Suikoden United and Informational Kraalesque Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Death
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"I just have no need to start thinking of what will happen to me when I die, I find it useless because it's the only aspect of our lives that we cannot evade. "

It's also one of the only things we know nothing about, at all.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Lunarblade: I was not accusing you, I was wondering what it was that made you want to be remembered. I think it may be important, even though it's off-topic for this thread.

I'm not accusing you of...um...accusing me, just pointing out that I want to have some proof of my existance.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

"I just have no need to start thinking of what will happen to me when I die, I find it useless because it's the only aspect of our lives that we cannot evade. "

I can't help but agree with that Pyroflame. When I was younger, for me and I think for alot of people. Death was a terrifying aspect. The thought of never being able to feel, see, touch, taste and, exsist. I Personally am also boarderline agnostic/Luthern. However, I can't ever help but always question the thought of the afterlife truley existing, or is it just false hope giving to alot of us as a child, making us able to cope with the hope of a life or even a betterlife afterwards. After a while though, I've sorta just taken death lightly. I've gaven up worrying about it, because if it happens it happens, if it doesn't thats wonderful too. Ofcoarse that means I"m not going to go out marching infront of cars trying to toy with death. More over I've found it easyer to use it as a enevidablity, and I might as well just enjoy whichever time I have. I guess most of the time all I wish to maybe have left sometype of mark left for people to remember be by. Or perhaps passing on the genes, knowing even after my own death my blood lives on. It'd be hard to imagine a meator hitting earth though and all the little white lines of everyones life just stopping and fading away. Haha what a morbid topic, least it's a very open topic aswell.

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't take this to offense. Religious people skip this post.

*SKIP*

*SKIP*

*SKIP*

*SKIP*

*SKIP*

You have been warned. My opinion is when a person dies they're just gone there's no after life or anything. I believe people made things up about the after life because humans are afraid of uncertainty or the unknown. It feels fair to me to plainly say out that they made up all that stuff about the after life because no one has ever came back from death.
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, now, how does this relate to my original post, which is, "Why are people sad when someone dies" ?

How come everyone gives me an answer to "What happens when you die" ? That's not the question I asked.. Come on!
But, to indulge you, Childofthesea, what about the people who don't have a pulse anymore and are brought back from the dead using CPR or a defibrillator?
Hugo

Flaming Arrows

7609 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not going to even touch this subject. I might offend someone.
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I'm not going to even touch this subject. I might offend someone.

haha Hugo, I like how you annouce to everyone that your not going to reply to this dicussion, and let everyone know that your not going to. Instead of actually just not like alot of people choose to.

Quote:

what about the people who don't have a pulse anymore and are brought back from the dead using CPR or a defibrillator?

Well actually your not dead till the doctor pronouces you.. but yeah your not fully gone even without a pulse. People have stopped breathing for gaps of time and come back before. And it's possible that people have shocked themselves back into a faster steady rythem.

Nobody though has been "brought back from the dead with CPR". CPR is used to stabalize people that are near death, thats the same with a defibrillator.

Quote:

Okay, now, how does this relate to my original post, which is, "Why are people sad when someone dies" ?

Well it does relate with the topic of death, which is the title of your thread. But I'm guessing the topic could of easly switched over because greaving for death might have a small connection to where people are going. And you should be glad it involved into a larger topic for everyone to make a peice in. But too you humor you, because I think I was one of those people who went off topic, mostly because I only red the last few posts before mine, because i just assumed it was still on topic.
I think people cry because they have a trouble accepting the end. People cry all the time. When someone moves away for a long time, when someone breaks up. When someone even gets married. The thought of the word "Final" frightens alot of people I've noticed. Expeically death, I've noticed it's not really the thought that they died that makes people cry, but the fact that they'll never see, talk, tough, and listen to them ever again.

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm, so you are saying that the period of mourning is in fact a selfish period, not a period where you accept that the individual is gone, but a period where you accept that you will never get anything with/from them again.. ?
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

How come everyone gives me an answer to "What happens when you die" ? That's not the question I asked.. Come on!

I had a lot about death in my mind and despite reading the posts I didn't consider that talking about Death in a topic named Death would be off-topic.

Quote:

But, to indulge you, Childofthesea, what about the people who don't have a pulse anymore and are brought back from the dead using CPR or a defibrillator?

That is a medical thing, it could technically happen to animals too.

To answer more direct to your topic let me take it from Masaya.

Quote:

I think people cry because they have a trouble accepting the end. People cry all the time. When someone moves away for a long time, when someone breaks up. When someone even gets married. The thought of the word "Final" frightens alot of people I've noticed. Expeically death, I've noticed it's not really the thought that they died that makes people cry, but the fact that they'll never see, talk, tough, and listen to them ever again.

You forgot one thing the most important one... Love...

When you love someone and you lose him/her it's only natural to hurt, unless you don't know the concept of love.

If we are attached to someone if we love him/her we don't want to lose him/her the crying part is relative, we get the command from the brain to cry, and we might get that command even if nothing sad is happening.
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I truly have no clue what happens to us after we die maybe we go to heaven as the Christian (sorry if that's misspelled) relegion teaches maybe we are reborn based on Karma as Budhism teaches. I myself whether this is the affect of want, pure fantasy, or truth have felt that I know things from a previous time, other times I feel completely ignorant. There is no way to tell so far as yet, as seeming if people are reborn they do not remember dieing or living in a previous time...

A note that I forgot to mention: The "old" shell/body stays where it lies (in ashes or in the ground) but it may be the soul or life force that lives on.

As to answer the original question: "Why are people sad when a person dies?" there are serveral reasons...

1) Again it depends on what you believe

2) You may have known this person for all your life and feel like a part of you died with them.

3) You may never see them again, better say your farewells and everyone hates farewells (good ones)

I have thought this over in my head many times and compteplated it, result = no conclusion...

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Trevoke wrote:

Haha, sorry for being so late, I had forgotten this topic!

Quote:
I want to stress out that I've never had a direct family member die. Closest person I had was my grandfather, and he had Alzheimer's... So, maybe my dialogue will change when someone who is very close to me dies.

Well, my grandfather died from the exact same disease on april. I had a close relationship with him (I pretty much saw him everyday) and I don't know... He didn't remeber me, or anyone for that matter, so I didn't feel very bad because im pretty sure that wherever he is know, he is much more happier.

As you may know Alzheimer is a very nasty disease... the person with it slowly starts forgetting pretty much everything, even how to go to the bathroom and such. The only persons my grandpa recognised where my dad and his sister.

Another person very close to me that died was my grandma (My mothers mom). I had a much closer relationship with her than with my grandfather, and practically talked about everything with her. One of her dreams was to see me as a "Collegue Graduate". But she never got the chance because her heart was pretty sick, nothing would had happen if she had treated herself earlier, but sometimes older folks are quite stubborn in some aspects... (Like visiting the doctor)

I was pretty sad when they died of course, but I want to think that they lived their lives happily. One of my "goals" is actually to fulfill my grandmas wishes and also follow practically all the advice she gave me when she was still alive.

I guess my position pretty much stays the same, It's indeed a very unhappy and painful moment. But it's a part of our lives (suffering the loss of a relative) and the best we can do is to remember them and respect the way they lived, eventough we may disagree with some of the choices they have made along the way.

We simply suffer when we lose someone because we start feeling a void inside, the feeling of knowing that someone isn't coming back is quite overwhelming. I think sadness is the feeling that suits that sentiment more accordingly...
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well not following the conversation any with this post but it is a death today all us sci fi nerds lost one of the true original icons of Science Fiction. James Doohan, better known as "Scotty" on the original Star Trek died in his home in Redmond washington from complications from Pneumonia, and alzheimers. He was 85 years of age. Now I am not the biggest fan of the original Star Trek, and I know the phrase was never actually used, but I must admit I have quoted the line "Beam me up Scotty" more than once. So with that said, Sci Fi has lost a symbol, but never mind that. My sympathies to his family.

Being a religious person I might have taken offence to the statement of there not being any afterlife. But, I am not that stuck up in my religious beliefs to be offended by someone who thinks differently than I do. I do, disagree that someone just went and made it up, but I believe that it was their belief there was something else. Just as you believe that there was nothing else, I believe and many millions of others also believe in an afterlife. Everything is all fine, and good so long as one side or the other doesnt try to force it down each others throats.

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Hmm, so you are saying that the period of mourning is in fact a selfish period, not a period where you accept that the individual is gone, but a period where you accept that you will never get anything with/from them again.. ?

You know I actually thought thats what it might sound like when I posted it and then decided to post it anyways, because I thought thats a interesting viewpoint. Selfishness for never seing someone again.. anywho...

What about the true medical reason for why you cry, and for death? It's because when your a really all time low. (IE: someone leaving you like death) your brain kicks in somthing called "endorphins" that I think attach or react with your "opiate receptors". To sorta block our view and kinda make the pain go away so to speak. Which bringins up something even weirder.. so the same thing happens when your really happy and you laugh, so really when your crying at a funeral are you close to laughing at the same time..? Anyways thats sorta off topic soo I'm just going to say, you cry because it realeases endorphins that help you deal with the loss of someone you held dear.

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Who were you adressing Filipe? C of the S G, Futch, me, or some one else?

I have had the fortune never to have a family member die while I have lived

Pro: Not much sadness for me

Con: Only grew up with one Grandparent (my grandmother) all the others died before my birth

I cannot say how long my grandma will live, she's in her 80's but I hope that she live's till her 100's (she's in good health so...she probably will......i hope..)

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was personally making a comment towards Child of the Sea God, my apologies to anyone who thought I was making mention of them. I always had four sets of grandparents, two great grandmothers for a short time after I was born.

My great grandmother, from my maternal grandmother died when I was about six years old. I only met her a few times, but I was also about a year old at the time, so I have no memories of her. From what people tell me, she was an extremely strong willed woman, who was kind to almost everyone. Anyone I know that has ever met her, had nothing but good things to say about her. My paternal great grandmother I have met a lot of times actually. She always came off as somewhat, standoffish so I didnt get to know her very well either. She died about five years ago, roughly six months after I last saw her.

With the exception of my paternal grandfather, all my grandparents are alive, and well. It's a blessing I can say that much, that they are all in relatively good health.

Fortunately, those that have passed including my grandfather have never been the closest of people to me. So naturally while, I was saddened by their passing I cant say that I was devastated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: