Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Madden NFL '06

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Madden NFL '06 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just got it yesterday, and obviously the biggest addition so far is the QB Field Vision and Precision Passing. The QB now has a cone of vision to see the field or to track a WR. You have to hold R2 and press Square, Circle, Triangle, L1, or R1 in order to change targets, and personally I think it's a good feature. I think the Madden games have always been fun but haven't really been too challenging. It's not uncommon to see scores like 84-10 when it comes to playing the computer. This feature gives the game an added dimension, and it makes moving the ball more challenging.

They also have this other new feature called Superstar, where you basically create a player and control everything in his daily life as it relates to football, including interviews with the media, weight training, hiring and firing an agent, practices, advertising for products, starring in movies, etc. I've only just begun this aspect of '06. I have a TE, and he was drafted by the Houston Texans in Round 3. So, I'll see how it goes.

So, those are my thoughts. What are your impressions of '06 compared to the Maddens of yesteryear?

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5684336 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I bought Madden 06 the day it came out and i have been very pleased with it. I usually spend most of my time in the Franchise mode so that is by far my favorite part of madden. The ability to control every aspect of your team including hiring and firing coaches (Including Offensive and Defensive Coordinators and Special Teams coach) is a great feature that i am loving. Another cool feature that was put in is that after your high profile pro bowl players retire, they emerge a couple of years later as coaches. So basically your best players can stay with the organization their entire lives. I like the Quarterback vision control. It took a little getting used to, but if you use it to look off of receivers, then switch back to the one you want there can be big holes in the defense. I really don't have enough good things to say about this installment of madden since i am kind of addicted to it at the moment. I would have to say that i enjoy the "extras" more than the actual game play, but when i can find a person as good as me to challenge in person it is a lot of fun. My problem is that i spend so much time with the game, that i get too good for my friends and they don't want to play. That means that i spend less and less time just playing the actual football games and i focus more on the Franchise and Superstar mode. Speaking of the Superstar mode i have also been very happy with that addition. Like Nutflush said you can create your own character and basically control every activity that effects football. A nice new feature, but i still think that the Franchise mode is it's heart and soul. Well that is about all I have as far as rambling goes so i will leave you with that.

Oh and i would also like to say that the soundtrack is a lot better than NCAA 06 (of which i also own). It is a lot of unknown rap mixed in with some good rock which makes for a surprisingly good soundtrack to melt away the time i spend configuring my rosters.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
apathy

14000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i have a qb in superstar mode and i too was drafted in the third round by the houston texans. i find the qb vision a little difficult with xbox because of the button configuration. i think it is much easier with a ps2 controller.

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I heard that it's even harder on Gamecube because that system doesn't have as many buttons as the other systems. My friend said you have to do a lot of 2-button pushing in order to get some of the more complex features to appear. I can't imagine how frustrating that would be.

I forgot to mention that I would enjoy the QB Vision feature even more if my R2 button didn't stick all the time. I'll probably get a new control soon anyway since my analog sticks do funny stuff sometimes as well, then I'm sure I'll OWN anyone who dares to play against me! :P

B.R. wrote:
I usually spend most of my time in the Franchise mode so that is by far my favorite part of madden.

I whole-heartedly agree. I've loved Franchise Mode ever since Madden.... hmm, I think it was introduced in '97 or '98 on PS1. Whenever it was, it's been the most addictive and fun feature the game has to offer. And its complexity has grown every single year.

As a big Draft junkie, it should be no surprise that my favorite part of the off-season is scouting and selecting the players on Draft day. I hate it when the crowd boos or if a team takes the guy I'm eye-balling one spot ahead of me. I usually re-load the file at that point. (I'm very stubbord sometimes, hehe.)

B.R. wrote:
Speaking of the Superstar mode i have also been very happy with that addition. Like Nutflush said you can create your own character and basically control every activity that effects football. A nice new feature, but i still think that the Franchise mode is it's heart and soul.

Again, I agree. I liked the Superstar mode at first, but I've already become bored with all the game-planning and practices. I'm just waiting for some more off-field stuff to happen to make it interesting. (I already auditioned for a movie, but I missed one line so I didn't get it...)

Zero

Blood Knights

3523 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Franchise mode is the rox0rz, all the way, I agree with everyone there. I love the fantasy draft personally, because things are much more challenging when you can't just choose the best team in the leage. I always let the comp choose teams also, because that adds yet another tier of difficulty.

As for superstar mode, I find it real innovative that they added this. Being able to control a single character may be fusterating at times, however it is also an easy way to say, "Not my bad," and actually mean it. My character was drafted by the Vikings in round six as second string. After the pre-season he was on first string and since then he's become the best wide reciever in the leage having a whopping 67 receptions and 1323 yards. His average is something in the high fourties or low fifties. Superspeed biotches.

Julious Cezar
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't stand SS mode. Did anyone else get freaked out from Terrell Davis? I swear, he's stalking me.... I hope EA works on the mode, as it is now, I can't stand it. I do believe it has a lot of promise though.

They polished a lot of the game from the passing game, the running game and every aspect of the game. With linemen actually cutting off pursuit and creating creases for the runner, it feels much more like football. Instead of just having linemen run forward and the RB try to find a hole. Organized confusion I guess.

The best addition for me is that tall receivers actually mean something in this game now. I definitely notice the difference between a 6'4" receiver and a 5'10" receiver. Jump balls in the redzone can reliably be thrown now. Too bad I lost Plax this year, but at least I have a rookie Gibson at 6'4".

I find the passing cone a hassle, but when you string together a 10 play drive for 6, it feels damn good. THe problem is not that I can't read the defenses quick enough. I'm just not quick enough on the sticks. For the PS2, X hikes the ball. R2 + Recevier Button to look, Receiver Button to throw, Circle to take control of the receiver, Triangle to catch the ball and finally run with the ball after the catch. I guess R3 with someone like Peyton would be easy... but Big Ben's cone is small.

They fixed the drafts and now Madden Generated Drafts have players better rated. No more 99 SPD, 77 ACC/AGI. They also fixed progression, none of this 20+ 99OVR superstars after season 1.

All in all, I'm enjoying the game. It seems like a polished '05 with my only real complaint being punt returns, or the lack of them.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Zero

Blood Knights

3523 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Honestly, the Madden Franchise is one of the few gaming franchises that actually keeps getting better without loosing it's luster. Part of this is going to be because, of course, football games are football games. If you love football, or just plain out watching a guy get smeared into the turf, you'll probably appriciate it.

I just hope I don't see the day when they let us down and create an abomination not worthy of the title. That, and it will be a cold and miserable day when John Madden dies and can no longer do that lame commentairy that makes me laugh so much.

"He drops back in the pocket, and finds the open man. BOOM!" -Yellow squiggly circle-

When in actuality you threw a pass to the most well covered guy on the field simply because you couldn't see anyone else and didn't have time to worry about who was really open.

Julious Cezar
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I gave up on my lame Tight End in Superstar Mode. He was 3rd string on a team that had 4 TEs before they Drafted him. :roll:

So I started a QB, which, let me tell you, makes it a lot easier to get attention. Not only did I audition for and get accepted for the role in some lame movie, but he was drafted by the Raiders in Round 3. His rating is 80 (I did awesome on that IQ test, so his awareness is close to 90). So, he's one of those players who is actually able to throw as a rookie.

That comes in really handy because Kerry Collins was injured in the second week of the season, and he was knocked out for the year! So my QB is going to tear it up, now! Woot! :mrgreen:

So, I'll give Superstar Mode a chance through a whole season and off-season before ignoring it. I'll just remember to take a play-maker from now on.

Blasphemy000 wrote:
I can't stand SS mode. Did anyone else get freaked out from Terrell Davis? I swear, he's stalking me.... I hope EA works on the mode, as it is now, I can't stand it. I do believe it has a lot of promise though.

I agree. It doesn't even sound like him. I wish he'd stop leaving those messages on my cell phone where his voice makes it sound like he's coming on to me... *shudders*

I want my mentor to be Lawrence Phillips. :D

Blasphemy000 wrote:
The best addition for me is that tall receivers actually mean something in this game now. I definitely notice the difference between a 6'4" receiver and a 5'10" receiver. Jump balls in the redzone can reliably be thrown now. Too bad I lost Plax this year, but at least I have a rookie Gibson at 6'4".

Yeah, I noticed that with the Raiders. Moss out-jumps everybody, so I just keep airing it out to his side. I'm trying not to take advantage of it too much though. I still prefer burners to tall WRs.

Blasphemy000 wrote:
They fixed the drafts and now Madden Generated Drafts have players better rated. No more 99 SPD, 77 ACC/AGI. They also fixed progression, none of this 20+ 99OVR superstars after season 1.

I don't know if they FIXED it, because some players seem to be TOO fast now. I Drafted a LB and he ended up having 85+ for SPD, AGL, and ACC. Not to mention a 80 tackle stat. I tend to Draft those fast OLBs and move them to DE as pass-rushers. Easier than finding a DE in the Draft who has the speed I like.

I noticed that certain positions don't get sucked up so fast anymore in the 1st round of the Draft either. In '05, there were at least 5 WRs taken in the 1st round no matter what their rating was. It definitely seems more realistic now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: