Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Shin Megami Tensei
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OptimisticPessimist

Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

84561 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Shin Megami Tensei Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Any Shin Megami Tensei (SMT) fans here?

Hoping to find some fans here to talk about SMT, especially the DDS and it's coming sequel...
Loran Cehack

Moonlight Butterfly

203221 Potch
200 Soldiers
122 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't had much time to play the latest Megaten games, but I have played:

Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei 2
Shin Megami Tensei if...
Megami Ibunroku Persona: Be your true mind...
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Devil Summoner
Devil Summoner 2: Soul Hackers
Last Bible
and
Another Bible

How is DDS? Is the story as deep as a regular SMT game? Are the characters as well developed as the Persona series characters?

Last edited by Loran Cehack on Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Persona: Eternal Punishment is one of my favorite games, with Maya Amano as one of my favorite heroines, the game is interesting for me because of the religion and mythological feeling in it, even though it is mainly in the monsters and special beings of the characters and bosses.

It was quite fascinating to see a game that takes place in a real world with different religious beings and myths altogether in it, the story of the game was different in a good way and felt close to me because of the more realistic elements, I liked all the weirdness of the story and it's few sudden twists, I felt pretty much attached to the story and the character with every passing moments.

Of course, the first thing that grabbed my attention is the beautiful "Goddess of the Moon", her beauty is beyond anything, the other characters were interesting, of course, less interesting than their mistress, Ulala was okay, a little bit funny, but annoying, Katsuay and Tatsuya, the weird opposite brothers had more interesting personalities than Ulala, but I never liked anyone of them that much, they were cute, but not worthy for the Goddess herself, Baofu was a total repulsive, but I must say I liked him more than the rest of the guys, the two other cute couple Ellen and Nate were lovely, I prefer Ellen over the rich brat.

What I also love about this game is all of the original commands in battle, other than the basic Attack, Defend, and Special Attack or Magic that makes it more fun and real, things like talking to monsters, persuading them to do stuff, or even making fun of them.

The dark looking graphics with the music were fine, although it was boring having the same thing every time.

Well, I can't think of anything else to say, other than I really enjoyed my time with this original fun game, too bad my copy is in bad shape right now, I feel like playing it once more.

The other game of the series I know of is Shin Megami Tensie: Nocturne, this one I didn't play because it felt so depressing and silly, I never like the concept of just one hero with a bunch of monsters with him, and I never liked the creepy atmosphere of this game and the only city everything takes place in, as I said, I didn't play it, I only saw someone playing it, but from what I saw, I knew I wouldn't go that far with it, the main hero is silly, even though the idea of the story is very interesting.

The one I'm playing right now is Digital Devil Saga, this one is different, it reminds me of Eternal Punishment, but is much different due it being in unreal world, I still didn't finish it, just two dungeons till the end, I find the story fascinating but I have mixed feelings about how it will end or what will happen next, I absolutely don't want to be shocked by a silly thing at the end, although not everything is revealed for me, I think I pretty much have an idea of what is going on.

The graphics said to be similar to Nocturne (although I don't see the resemblance) are much more better in my opinion being in less darker mood, the music is fine I guess, and the battle system is much more better or feel more better with many charcters, although I don't like how everyone can have the same "Mantra" (special being).

The characters being different than each other seemed to be lacking a lot of personality in my opinion, maybe because of the story, but it would've been better if we could see more of the characters outside the battle ground, almost all the story is about fighting, for that reason I don't feel that bond with any of the characters.

I enjoyed a lot of the scenes in the story, some of them moved an emotion in me, but these moments ended really fast for some reason, I don't know why, but I felt the story is very short and missing a lot of things, fighting appeared to be more important than the story itself.

There are also some things I didn't like about this game, such as the lack of story lines between the characters, the absence of some of the things in the previous games of this series that made them memorable, and how we can get killed by the stupidest of monsters in an unexpected moment, but most important in this one is the high cost of everything, keeping money isn't as easy as getting it, such a nightmare.

Well, I guess that's all ^)^.

Gizel Godwin Fanclub

131074 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shin Megami Tensei is a good Rpg game woth great story and cool graphics but the battle are so bored if they made a better battles the game would be better.:!!! :roll:
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cobalt wrote:
Shin Megami Tensei is a good Rpg game woth great story and cool graphics but the battle are so bored if they made a better battles the game would be better.:!!! :roll:

What are you TALKING about?! The combat system in SMT: Nocturne and DDS are absolutely wonderful! No longer is it 'hit the auto button and grab a soda or take a piss.' It rewards you for playing smart, and can be unbelievably harsh if you screw up (and believe me, you will), what more could you ask for? Sure, special physical attacks cost HP, but what's wrong with that? The games are telling you that everything comes with a price. It makes sense to me, at least...

I am a big fan of the MegaTen series, and I'm desperately looking for Persona and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment again. I had friends who owned them, but they lost them/sold them off. T.T I must ownz them!

Loran Cehack, how were you able to play Innocent Sin and the other MegaTen games that never made it stateside? I really want to play them, but I haven't figured out a way to do it (other than buying the games off e-bay and playing/translating them that way)

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Best series ever.

Although I will say that Maya is the worst choice for a silent protaganist, ever.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Loran Cehack

Moonlight Butterfly

203221 Potch
200 Soldiers
122 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Raze wrote:

Loran Cehack, how were you able to play Innocent Sin and the other MegaTen games that never made it stateside? I really want to play them, but I haven't figured out a way to do it (other than buying the games off e-bay and playing/translating them that way)

SMT 1, SMT2, and AB have translation patches; IS has an english script online, and SMTif, DS1 and 2 I just played without any translation.

For the three that needed translation patches and if I just did the evil thing and got the roms. I ordered IS and DS2 from Himeya Soft (I don't know if it still has them). I had to get DS1 from ebay.

Also note that Last Bible is the JP name for Revelations: The Demon Slayer.

I have played other SMT games, but I just got them as roms and they are not translated.

They are:

Megami Tensei
Megami Tensei 2
Majin Tensei
Majin Tensei 2
Last Bible Special
Last Bible 2
Last Bible 3

Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

84561 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nice to see so many SMT fans here. I didn't really expect many responses to this thread, though I'm glad there are some.

I've played:

1. Persona: Eternal Punishment (P: EP)
2. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (SMT: N)
3. Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (SMT: DDS)

My favorite of the lot is SMT: DDS, I think.

Persona was great, but I hated the card collecting system, even though on the first playthrough, it was quite fun to get all the conversations. Some of them made me laugh outright. I never did get Persona: Innocent Sin... I wasn't much of a gamer back then... :cry: Darn. I do regret it now. My copy of P: EP is spoiled and I've been hunting forever for a replacement and for Innocent Sin.

Blackjack, why is Maya such a bad silent protaganist to you? I kinda liked her... She was preferable to Ulala...

SMT: N wasn't that great (my opinion). I liked the darker tone of the story but sorta hated the combat system (... I still haven't finished the blasted game). It reminded me of P: EP though.

SMT: DDS wasn't that eye-catching really, but it was by Atlus (...!) and so I bought it (Darn my Atlus fascination). But I'm glad I did now though. The story (though toned down as compared to SMT: N or P: EP) was still enough to hold my attention until I finished the first playthrough.

Well, that's my opinion so far anyways. One more question though, are you guys looking forward to getting SMT: DDS2 (coming out in August)?
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm totally letting the Ulala comment go, because I'm feeling charitable. :P

To realize why Maya was such a horrible choice for a silent character, you need to have played, or at least be familiar with, Persona 2: Innocent Sin. In that game, Maya was basically the one that connected all of the other characters. She was the light in the darkness, if I may be corny. She was constantly talking, and always kept everyone's spirits up. So, to have her be a silent character, you're essentially completely doing away with that.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love Shin Megami Tensei, I've played Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, and Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga. Sadly I wasn't much of a gamer when I saw Persona 2, and I only rented it, didn't get the battle system at all and I couldn't beat the first boss, and gave it back. I regret not buying it now. I can't find it anywhere. I never beat Nocturne because my data was erased halfway thorugh and I never started again, and I'm close to beating Digital Devil Saga, but have put it down for now. On a side note, I love the openign song for Digital Devil Saga, Danger by Etro Anime. I love darker RPGS, and Megaten will always have a place in my heart (Even if I haven't even played a third of the MegaTen games)
OptimisticPessimist

Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

84561 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blackjack wrote:
I'm totally letting the Ulala comment go, because I'm feeling charitable. :P

Oh, thank you, oh merciful and all-powerful Blackjack. :P LOL

Blackjack wrote:
To realize why Maya was such a horrible choice for a silent character, you need to have played, or at least be familiar with, Persona 2: Innocent Sin. In that game, Maya was basically the one that connected all of the other characters. She was the light in the darkness, if I may be corny. She was constantly talking, and always kept everyone's spirits up. So, to have her be a silent character, you're essentially completely doing away with that.

Ah well, that settles it. I really need to get Innocent Sin. Being a late-comer in the gamer scene really sucks sometimes. Ulala made up a lot for Maya's silence though. <runs away before Blackjack decides not to be merciful>
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OptimisticPessimist wrote:

SMT: N wasn't that great (my opinion). I liked the darker tone of the story but sorta hated the combat system (... I still haven't finished the blasted game). It reminded me of P: EP though.

I, for one, loved Nocturne, especially the combat, as I have mentioned in a previous post. I have not finished the game yet because I couldn't defeat the...5th fiend, I believe? (The Red Rider, most likely "War" as he had 2 power spirits with him.) Anyways, he still angers me, despite the fact that I've leveled up since my first beatdown from him...long story short: I'm loaning my copy of Nocturne to a friend right now, so it's still a work in progress.

OptimisticPessimist wrote:

SMT: DDS wasn't that eye-catching really, but it was by Atlus (...!) and so I bought it (Darn my Atlus fascination). But I'm glad I did now though. The story (though toned down as compared to SMT: N or P: EP) was still enough to hold my attention until I finished the first playthrough.

Well, that's my opinion so far anyways. One more question though, are you guys looking forward to getting SMT: DDS2 (coming out in August)?

I really enjoy DDS, and am happily awaiting DDS 2. I will agree though, the concept of DDS isn't as...hmm...severe, let's say, as previous installments are, but it's still darker than just about any other game stateside. Oh sure in GTA, you can beat a hooker to death with a bat and steal her money, but it just can't compare to consuming your opponent's flesh in terms of darkness. I'm amazed that those whackjob associations against videogames hasn't targeted the Megaten series and brought it under fire, like they have with so many other games...I guess it's just too obscure for their radars, which is good. I enjoy the controversial issues that the Megaten series brings forth. (I especially love the 'disclaimer' in the beginning of DDS. When a game has a disclaimer in the begining, you just KNOW it's going to be controversial. :3

Regardless, I haven't beaten DDS either. The reason for this is because I get sidetracked often by other games that come out. Right now, I'm playing through Atelier Iris, and as soon as I'm done with that, I'll go right back to DDS. I just hope that I can beat it in time before DDS 2 comes out, or I'll be in serious trouble. (I can't do things out of chronological order if I can help it. It just drives me nuts, which is why I don't watch anime on TV... if I miss an episode, I'll refuse to watch the rest until I see that episode I missed. [yeah, i know it's wierd.])

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Anamanaguchi

1109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nocturne is seriously one of the best games I've played. Everything about it owns all other RPG's. The story, characters, battle system, music!
Erinyes

Zephyr Quill

7589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

there is an anime of it.......watched it in Japanese and it is..it is....TOO GOOD :shock:
Jhones

The Vermillion Legion

7066 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Megtenist here. I got P2: EP, SMT: N, SNT: DDS: AT, Demikids light/dark.

True, not as much as you guys, but, eh.

Oh, and DDS get's better when you just reach the final door, decide to not go through and allmost all the hidden bosses are unlocked.

AND, on a second play through the Ultimate superboss is also unlocked. THE HITOSURA. Aka, the protagnist from SNT:N

And Noctune kicks ass, Dante's in it, aswellas Belzebub and Metatron!

I'm going to get myself banned if I keep acting like a jerk...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: