Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Keystone Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

SARSadmin's Review of Suikoden 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The random encoounters inside towns don't take place everywhere. Only in certain places, such as the back streets of Razril, the beach of Na Nal (where there's a trader shop), the whole island of Mordo, and various in-between sections in Nay and Obel.

As for the "war-feel," it is a lit better than Suikoden 3. When Nico the watchman calls out, "Vessel approaching!" you sort of feel the tension build up. However, it is not up to the feeling you get in Suikoden 2.
cybril

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So far what I hear about the game is great! I am though disappointed about the skill system being gone. But the addition of voice is a really big improvement. I spend a lot of time learning about the Suikoden world because Suikoden is my favorite game series. Thankfully they will be explaining more about the world in 4, but the decreasement conversation is really bad. I loved playing Suikoden 1 and Suikoden 2 was just as good. In the beginning Suikoden was a little disappointing but I started to like it. Oh, and I was wondering because I haven't exactly heard an answer about it, but will you still be able to emble 3 runes onto each playable character. Because I really liked having my main character on Suikoden 2 having a Resurrection Rune equipped along with his Bright Shield Rune. It was awesome. If any of you all know anything about please tell me, I would truly be thankful.
Jhee Family Estate

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

... so, both the gameplay and storytelling are weaker than Suikoden II and III, in addition to the prevailing motif being eerily similar to Skies of Arcadia, FFXII, and Baten Kaitos?

*Sighs.*
Funeral

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

argh! i cant stand this waiting!!! its driving me INSANE!

so how long have you been playing this game? whats its time frame? 25-40 hours?

all the complaints i can live with. i think this game will rule all. even though i didnt like 3 as much as the other 2, i still thoroughly enjoyed the game. i cant wait for this game to come out!!
leena fighter

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i'm trying really hard not to read any spoilers, so I don't know anything about the game. But I wanted to know if it has the typical Suikoden-anime opening? Or more of a Suikoden 2 opening? Or any at all?

I have friends who have never played the games, but love them just because of the beginning of 3 & the Gaidens.

So... I want another good one X3
Percival

Go Go Power Rangers

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's sounding kind of bland to me...but I'm still going to buy it!

Nah, it's a 3D opening of (polished) scenes in the game. While some "sea" music plays XP
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

with No PI my first file will look like the one I had in S1. or worse!
who will tell me where people are? how sad.

is there anything special for getting all the folk you can? or no?

its ironic, the game is about forgivness and attonment, we all may need to forgive Konami if the manjority gives S4 the thumbs down for giving us utter garbage and ruining what we love.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wiseman

Army of the Six Wise Men

110280 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And then they must atone for there crimes by bringing back Murayama and restoring the Suikoden series to its former glory.

Guardian of the Great Forest

Battle wounds and scars is how I show my pain
My palms covered in the blood of those I've slain
Yet I still keep comin back all the same...
Funeral

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

have you guys even played the game yet? so... youre not giving S4 a chance because... there is no... PI...? no Murayama...? WOW! yeah i hate this game too, Duh,... because the DVD is too round, Duh.

i reserve my 2 cents for AFTER i have thoroughly played through the game. not before, because of lame things like, "Pesmerga isnt playable", or "the guy who played the violin is different"

FUNERAL, out~
Marshmallow

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You win
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just hope I can make it till January (even with Star Ocean coming...). I will find ways to keep myself busy...

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
NeonMouko

Fierce Tigers

116367 Potch
419 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't believe people are already saying the game sucks without even having played it yet. Just goes to show how quick to judge people are. If you go in expecting it to suck, it'll suck simply because you don't have your mind open enough to appreciate the goodness. :P

Anyway, the idea of there being random battles in town sounded odd at first... but if it's only in certain areas, it makes sense. I mean, backstreets of a city could be filled with muggers, so random battles there do make sense.

And for the record, I liked Suikoden 3. It had some problems, but every single game thusfar has had problems. So... yeah. Give it a chance, will you? Oyi vey... :roll:

I wonder... can you put a character through the confessional only once, different times, or what? Do they say the same thing over and over or do they confess of different "crimes"?
Wiseman

Army of the Six Wise Men

110280 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Funeral wrote:
have you guys even played the game yet? so... youre not giving S4 a chance because... there is no... PI...? no Murayama...? WOW! yeah i hate this game too, Duh,... because the DVD is too round, Duh.

i reserve my 2 cents for AFTER i have thoroughly played through the game. not before, because of lame things like, "Pesmerga isnt playable", or "the guy who played the violin is different"

FUNERAL, out~

I was actually joking in my post. I'm still going to buy S4 regardless of anyone elses opinion, although I have to say my expectations are not very high anymore. I was one of those people that when others complained about S4 being a prequel and 150 years in the past, defended it saying it could still be a great game and we could learn a lot about the Suikoden world and its history, but it seems as though the general concensus is that, while being a good game, it is somewhat lacking in the story department and doesn't reveal a whole lot of new info about the Suikoden world. Thats the main reason I have been a fan of Suikoden since it first came out, the story and how all the games were tied together. I will save my judgement for when I play the game though, and I can almost guarantee I'm going to like it, probably just not as much as some of the others.

Guardian of the Great Forest

Battle wounds and scars is how I show my pain
My palms covered in the blood of those I've slain
Yet I still keep comin back all the same...
Hrestelan

44244 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm 16 hours into the game as I write this. I had in mind all the complaints I did read about Suikoden 4 while playing, as well as my own checklist of little things. As a veteran Suikoden player, let me add my impressions to this post as well.

First off, here's my "good list".

- Character models and overall graphics and animation are heavily improved.

- It's fun to run around in first person mode, looking at everything (didn't see anyone mentioning this).

- Battles are FAST. While the loading time tends to slow it down, things like the spells taking less time do help (no flashy animations here).

- Music is somewhat regular on normal areas, but all the music during battles is incredible. The regular battle track is as good as it gets, but the boss music is just thrilling.

- Duels are the best of the series. They have all the coolest animations, as should be for one-time events. And the music, again, is absolute. On a sidenote, I had to judge what was the opponent going to do by his/her tone of voice, since I don't understand what the hell is saying.

- Naval battles require some real strategy, which is good. If you screw it chosing the elements of your rune cannons, you're done for. Boarding is an option, but it seems easier to shot down the enemy with the opposite elemental attacks. I was killed several times in one of these battles, but I blame just my not knowing the language (there's an option to give up and you lose the battle automatically! Gah!)

- Field speed is superb if you have R1 pressed. Not lightning speed like Suikoden 1 with Holy Rune, but similar.

- This is very personal, but the hero is just cool. He's even better than McDohl in my ranking.

Now I'm afraid I have to go into the bad things:

- There's going to be a lot of complaints about the encounter rate at sea, I tell you.

- Ship movement is very slow even with R1 pressed. Also, I think they wanted to recreate the feeling of navigating a ship, with lengthy maneuvers and such, but it may be considered bad controls for some people.

- No skills... It isn't necessarily bad, but they added some depth to a battle system that is several years old.

- Even though the fast animations of spells are for the sake of combat speed, they look ridiculously simple for a PS2 RPG.

- Now for the most serious issue that has everyone worried: the plot. I can see now what is the problem here, and it has to do with the screenplay as SARSadmin said. You see, the story is actually very good and Suikoden-like, I can say as much even though I don't understand japanese. But the way it is performed is just wrong.
There's a shortage of dialogue, scenes and event music. To get the picture of what's wrong, imagine this: 3 second scene with the hero doing something, then black screen and change to another scene where some other character says something, black screen again, another short scene, and that's all. Carry on with the game.
Things happen too fast, aren't thoroughly spoken and carried out by the characters, and are gone leaving you with the feeling that nothing has happened. There's also no music at all during most events, which kills the whole feeling. Think of it as the rushed events of chapters 4-5 of Suikoden 3. I'm sorry to say I experienced the same.

But hey... Don't get discouraged at all. Do not expect another Suikoden 2, but this game still got me hooked like a madman for many hours straight (too many I would say), even though I don't understand a bit of japanese. So Suikoden fans are sure to enjoy this a lot, just don't get your hopes too high or you'll be disappointed x3.
Well I typed too much so I have to get some rest ktnxbye.
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well... first of all thank you very much SARSadmin for your personal preview on Suikoden 4 (also thank you Hrestelan), I really liked what you pointed about the most important things of the game that we are really interested to know about, and it really gave us a clearer image on the game in general.

Secondly, I just want to ask about your personal opinion on some of my questions, and if you don't feel answering them, then don't since you aren't obliged to do so :) .

Ok... my first question is about the voices, are they good and do they make you feel the characters or not (I know that voices well probably change when the English version is released but I just want to know).

My second one is... about the items (healing items in general), is there any improvement in their effect or in the way of useing them (I hope it's not like Suikoden 3) , and is their anything different about how many items we can hold in the inventory, in the bag, or in the position of every character.

My third and last question is... about the runes in general, are the spells better in looking (visual) and power, and if they are better in sense of usage or not.

Ok that is all I can ask you about and everyone please do feel free to answer my questions because the more personal opinions the better (I would really like to hear SARSadmin's opinions too :) ).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: