. Hiro gets Lucia to believe in the power of humanity, and they defeat Zophar, saving the world.

All four games feature characters who are skeptical in humanity's power to create peace (and who can blame them!). All four characters repent. Both seires contain strong messages about the inherent good of mankind -- a very strong comparison indeed.
Zeik Tuvai

Aura of the Wolf

12319 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know why... That trying to create a future utopia reminds me of the MegaMan X series, specifically MegaMan x4 (I think I can beat this game blindfolded now...). X and Zero fight the robots who've gone bag, ex. attack human cities, people, other robots, etc. Those "Mavericks" as they are called, tried to build themselves a oribiting satellite weapon to "create" their new world by destroying the old. 'Course, X and Zero saved the day...

Quote:
Suikoden doesn't have a cutesy mascot like a Moogle, but I suppose the Squirrels and dogs are the closest you can get.

And...

Quote:
Then there's Mai Shiranui, Lulu, Tifa Lockheart, and Jeane. Err. "Eye Candy" moving on . . .

Jeane and Viki are who'd I'd consider Suikoden's mascots. They're in every game, and have yet to not appear in one. They're everware! And I'd say they're plenty cutesy. :wink:
Cowardice cannot survive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: