Suikoden United and Irenic Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Zexen "Alphabet" (Suikoden 3 spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The alphabets for the languages all represent one of the 26 letters of the English alphabet. It's kind of like Al Bhed in FFX. In Suikoden, the extra languages all seem to go three ways:

1 - They mean something, and the letters all translate into japanese wirtten out in English letters. I believe this is called Romanji.

2 - They mean gibberish. Sometimes the language will be totally random letters, like the Sindarin letters found on the floor of the Ancient Highway and on Kahn Marley's magical seal.

3 - They are in alphabetical order. The Sindarin alphabet is found throughout the Ancient Highway, with all 26 letters repeating along the walls.

^Actual quote!
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I played the Lottery, I always played at Duck Village, not Vinay so I never got a good look at what is being spoken of here. I remember the title to Budehuc and figured it was in "their" language.

What I think people fail to think about many video games set in fantasy worlds is that perhaps they are speaking another language and not english, but to make the game playable its translated into english so that we can play it. A great example is Suikoden. In a world with so many different unique cultures I find it hard to believe that they all speak the same language. How is it that the tribes of the Grasslands speak the exact same language as those on Toran land or the Island Nations? I think its a nice idea that they do speak different languages and that for our sake they are all translated into english for us.

This has been my hypothesis about many video game worlds where theres an alphabet in which looks different to us but seems common to them. I came upon this theory when playing Final Fantasy Tactics. On thier world map they have the various regions written in a language unknown to us. So I came up with this in its defense on another forum site I frequent.

Can Zexenese fully be translated to english? Possibly. However if things don't come to make any sense then I can maybe throw the idea that its in engrish, the mutilation of english often done by the asians. Or even better its still in a japanese style phoenetics. it may have been translated into Zexenese buit it can only be re-translated into japanese. Who knows. Maybe when i go to play Suiko III next I'll pay closer attention to Zexenese and attempt to translate it for you all. But I'm probably not going to play Suiko III for a while.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I remember that the Zexen lettering on the lotto boards does translate into something. Not sure if it's English or Japanese though.

^Actual quote!
Kurt Angle

Lunar Dragon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I see it like this, there's small factions (or tribes) that still uses their native languages. Maybe Zexan was like this, they had their own language that was combined with the language from the travelers coming from Highland, Toran, Tinto, Jowstone, ect....

Maybe this language they've got now is a merging of the basic Toran/Jowstone/Highland/ect... language with is Grasslander Tribal language. Its a shot in the dark, but I just thought I would throw it out for an idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: