Suikoden United and Inspirational Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Hardest Game You've Ever Played
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Hardest Game You've Ever Played Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lately I've been playing Sonic Mega Collection Plus, and while I've been greatly refreshed on the earliest Sonics, I've noticed some games that are just too hard for their own good. Take Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine for example. I was stuck on the sixth level (of thirteen) for an entire day, and I managed to conquer him at 1 AM that night. How sad... even on the Easy mode, Robotnik himself is still too difficult. I mean, I don't mind a challenge here and there, but this was just ridiculous. I couldn't make the combos fast enough because the beans fall too fast for me to rotate them in time, even when I know what colors are coming next.

So then I wondered if there were any games around that are known for being near-impossible to beat. I heard that Phantasy Star II was like that, but I've never played it, so I'm not sure. I heard the same thing for Tower of Druaga. Are there such games in existence?

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yes there are,i find that neo contra is damn hard one hit and thats one live gone i find it really hard but i eventually conquered it.

ubertronmanguy

The Hundred Acre Wood Soldier Guys

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Any of the older games like Megaman, Sonic, Final Fantasy IV. You can just throw anygame in there from the time when games had to be really hard because they didnt have many features so they needed a reason for people to keep playing them.
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mr. Driller. Damn that game, it was too frickin' hard! Or I suck at it. >_>
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Any of the games that were created in the early 80's and 90's are difficult to say the least, because at that time, game developers hated gamers and would stop at nothing to create impossible levels to give gamers aneurisms and high blood-pressure.

However, a current game that is very difficult is Ikaruga, a 2D shooter for the Nintendo Gamecube. This game is very difficult, although the concept is simple: Enemies will shoot either blue or red bullets. If your ship's shield is blue, you absorb blue shots, but you will die from a red shot, but your blue shots work better against red ships and vice versa (You change the color of your shield and shots with the A button). The catch is, enemies will spam literally thousands of shots that mesh together in a horrible web of death. I've gotten up to the 3rd level and died every time, regardless of how long I play it. I reckon that it takes a person with exellent multi-tasking skills and good timing to beat this game; I am just a spaz.

There's more that are difficult, but as far as the hardest, this is probably it.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, that kind of reminds me of Dark Cloud 2's golfing minigame Spheda, where you had to shoot one colored golf ball into the opposite-colored portal. If the two are the same color, they repel each other, and the color of the ball changes each time it bounces off something. Needless to say, I never liked that stupid minigame. :evil:

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, although probably not as hard as your game, Raze, I'm having a really difficult time in the last two bosses in Xenosaga Episode one. Up until now it's one of the hardest RPG's I've played, that is not counting the first three Final Fantasies. Now those were the hardest games I've ever played, specially th first one.
Patton

generic nameless swordsmen

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Really? I thought Xenosaga was relatively easy.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really over-leveled a bit toward the end of Xenosaga I, so I thought they were rather easy.

Any game that takes coordination and/or reflexes gets my vote. I can't get past the first level of hard mode on Devil May Cry (I'm actually surprised I beat the normal mode). I haven't played a game where I got the feeling "OMG this is super hard" though.

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, maybe it's a bit hard for me because I never really took time from the story to kind of level up a little. Since they give the option of evading enemy encounters, I did just that and kept my fighting to a minimum. I guess I'm paying for my laziness in the fainal bosses.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's why I dislike games with no random encounters. It gets fun running away from creatures on screen and eventually you realize that maybe you shouldn't have done it when you're still level 20 at the end of the game. :?

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Streets of Rage 1, 2, 3, and 4 on "Very Hard" Difficulty. This was way back when games had like 6-8 million difficulty settings for sega games. This was supposedly the hardest for this game. They were not lying... I still to this day cannot beat it on very hard when I solo it. And I've only actually beaten all of them once on very hard, and it was when I was in two player mode and played with my friend Cass. So if anyone wants a good challange, deffiently go dust off the sega and try this.

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey and how about Final Fantasy 1. If anyone has played the original game(not the GBA version)they can tell you just how friggin' hard this game is. I mean you got no way to revive your party members using items, and the random battles, well, they make the encounters in Suikoden 4's seem like they barely happen at all. All in all this is definately one of the hardest games ever.

Also the Normal difficulty on the PS1 in Final Fantasy Origins seems to have the same difficulty as the original.
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not to mention the fact that in the Original, you had to plan out your attacks. If you had everyone attack the same munster, and he died after your fighter killed it in one hit cause he struck first, guess what; you just wasted 3 character's attacks.

Past the original, they fixed that by having characters automatically progress, and in the remakes, you could turn that option off to go back to the old way of doing things. Aye, FF1 was a difficult game at the time like, when I was 10. It was damn near impossible sometimes, and I had the official Nintendo Power stratedgy guide! But now, I can run up my NES and put in a copy of FF1 and beat the game in under 24 hours. I know that game inside and out, because that was really the only game I played (that and Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse) until the N64 came out. (My family skipped the Super Nintendo era, quite sad.)

The DMC games are quite difficult, as are the original Castlevania games (lots of pits, where the Belmonts think that it's standard operating procedure to leap backwards roughly 10 miles (and usually down the damn pits) whenever something bumps into them.

But another difficult game would have to be the Shin Megami Tensei games (known as the Shin MegaTen series). Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga part 1 and 2 (which is coming out on Tuesday) are the more recent games from the series to hit US shores, but the games have been going since the days of the Famicom. The key point where the difficulty comes from is in combat. During combat, each member of your party (4 in Nocturne and 3 in DDS) has a combat turn marker. They signify how many turns you have until the enemy's turn. You can attack, defend, use an item, or pass your turn. All of these options, with the exception of attack and pass, will use up one marker. Pass will take up 1/2 of a marker, and attack varies depending on what happens:

If your attack turns out to be a critical attack, it uses 1/2 a marker. (in addition to extra damage)
If your attack is more effective against the enemy (fire attack against a monster weak to fire), it uses 1/2 a marker. (in addition to extra damage)

If your attack is normal, it uses 1 marker.
If your attack is something the enemy is strong against (resisted damage), it uses only 1 marker.

If your attack is absorbed by the enemy (heals the enemy), 2 markers are taken.
If your attack misses the enemy, 2 markers are taken.

And if your attack is voided out by the enemy (a big VOID appears and no damage is taken), All of your markers are taken and the enemies' turn is up.

This is for attacking just one enemy. If you attack multiple enemies, chances are, you'll get mixed results. You basically add or subtract accordingly. Let's use 3 enemies as an example and you have an attack that hits all enemies.

The attack hits all for normal or resisted damage: nothing changes, 1 marker used.

The attack crits one (or attacks a weakness), and hits the rest for normal or resisted: 1/2 marker.

The attack crits (or hits a weak) all: 1/2 marker.

The attack crits one, hits one, and misses one or is absorbed: 1 marker used. (1 crit or weak negates a miss or absorb)

The attack crits two, one miss or absorb: (in theory) 1/2 marker used? (I don't know if this happens, as I've never had the luck to do this, but I think that's how it would work out.)

The attack crits one, misses or absorbed by two: 2 markers used.

The attack hits one, misses or absorbed by two: 3 markers used.

The attack crits two, but one VOIDs: All markers used.

So, with exploiting your enemies weaknesses, you can effectively double (8 and 6, respectively) your attacks, as well as deal extra damage to foes. But, the flip side to it is, that enemies follow the same rules, and they are very intelligent. During the begining of the games, the monster's attacks are mostly physical and do not strike against your character's weaknessess (every character has at least one weakness and one strength), to get someone new used to the way combat works. But after you clear the first boss, you're on your own. After that monsters will mercilessly attack your character's weaknessess if they have attacks that will exploit them, and if you don't have a weakness to it (or if you cast protective spells against the weakness, like casting void fire on a character weak to fire.) They will either attack randomly with the spell, or physically attack. Even later in the games, the AI becomes less and less forgiving as the enemies' skills and spells progress. This is a series that you cannot rush in blindly with auto attack. Not only are you throwing away turns, but you're leaving yourself open to counter attacks and exploitations as well.

These games are some of the hardest that I've played. If the somewhat controversial material doesn't sway you away from them, take a good look at these wonderful games from a difficult series.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I will just say the same......

Hoshigami - Ruining Blue Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: