Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What you learned from playing RPG
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peeps

Zangetsu

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: What you learned from playing RPG Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

- No matter what game it is, you're always trying to save a world or village, even if it doesn't interest the character in the beginning.
- There's always at least one plot twist.
- You always start with crappy stuff.
- There's always a female character that supports the main character.
- Enemy bases have mazes, puzzles, traps, etc., although the owners of the base never had trouble with it.
- It seems that the hero never lives near the villain's area.
- While it is a fact that rivals and villains are different, some RPG's tend to make them the same.
- In a party, you, at least, always have the agile type, the magician type, the balanced type (hero) and the physical fighter type.
- Only your party is the only active group stopping impending doom. NPC's tend to do nothing, and even if they did, they either die, join the party, become enemies, or become useless in the plot throughout the game.
- No matter how "the end of the world" is coming, merchants still care for money and inns are never free, unless they are part of the plot.
- Never expect the ending to be something you perceived.
- Be aware that when you hear a trembling music, complete with other "stuff" (e.g. choral group, organs), prepare for a tremendous boss battle.
- Plot Bosses are weaker than Optional Bosses in most cases.
- Wolves are either party members, important NPC's, or common enemies.
- In recent times, especially in Japanese RPG's, a theme song is there to play, usually in the credits or in those dramatic moments.
- In addition, there's an instrumental version of the said song which is played in some scenes.
- There's always a "Big Money" trick.
- In a "series" RPG, look out for cameos and references.
- Expect the unexpected

Okay, what do you think so far? You may add more!
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think you over-generalise peeps... A lot of the things you mentioned were more specific to Suikoden than anything...

But still:

- Always expect a traitor among your own people
- Mages are useless physical attackers
- Fighters are useless against magic (Ok, so I am overly critical...)
- There is at least one error in every game :wink:
- You always have to get the ultimate weapon to deal the most damage (Duh...)
- There is always an oddball that is more powerful than other characters
- Hunks and babes are common place
- There is at least one sword user
- Heroes still have time for minigames even if doom is approaching

Thats all I can think of for now...
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let's see what have I learned from RPG's...

English, about mythical creatures, how to woo girls and...

Wait isn't that what you meant? Well in that case...

-A dragon boss: That may sound like generalizing and is not that I'm complaining or anything since I like Dragons but I have a feeling I will be facing one dragon in some dungeon.

One Dragon in some Dungeon, get it Dungeons and Dragons, ah never mind.

-A crappy childish love story: Yes unfortunately is not the epic love story I'm looking for, the one to move your boots and mind and make you sing to the nightingale as Shakespeare puts it, I want love not some anime girl destined to be with the anime hero from the beginning, and make love for once you damn prudes, now I'm not pervert or anything but after all this traveling it should get your Gears running, get it Gears running, there was a scene that suggested sex between Fei and Ellie in Xenogears that is why I say that, oh never mind.

-Hero parents either dead or missing in action, I mean come on other than Vice of Skies of Arcadia fame I can't remember any other RPG hero with both parents alive and kicking and without either of them being the final boss or something.

-You have to pay for anything under any circumstances, I mean come on a f**** big flying dragon wyrm whatever hybrid is raiding your flying ship and may make mincemeat out of ya and you dare ask for money Rin, I will have a boot up you Al Bhed a**!!

Now THAT patronage is very much appreciated.

-Obscure Final bosses, does anyone remember Necron from Final Fantasy IX?

Well what was that b**** all about eh, what the hell, you better get your acts together you lazy bums, want to add another boss make it seem worthy plot wise, how about Ozma?

Did anyone get what that piece of Uranian ball was about, I just mention the prominent Final Fantasy IX, there a lot more fish in the RPG sea like Ultimecia from VIII though in a different way but I don't want to go through it.

-Stereotypes, lets see we have the loner the big stupid guy the wise mage the hottie the hunk the obscure animal comical character and me with a shotgun waiting in Osaka for some developers.

Ok there's more but I will stop here before I get myself more exited and start braking stuff again (there's not much left I'm afraid).

The point is, wise up wake up and move on, or wait for me to come along and give the genre the breather it needs.
peeps

Zangetsu

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

A lot of the things you mentioned were more specific to Suikoden than anything...

Hmm.. is that so I guess I didn't notice that.. :D
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I learned that even with these cliché and repeated things you all see in RPGs, which by the way are not entirely true in my opinion with every RPG, you all still keep playing them.

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Njord wrote:
I learned that even with these cliché and repeated things you all see in RPGs, which by the way are not entirely true in my opinion with every RPG, you all still keep playing them.

True in my case is because I'm apparently a masochist (playing Ninja Gaiden on Very Hard twice is one proof), but I don't know about the rest of you.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

May I say I played Suikoden 2 ten times at last count? :D The game was just too good to play just once, twice, or even three times... This is NOT a joke by the way, I really did it...
Hugo

Flaming Arrows

7609 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Really , ten times . Didn't you get tired of doing the same thing again so many times in a row . I couldn't imagine playing the Suikoden games ten times just to play them . I always clock up at least 100 hours when I complete each game except for Suikoden 3 which was about 250 hours . I couldn't spend that long doing it again unless there was something I missed or needed to find out . Especially 10 times . Although I will play New Game + in Suikoden 4 just to see what it's all about .
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I learned I am a hopeless addict, no matter how bad they look, or how bad they sound... I'm there playing them anyways. Guess I'm a sucker for a good story.

But like you guys, I discovered a few oddities with RPGs. Nobody minds you taking things from their house... except that one guy at Telos station :twisted: that I ended up killing :twisted: because i took a medpac of all things. :oops:

One other thing is that no company can decide what two buttons operate the menu. Does Circle or Triangle open it up and which one closes it. This is the one thing I learned to loathe in regards to RPGs.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I pick up some words somtimes from games, thats a differnt learning though. I learnt my fave characs become jerks/betray you or die. Nash(Lunar)/Ted (suikoden) you know. Now i fall for villans, not all...not Kefka...oh no no no.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is the Lunar you refer to "Lunar Legend"?

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Zero

Blood Knights

3523 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lets see, there's actually a good deal to learn from RPG's, more of the information is baised off of real life myth then you might believe. Espers, from Final Fantasy VI I believe, Espers are actually fabled creatures in europe.

Aside from this, you're always going to start with a main character who has some unusual convictions. They don't often meet the criteria of your other party members until the main characters shady past comes to light and reveals why it is they feel that way. You have a little inspiring moment before you're off to go contenue to save the world, newly enlightened of course.

Next, at least one character will have an unreasonably sized weapon that they wield as if it wieghed only ounces. How do they manage this? They are uber hax0rz, so deal with it. Cloud from FFVII, The Lion guy from Breath of Fire IV, Ryu Grandia II.

Thirdly, there must be at least one type of romantic relationship. Sometimes it is multi-tiered and you end up with a love triangle or more. However if there is not some form of affection between two characters in your party then the game will definatly be a failure. Why is this you ask? Because RPG femals are designed to be so hot that the programmers know all the male players just want to know that they can play Captain McDoodle suave enough to get in her pants, and guess what? We're good at it!

There must be one borderline masochistic character amongst your ranks. The reason for this is quite simple, Goth's are people too. Or something...meh.

Melee attacks and healing attacks are truely the only two things you need to beat an RPG. It's developed like this because so many American's are too farking lazy to try multiple attacks to succeed. We'd rather just hold down circle until this annoying random battle is over so we can get back to flirting with Etnah, the hot chick wearing only a bakinni top and a mini skirt. Man, I wonder if she's wearing panties.

Back to the subject, the final most key component to every RPG:

The main bad guy must be one hundred times more bad a** then any character in your part. This is because the only way we'll feel like a bigger bad a** is if we take the former bad a** and stomp his face into the ground until he cries our name and has nightmare's about us. If that doesn't work we finish them in the last scene in a way that seems entirely impossible after witnessing all of the havoc the main bad guy unleashes upon the world. What a load of crap!

Julious Cezar
KFCrispy

51948 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

everybody, including aliens from outer-space if they are any, speaks the same language! amazing how cultures are so different, yet everyone can communicate with each other perfectly...

i have to say that link provided a few posts above is pretty lame. some are kinda funny, but they seem to only apply to Square games.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here is another one I thought of. Thoughout the world, or worlds, everyone uses the same currency. Only a special gambling type place will have different currency, with the exchange rate usually 10-1 or 100-1...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: