Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Large Scale Battles Vs. Suikoden 4's Ship Battle
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, you're not getting it. He says he wants it not to be clear-cut. This site, he is saying, is clear-cut. Units with the advantage take no damage, and a unit that has 1 soldier could win against a unit with 10000000. He's saying he wants a system where a unit with the advantage would still take damage and possibly lose if it were too small in comparison to the other force.

Since it seems like I'm going to have to walk you through this in baby steps, let's take a look at the quote again:

Quote:
And, of course, make the rock-scissors-paper formula not so clear cut. i.e. similar to the original (or this site's) war system, where even the unit with advantage stilll suffer some loss from battle.

His example is showing what is clear cut-- this system. He's saying that they should "make the system not so similar to the original (or this site's) war system," but rather a system "where even the unit with the advantage still suffers loss from the battle". The only part that he may have gotten wrong is that the system in Suikoden I, in the case of charge versus archers, possibly causes some damage to the side with the advantage. I'm not sure, so I'll have to double-check.

It's grating when someone tries to correct you when in fact there's nothing wrong with the statement, so stick that up your pipe and smoke it the next time you feel like correcting someone.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not that you care but I read it as...

Thief wrote:
And, of course, make the rock-scissors-paper formula not so clear cut. i.e. similar to the original (or this site's) war system, where even the unit with advantage stilll suffer some loss from battle.

Where he's saying that the rock paper scissors system isn't so clear cut in Suikoden 1 and on this site as it is for the system in Suikoden 4 in respects to the runes cannons. You know complicated by dragon knight attacks and strategists influences I suppose, there's more variation in Suikoden 1s attacks than Suikoden 4s anyway which is my least favourite war system I should say.

At any rate was there really a need to talk down to someone over this Leb? It's a pretty insignificant issue and your last post was reasonably rude. I don't think there's anything here to really get upset about, you've just had a difference in interpretation, life goes on.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And Harukaze's last post was unreasonably rude. If someone looks at a sentence and takes too much out of it before a break, they will get the wrong idea. You people give Thief too little credit. When in doubt, don't post.

That's enough on this. I apologize to Thief for continuing this, but I think it fair of me to defend the comment. Thief can comment on this if he wants, but that's that.
Lecx

Adelphos

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For me the naval warfare was a bit too dull.. all you can see were rune cannons firing all over the place.. and when you board a ship i thought that all of the underlings with their leaders would fight on on deck... but nooo...
I Like the large scale battle of Suikoden2.... you really have to plan your moves and make your units strong.
apathy

14000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i prefer the battles from suikoden over all the other games. i didn't like the tactics style in 2 & 3. 4 was just way too easy. if you could counter the other ships rune cannon it was no contest. the one thing i did like about the suikoden 4 battle system was that i found it difficult to board a ship during batle and defeat the crew early in the game. that motivated me to level up more early in the game.

i am really hoping that they bring back the battle system from suikoden 1. it would be much more fun and it would look awesome with the improved graphics since 1 was released.

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

i am really hoping that they bring back the battle system from suikoden 1. it would be much more fun and it would look awesome with the improved graphics since 1 was released.

Well, 4 DID provide the mint vs mushroom war, which is very similar...( Ok, so it was a lame replica, so what, it did bring back good memories... Oh wait... I played 1 AFTER I played 4... hmm...)
Jhones

The Vermillion Legion

7066 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lecx wrote:
For me the naval warfare was a bit too dull.. all you can see were rune cannons firing all over the place.. and when you board a ship i thought that all of the underlings with their leaders would fight on on deck... but nooo...
I Like the large scale battle of Suikoden2.... you really have to plan your moves and make your units strong.

The underlying problem with Suikoden 2's war system was the battle was based too heavly in random outcomes. Like as said before how a 1/0 refugee unit could damage the 14/15 unit run by Luca Blight.

I liked this system that was used. It allowed total customizability of the units, something I really liked.

But, out of the four systems shown, I will look forward to the unique Massive battle system that'll be created for Suikoden V. Since the designers hold to the key of never making any two combat systems alike.

I'm going to get myself banned if I keep acting like a jerk...
Eternal Wind

Silver Wind

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Part of what makes the naval battles too easy is that all the enemy ships in the main game except Troy are set up with weak cannoneers, and only two elements that are adjacent on the cycle. The higher-level mock battles you can do with Elenor are nightmarishly hard at times. Three ship, each almost as strong as Troy's with 4 cannons each. That hurts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: