Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Knowledge Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Shin Megami Tensei
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know I already replied above, but after looking a lot more into the MegaTen series, I feel the need to replie again. Right now I own:

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga

and I have roms (Yes, I know it's bad, but it's the only way for us english speakers to play 'em) of:

Shin Megami Tensei 1
Shin Megami Tensei 2
Another Bible

I also plan to beat DDS before it's sequel comes out, and plan to start Nocturne soon after (After I beat Atelier Iris and Makai Kingdom). I also want to start playing SMT 1 and 2 soon. I also plan to pick up Persona 1 and Persona 2: EP off of EBay. This'll be a MegaTen filled summer for me. :mrgreen:

Also, I found an article that basicaly reviews and gives info (plot etc.) on just about every MegaTen and MegaTen spin-off game there is. I found it to be a very interesting read. Found, here: http://www.classicgaming.com/reviews/megaten/megaten.htm

I also saw the short 45 minutes OVA based on Megami Tensei. (It's old, like made in the 1980s!) Though it wasn't very good as an anime, it was pretty interesting to since it was connected to the very first Megami Tensei game in existence.

OptimisticPessimist

Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

84561 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jhones wrote:
AND, on a second play through the Ultimate superboss is also unlocked. THE HITOSURA. Aka, the protagnist from SNT:N

:( Tell me about it. I tried him twice and have been squashed both times... ... I must be a bad gamer or something... :cry:
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

not exactly, I've heard from a friend who played it that his tactics totally change depending on the skills that you bring. If you bring any of the skills from the high-top tier (i.e: last/end game skills), he will consistantly perform that move that completely devastates your entire team and heals him and his minions. If you're incountering that, take lower level skills into battle against him. He'll still do it when you kill off both his minions, mind you, so you need to kill off one of his minions, and then ignore the second one. (so I'm told)

but yeah, he's hands down the toughest extra boss battle of nearly any game.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Jhones

The Vermillion Legion

7066 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's not true.

It's if you have any skill that nulls an element or status that he goes into Overdrive and spams Gaia's Rage. Which depending on your character's stats, deals between eight thousand and seventeen thousand per character.

He also has a set summoning path, when ever a Pixie or a Parvati are summoned they'll preform Dorima, and he'll follow that, weather you're sleep or not with Gaia's Rage.

His minions have Dairahan which is used when he drops to half HP (out of 18,000 three times the end bosses HP) They also all have Recarm Dora which is used after 29 pressturns are used up.

The entire stragity in the fight is to try and kill him as FAST as physically possible.

I'm going to get myself banned if I keep acting like a jerk...
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Null Sleep and Cielo are your friends.

Null Sleep will let you avoid Gaia's Rage (Providing, of course, you're still asleep when he casts it), and Cielo's weakness to ailments makes it much more likely for at least one of your characters to survive.

Dekaja/Dekunda stones are also good, as that'll free up a couple spaces on your skill list.

Null Critical is hella useful, since it'll greatly reduce his chances of dealing critical hits. Less Press Turns for Hitoshura = VERY GOOD THING.

Teradyne and Ragnarok are your best bets in terms of damage.

Mediarahan, of course.

Your best bet for a team is Serph, Argilla, and Cielo. Preferably with 99 in everything except Luck, which should only be in the 30s or 40s at most (The reason being you want to get hit with sleep, which requires a lower luck stat, but you don't want to be asleep too long, so you need the higher luck to wake up).

Even with all the preparation, it is a largly luck based battle. No matter how well you're prepared, he can still take you out with one Gaia's Rage.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm kind of new here, I bought that digital devil saga game for the ps2 today, and I um..got that snes "Shin Megami Tense" game, which is frustrating and very painfull to play and talk demons into being my minions. anway, so I google in the images for images and I find theres so many games in this series, not just in numbers, but on many systems and under differnt names. How many in total? and, would the sega saturan ones ever be re-done or put on a new system? Or is it not as popular of a game series to do such with.

The game I just got is kind of annoying me early, I'm somtimes iffy about playing games with voice acting, I'm embarassed a bit, anway I spent a lot of time looking for some door, This is a good topic and I think we shold keep it around.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jinners

Kuzunoha

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Last month i bought DDS1+2 and SMT:N although DDS2 was pretty short (5-7 days). i only have a few mantra to learn and one dungeon to go until im done the game. i watched the cutscene but i missed a few items in the airport so i went back and have been leveling up since (Lv 81).

I must say. best voice acting, characters, and such an incredible story that just took my breath away. Best Rpg i've played in years. so much i'd replay it 2 or 3 times which i very rarely do. Its also one of the few games that i wish had more cutscenes---since it had such a nice balancer although the dungeons were pretty dang bland.

I look forward to DDS1 *so* much.

SMT: N however. im a bit iffy---it was an accidential buy but i must say it was better then what some people told me. i thought it didnt have much of a plot but it does. And while theres no voice acting (its alot better sometimes to not have it) it is *very* enjoyable. And i chose Hard mode since i wanted a challenge. And my main character is lv 22 in the Amala Network with lv 15, 13 and 10 demons. The only thing im confused about sometimes is...is it usually better to let the demons change their skills? Or is it reccomended not to?

And above all DDS2 is my favorite game on the ps2 so far. Great music, great battle system, great characters and actual *emotion*. SMT:N is just...not quite up to par. I don't feel anything for the main character except interest :/ Although to me DDS2 seemed more of a dunegon crawler then Nocturne. Maybe it's to early to say that though....

Sorry, just had to get that rant of SMT game greatness out of me.
Just out fo curiousity i was gazing at the little SMT:N manual and it said the strategy guide was 400 pages. is that *really* true?
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know, Digital Devil Saga was on sale at my local E.B., so I picked it up on a whim because it reminded me of Persona, a game I LOVED, rented, and could never find to purchase. :( I didn't know they were part of the same series! That makes me so very happy. My expectations for this game have skyrocketed...

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Glad you like DDS.
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jinners wrote:
The only thing im confused about sometimes is...is it usually better to let the demons change their skills? Or is it reccomended not to?

Just out of curiousity i was gazing at the little SMT:N manual and it said the strategy guide was 400 pages. is that *really* true?

Well, the whole thing is that usually, yes, you'll want to have them change skills. the later skills are more often than not, upgrades of earlier skills. However, if you find a monster that has a particular skill that you personally like, or most of your battle stratedgy rides on (buffs/debuffs, a certain attack skill, ect.) then you may not want them to, as they could overwrite that skill. It could be for the better, or it could screw you up bigtime. In Nocturne, you need to carefully plan out every party member's skills carefully and not just do things haphazardly, but I'm sure you already know this. :3

And yep, Double Jump books made a 400-something page guide for Nocturne. That may sound like a lot of information, but it's slightly larger than your average paperback book, instead of something the size of a magazine.

Oh yeah, I'm squaring off against the Hitoshura now (His crit rate is sheer madness!). Serph is maxed everything, with a 7 in luck. I'm actually going with Gale over Argilla because he's got way less luck than Argilla (36, while she's got 67! Ciello is at 72. :/) I'm actually going to do the "Red Star" stratedgy. Basically, you only have to endure one Gaia's Rage and drain Pixie's mp so she won't cast Diaharan when Hito's half dead. :3 Therefore, long sleep times are good, because Pixie likes casting Megidoloan a lot (which drains mp like crazy), and dodging is always great. Also, I find that Last Word is much better than Terradyne, as it does more damage, and the key to the Hito fight is to kill him as quickly as possible. The Red Star strategy gets the fight done in roughly 36 press turns. Here's to hoping.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jinners wrote:

SMT: N however. im a bit iffy---it was an accidential buy but i must say it was better then what some people told me. i thought it didnt have much of a plot but it does. And while theres no voice acting (its alot better sometimes to not have it) it is *very* enjoyable. And i chose Hard mode since i wanted a challenge.

NO NO NO! Do not choose hard mode for SMT:N. Do not. The normal game is hard enough. My friend who is very very good at rpgs, one of the best, has been playing SMT:N for the past year on hard, and he still has not beaten it. It's just too hard for me. It's suggested to start on normal and then hard. Seriously.
Jinners

Kuzunoha

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bit too late on that, i'm already at the warehouse. It's not that hard, just time consuming. The only thing that kils me is the expel hama (Hamaon?) attacks. And if it gets too hard i can just restart. So far it hasn't been that hard. The bosses have been easy to beat, the first two anyway. Out of curiousity how hard are the next few bosses coming up?
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just wait till you get to Metador. He was hard enough on normal, I can't imagine him on hard. He'd the next boss after you get past that Ginza Underpass.

For those of you interested in the history of Megaten, check out this page:

http://www.classicgaming.com/reviews/megaten/megaten.htm
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
You know, Digital Devil Saga was on sale at my local E.B., so I picked it up on a whim because it reminded me of Persona, a game I LOVED, rented, and could never find to purchase. :( I didn't know they were part of the same series! That makes me so very happy. My expectations for this game have skyrocketed...

That excat thing happened to me, Sophita! I rented Persona 2 when I was little, didn't get it (Didn't get talking to monsters and I couldn't bea tthe first boss) now years later I really wish I had bought it >.< Now I love the MegaTen series!
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yikes, those are a lot of games, and a lot of remakes. why have so many of them kept the first person view? I'm slamming my hero (uellt) into walls quite often.

anay its good to know the exact history, so one can truly say what game they are playing. I don't know if I see the words "avatar tuner" on my ps2 game...is it there? anway, nice they remade the other games, not nice to keep the format. its cheaper and easier, but I'm never a fan of those views. I'm enjoying my Avatar Tuner game, save for running in giant circules and not rerembering "hey you walked down that path before". Its furstrating, but not as much so as that snes one I'm playing (my dog ran away) How many more do you think will come from this series? anothr tactics game?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: