Suikoden United and Illegal Kriegspiel Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Fighting Game Cliches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Fighting Game Cliches Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You might think this is just a boring repeat of the RPG cliches thread where I present a URL with a giant list of fighting cliches. But this is different, because I haven't seen a Fighter Cliche list anywhere, nor do I hear that many jokes about fighters. So I want to try and make a list of my own thoughts and contributions from you guys. I might go to different boards for suggestions depending upon how good this list gets.

If it does get good, I may begin researching specific exceptions and blatant poster children of these cliches and unwritten laws. For now, it'll be a rough list.

Of the ones I have in mind, they are:

Law of Organizations
They're all evil. Not only are they evil, the head of this organization is the final boss, if not in one game, then definitely in a sequel.

After the smoke clears...
If someone, usually villains, are pronounced dead by any means (falling out of a building, exploding from the main hero's fiery attack, sword through their gut, etc.), they usually find a way to revive themselves in time for the sequel, or for big crossover games. The only time someone stays dead is if they died from old age.

Pretty Fighter Girls
Of any title around, there frequently exists a pretty girl in her teens who manages to gain instant popularity just because they're cute. Not only are they cute, they can kick ass while singing J-pop on the side. Some are weaker versions of males, while others have original skills. Some girls change their costumes either annually or once in a while, and others don't.

Don't Touch the Talent!
Along with the aforementioned pretty girl, there also exists a slightly older woman (twenties, perhaps) who is mostly memorable for her sex appeal. Her outfits are impractical and illogical, and her cleavage begs Isaac Newton to refine his law of gravity. Her weapons could be her fists, or they could belong in the dominatrix family of weapons.

Green Thumbs, Red Hands
Fighters who are on the side of nature tend to be calm and gentle (and female) while possessing some nasty skills that'll cut off a grown man's head. Imagine if WWF had environmental officers like that. O_o;;

War of Importance
There exist lots and lots of fighters, mostly males, that are easily forgettable for many reasons: annoying or lacking in personality, are old/obese/ugly/blatant rip-off of actual figures, is just another user of the same technique as everyone else, etc. Yet these characters exist in order to give the fighting cast some substance instead of just having the main characters and the girls to choose from.

When Wheaties aren't enough
Some titles have forbidden bloodlines and secret powers that the main character(s) and several villains have that make them stronger than before. The two most popular transformations are Satsui no Hadou (SnH) and Orochi Riots (I forget the name right now). These characters become more violent and unstable, forcing the surrounding cast to sedate them through desperado fights.

Sibling Rivalry
If you have two brothers who use the same technique(s), the older one will become evil while the younger one is the main character, and their fight is inevitable. The older brother is just waiting for the younger brother to train hard enough to be a challenge to him. If you have two sisters who use the same technique(s), rarely do they fight each other unless there are certain circumstances. A brother and a sister is rare, but it does happen on occassion, with various results. There are exceptions to this rule, of course.

Anime-to-game transitions
Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragon Ball are natural-born fighting titles that can survive the transition. Sailor Moon, the poster child of love and romance, does not constitute as the basis for a fighting game.

Capcom vs...
Crossovers, of any kind, only exist to have your favorite matches and pairings/groupings happen. If they have a story, it either sucks or doesn't exist. If they have a reason for the fighters of two totally different worlds to exist and band together, there isn't one explained. When you beat the final boss, don't expect them to say anything sequelriffic. While Capcom did a majority of these crossovers, there are other ones out there.

Hair Wars
Of your two main characters/rivals, one has brown hair, and the other one has blond. Exception: Kyo (brown) and Iori (red)

Law of the Night
Darkstalkers did it first, and did it right. To try and emulate a fighting game with creatures of the night would be a waste of your time and money. If you don't believe me, try Killing Zone. Exception: Slayer from Guilty Gear XX

The Five Elements
Of the five popular elements (fire, water, wind, earth, lightning), there exists an order of elemental popularity. Opinions may vary on this, but my interpretation is, from most used to least: fire, lightning, earth, wind, water.

Phew... that's all I can come up with right now. Any new additions, exceptions, opinions, etc., are welcome. Especially if I want to compile this list to be as accurate and funny as possible. 8-)

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.

Last edited by Benit149 on Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scotty Ramsoomair of VGCats fame had something to say about that a while ago.

Quote:
Law of the Night
Darkstalkers did it first, and did it right. To try and emulate a fighting game with creatures of the night would be a waste of your time and money. If you don't believe me, try Killing Zone.

What about the Guilty Gear series? They have Slayer...and Zappa's clearly possessed by demons and even I-no seems to be neither human nor gear, but that could be wrong. But all in all, a good analysis of the genre. I'll think of more to post on later.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Jhones

The Vermillion Legion

7066 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I-No has been confirmed to be a human. She's just unevenly powerful as the Final Boss, since she's EX with boss powers.

I'm going to get myself banned if I keep acting like a jerk...
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, there are exceptions to rules, of course. I'll put that in as an exception, but I find that creatures of the night are just not as good as Darkstalkers anymore.

The Great Wall
No matter how painful or death-defying hitting the wall, ground or ceiling is after taking an attack, the landing never hurts.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Jhones

The Vermillion Legion

7066 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know Kung Fu.
There's one character, there's always at lest one character, who is a master of one, or all styles of polular kunf Fu. (The animal styles, drunken boxing, Wing Chung, etc.) There's no middle ground.

Bond, James Bond.
There's a secrent, or double agent in the roster. There's always an agent, be it a cop or an actual spy or special services.

Welcome to the Matrix.
Appearing more recently in the newer games. Characters preforming Super/Desperation attacks, Overdrives, or whathave you, will all be exempted from space/time for a breif moment during the inital start up of the move.

Chicks Can't Fight.
If there is a woman on the roster, they will be among the weakest, but the fastest characters ingame. (Millia's Gold form is 9x average speed).

The power of Evil Compels you!
However, if any female is possesed by either a malicous spirit, or is just plain evil (like I-No), they'll be either a sub-boss or the final boss in the roster, and are hard to beat due to Bar regen, and obsenly cheap, yet easly dodged manovers.

More Chins then a phone book.
There's always a chinese character.

No relation
Popularized by World Heros, characters may be named after people, heroes or villians in history. But, that doesn't mean they're like those characters at all, physically or storyline. (Rasputin was a Hippy in WH. <_<)

I'll post more when I think them up...

I'm going to get myself banned if I keep acting like a jerk...
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

On clothing
No matter what you wear: heels, pumps, stilletos, straight jackets, eye patches, handcuffs, timberlands, roller blades- anything that would by all means render you useless in a fight- you will never actually have any obvious disadvantages compared to other fighters.

On clothing 2
There's going to be a topless male character. Deal with it.

Style points
Break dancing is an effective form of combat.

Deus Ex Machina
Even those fighter games with the most celebrated of plots are usually hackneyed excuses to have the characters brawl with eachother. Every character has a possible ending for "winning the contest" or whatever, but none of them make any sense. In part because of this, endless sequels can be pumped out with equally flimsy pretexts.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is God Speaking to Us?

-Sure there's an announcer just on the side near the camera just waiting for the match to end. Doesn't that get uncomforatable?

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Benit wrote:
Pretty Fighter Girls:

Of any title around, there frequently exists a pretty girl in her teens who manages to gain instant popularity just because they're cute. Not only are they cute, they can kick ass while singing J-pop on the side. Some are weaker versions of males, while others have original skills. Some girls change their costumes either annually or once in a while, and others don't.

Actually, lately the ladies are a lot better than most of the guys. They may also have their own original moves and their own story. In terms of usefulness at times, it's not even close. In some of their star games, they are horribly cheap. Isabella "Ivy" Valentine of Soul Calibur; Nina Williams of Tekken; I-No of Guilty Gear; #@$* Shiek from Smash Brothers (I hate her); and Storm from Marvel vs. Capcom are among the best characters in the highest tiers of their respective games. In fact, May is not as good as I-No, Faust, and the gang, but the tier listing in Guilty-Gear is as even as it gets.

As for their clothing, yeah, there's always that one skimpy lady that catches everyone's eye. And then there are other games that have tons of them.

The ladies kick some serious rear now. That's why I've made it a personal habit to always start off with one of the attractive ladies as soon as I bought the fighting game. "If they're cute they must be somewhat good!!!" is what all my fighting game pals are saying.

And no, I did not use Bridget from Guilty Gear following this logic. I read the manual :D

I like this topic, I'll be sure to come back when I can figure something out that's not been taken just yet.

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well Guilty Gear breaks a lot of these rules, so it may become a rule in itself, like this.

Sol's Law
There are always exceptions to the rule. Named from Sol Badguy, one of the main characters of Guilty Gear, a title which proves to break a lot of these rules.

I'm surprised I didn't get any resistance for the Element Law. Maybe I hit the nail on the head this time. :D

Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, Bridget is an...interesting character. Always good for psycholgical warfare against friends. While Shiek is top tier in SSBM, Zelda herself is not completely useless, as some claim her to be. She's a high-mid tier and can hold her own too, especially if you regard her (phenominal) air-game. And Peach's Down smash is just...way too cheap, it's not even funny. SSBM definately shows the love to the 'weaker' gender.

In regards to the Law of Elements, it's kind of hard to classify certain characters into an elemental category. characters like Sol, Ky, Ken Masters, and Kyosuke are quite easy to figure out, but how does one classify characters such as Rolento, Blackheart, Jam Kuradoberry, and Faust/Dr. Baldhead? Thier strengths and weaknesses? Let's take...Guy (from the Final Fight series. Made an appearance in SF Alpha 3, I think.) as an example. He's got no attacks that show a specific element. There are two categories that he could fall into: Wind and Water. Wind because of his speed, and water because he's got a lot of moves that can counter and his playstyle is very fluid in comparason to other fighters like Ryu.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's not what I meant in regards to the elements. I don't care how fluid a character's motions are, or how fiery his personality is: if his special skills revolve around ice, he is classified as a water element user. If someone throws fireballs around at a constant rate, they're a fire element user, and believe me, characters who use fire are the most common. Earth users tend to use the ground as a weapon, and so forth.

If a character has no specific element they use in attacks, they just don't get classified. Simple as that. It's just a gauge of elemental popularity in special attacks, with fire as the most popular, and wind and water as the least.

And a couple of more cliches I thought of...

United Popular Nations
In fighting games that have Earth as the setting, you'll find at least one character with these nationalities thrown into the cast: American, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, and possibly English. Other nationalities exist, but none as are prevalent as these five.

It's not the size of your Howitzer
There are characters who are shorter than an average fighter's knees, and few regular attacks work on them simply because their lack of height allows them to miss these, never mind ducking, dodging and blocking. You need to get down and perform low attacks in order to hit them, all the while trying to avoid their naturally low attacks that can trip you. On the plus side, their attack power is a joke (sometimes). Characters like these include Akamaru, Roll, Servbot/Kobun and Naru.

Relative Damage
A schoolgirl's hard punch delivers the same damage as a muscleman's hard punch. The only time damage changes is when you have a purposely huge or small character.

Outside the Ring
Some fighting titles have offshoot games that have nothing to do with fighting except carrying some or all the same characters over into a totally different game. These are usually puzzle games that never reach the West. Some that have reached here include Card Fighter's Clash, Dead or Alive Volleyball and Super Puzzle Fighter.

Ready. Set. GO!
The announcer usually has four common lines: Round #, Ready, Fight, and KO. Each game has variations and omissions, of course. Various titles introduce original announcements, such as the famous line for Mortal Kombat's Fatality kill: Finish Him!

Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Don't Touch the Talent!
Along with the aforementioned pretty girl, there also exists a slightly older woman (twenties, perhaps) who is mostly memorable for her sex appeal. Her outfits are impractical and illogical, and her cleavage begs Isaac Newton to refine his law of gravity. Her weapons could be her fists, or they could belong in the dominatrix family of weapons.

I can't imagine where you get that idea from. Most peple do not believe that sort of thing, it's rubish *Looks nervously to the left* hehehe.
Quote:

Sibling Rivalry
If you have two brothers who use the same technique(s), the older one will become evil while the younger one is the main character, and their fight is inevitable. The older brother is just waiting for the younger brother to train hard enough to be a challenge to him. If you have two sisters who use the same technique(s), rarely do they fight each other unless there are certain circumstances. A brother and a sister is rare, but it does happen on occassion, with various results. There are exceptions to this rule, of course.

This I know for a fact isn't always corret, Terry, and Andy Bogard (sp?) being the exception.

RULE OF NOISES
Simply put the more devesating the move, the weirder, and longer the sound bite is. Also known as the Dragon Ballz rule.

THE TOLERENCE RULE
Apparently no matter what is happening around the fighters it is okay to beat each other on the streets, and no one thinks to call the police. Heck they form an audience, and cheer on. A person caould be slaughtered, and people keep doing the same stupid cheers.

THE BEST BODY MONEY CAN BUY
It also seems fighters have to keep fighting to pay their plastic surgeons in Beverly Hills in the money. After being beaten beyond death, I can still get up looking erfect, and fight again.

BRING YOUR PET TO WORK DAY
Aka call the ASPCA on SNK, and aka The Nakoruru Rule. For some reason, some people feel the need to bring their pets to their fights, and put them in harms way. Don't worry boys and girls the pets don't really get hurt.
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I can't imagine where you get that idea from. Most peple do not believe that sort of thing, it's rubish *Looks nervously to the left* hehehe.

You know, I'm actually considering changing that law to 'Mai's Bra- erm, Law'. :lol:

Quote:
This I know for a fact isn't always corret, Terry, and Andy Bogard (sp?) being the exception.

Why do you think I wrote down, "There are exceptions to this rule, of course"? :?

Quote:
THE TOLERENCE RULE
Apparently no matter what is happening around the fighters it is okay to beat each other on the streets, and no one thinks to call the police. Heck they form an audience, and cheer on. A person caould be slaughtered, and people keep doing the same stupid cheers.

Well said. I always wonder how there's never any police around during brutal fights, and how people don't seem to mind two people beating the crap out of each other. Heck, Birdy's stage in Street Fighter Alpha 2 is his prison cell, while Ken's is a cruise. O_o;;

Last edited by Benit149 on Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

... unfortunately, if you take out some of these, the fighting game ends up totally not working. :)

I read the topic "Fighting game cliches" and thought this was going to be about how game designers should try to avoid commonly used themes in video games. :)
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nah, this' just a compilation of overused fighting elements for a potential parody writer's amusement. If Fritz Fraundorf could do a list for RPGs and make it funny and informative, I can compile this one for Beat'em Ups and do the same... with everyone's help, of course. :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: