Suikoden Unique and Irenic Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Right to bear arms
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Adrian Magicent wrote:
I would like to point out that it does indeed take a lot of effort to shoot somebody. The mental effort, rather than physical, is often forgotten. Now, take that into consideration. The logical consequences of it, too.

How is the mental effort any different from any other sort of murder, though? It takes just as much mental effort to poison someone, or knive them, or millions of other horrible things. The main drawback I see to guns is that it's far too easy to accidently harm innocent people.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Adrian Magicent

Ever-Nameless, For It's Mysterious

528 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Honestly, I can't really say. I'd only be speculating on that. I didn't really post a lot of what I meant to say. I don't particularly want to get into argument with anybody. I meant it more as a point to aid discussion, since I thought it was lacking in the discussion now. But, to the basic issue, I don't like guns much. I don't think it's necessarily easy to have an accident anymore, though. I do, however, believe in the right to bear arms, but prefer swords, myself. Also, I find the benefits of carrying a gun for protection to be fringe. I see the issue best in the terms of defense against tyranical government.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

St. Ajora wrote:
The problem is that it doesn't matter if you know how to use it properly and know when to use it. A lot of people know that, and that doesn't stop them from using a gun the way they do. I find it horrible that people believe they need to walk around with loaded guns to feel safe. Instead of loading everyone up, why don't you just take them away (disregarding all of the anger and chaos that would ensue in the process).?

That's incredibly naive, I have to say. No offense. Don't you think it'll be a little hard to convince everyone to just throw away their guns and join hands while singing "I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony"? Getting rid of every gun a civilian owns is about as useless an activity as America's current policy with drugs.

Sophita wrote:
And I have no problem with assault weapons being banned. What do you need them for? Honestly - what do you need them for? Is there any positive use of them? I'm dead serious here. Is there any way an Uzi will help protect your home in any way that a regular gun or security system wouldn't?

I'm with you on the automatic weapons issue. They serve no useful purpose and are only designed to kill other people. You don't take an uzi out hunting for Bambi's mom. The only time someone would need an uzi is if they REALLY wanted somebody dead. So I agree, an uzi is just a killing machine and has no place in our society. Guns should be kept for hunting or for protection, and that reason alone.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"That's incredibly naive, I have to say."

Nut, that was a stupid thing to say. Her point is, while this SHOULD be how it is, it's unreachable. That's why it's still a problem. Of course it's a naive want. But she already knows that. And the drugs comment....well, I'll put it this way.....they have the right goal, but the delivery of how to get to that goal....*shakes head* No.

"Guns should be kept for hunting or for protection, and that reason alone."

I think they should just be kept for hunting. Make a less dangerous, but equally effective weapon for protection. We hunt to kill. We shouldn't need to kill, whilst protecting ourselves. Avoid casualties at all costs.

Edit: Changed all his/he to her(s)/she.

Last edited by Sualtam Lugh on Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
That's incredibly naive, I have to say. No offense. Don't you think it'll be a little hard to convince everyone to just throw away their guns and join hands while singing "I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony"? Getting rid of every gun a civilian owns is about as useless an activity as America's current policy with drugs

I'm not naive, because I implied that I wasn't taking that scenario seriously, hence what I wrote in brackets. I've already acknowledged earlier that America is so caught up in this web that enforcing stricter policies would only infuriate more people. It's like they've hit a plateau. Still, that doesn't mean we can't entertain other alternatives.

Quote:
So I agree, an uzi is just a killing machine and has no place in our society. Guns should be kept for hunting or for protection, and that reason alone.

For some reason, I am incredibly amused by the irony of your first setence in which you refer to an uzi as a killing machine and then proceed to mention the wide array of guns available out there as if they weren't the same.

Quote:
Nut, that was a stupid thing to say. His point is, while this SHOULD be how it is, it's unreachable. That's why it's still a problem. Of course it's a naive want. But he already knows that

I'm glad someone got my point, arr :P And I'm a She. Just for future reference ;)
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry about that. >< That's what happens when you don't stray far from your Country's forum, for a long period of time.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry if I took your comment out of context. I was replying to my reply, and I didn't see any brackets. My apologies.

St. Ajora wrote:
For some reason, I am incredibly amused by the irony of your first setence in which you refer to an uzi as a killing machine and then proceed to mention the wide array of guns available out there as if they weren't the same.

I don't see where I contradicted myself. I was stating that an uzi was not used for any purpose besides killing other humans. I have no problem with smaller firearms used for protection or rifles used for hunting, but anyone carrying an uzi isn't out for sport.

Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The problem with finding a just as effective way of self defence that does not involve death does not exist. Home protection only goes so far and there are ways around that with few problems if you know how. I dont know how mind you but I think there are ways. Pepper spray, you have to get up close to them to use it and by the time you do they could have very easily shot you. Same goes with a baseball bat or anything else that isnt a projectile weapon.

You could say well why dont people use a bow and arrow, carrying a bow with a quiver of arrows as well. All I can say to that is, you know how dumb a person would look walking down the street with those? Not only that it's not very efficient in normal circumstances if you are facing someone with a gun. Thats the problem with finding an alternative mode of self defence. What they need to defend against is a gun, they havent made a useable weapon to combat a gun yet.

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But the thing is, what is everyone so scared of? Or whom?

I know the sillyness of that question, but it's coming from someone who lives in a province with about a million people. In New York city alone, there's like 16 mill, right? I guess all I can do is shake my head. But sometimes, to an outsider, it looks like people are being way too paranoid.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

What did I originally say? I'm not American. I'm Canadian. I'm observing. I don't know how tough it is. But what the Amendment was made for is over. Having that right only breeds violence. Sure, there are some people who actually use it to protect themselves, and that's it. But some people use it as a loophole, allowing them to commit crimes. If we clean up our cities, we WON'T NEED PROTECTION. That's my point.

I understand that you're speaking of the hypothetical, so I'm not going to chew you out over it. However, I very much have to disagree. First, I do think it's an American problem, but not how you'd think. It's not so much the society per se, but rather our very, very open borders that allow untold amounts of immigrants in. Now, don't call me a racist or a xenophobe, because I'm NOT. However, it's a plain fact that a huge number of immigrants come here dirt poor, and settle into the slums. Desperation causes these people to start committing crimes, and then it just spirals downward through the generations. You see it more in America simply because we're an immigrant nation, and we're growing (some would say painfully) every year.
Now...I don't think the 2nd Amendment is outdated at all. We have to have protection from our government. Though I support the Bush Administration, many would think that they're dangerous. It's their right to think so, and they would be justified (in their own minds) to stockpile arms in case things got really bad (military rule, etc). Now I know the point's been made that the military outclasses the population...HOWEVER, a nation's military can't bring out the big guns (nuclear weapons, etc) on its own people, for a multitude of reasons (not the least of which is losing the total support of the troops needed). Thus, the 2nd Amendment is still a useful tool to keep the populace well-armed for any eventuality.
I disagree with your point that people use it as a loophole, as I noted earlier a lot of the crimes with guns are committed with illegally obtained ones. Ciminal X isn't going to have a background check done on himself, since he KNOWS he'll be denied the request. Besides, it's far cheaper to buy a gun on the street than legitimately. Plus, it's harder to trace an illegal purchase if a crime is committed. As noted, Joe Schmoe from Burger King who's worried about muggers at night isn't going to need to fear his background check. He most likely will never use his pistol, unless it's in the occasion of being attacked by someone already committing the crime. In that case, the use of a gun (in my opinion) isn't just warranted, but encouraged. If the criminals know the populace is armed, they're less likely to commit crime, as they're cowards who only prey on the weak. And if some of them have to die in the process of a crime, so much the better, I have no sympathy for that type of human slime.

And of course, people wouldn't need guns for personal protection if we cleaned up the cities. Unfortunately, that's never, ever going to happen at a satisfactory level. Since the beginning of time cities have been clogged by filth, and they will remain so. It's naive to think that we can ever change human nature.

While I wish we would never need guns, it's unfortunately a very, very necessary evil in our society.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Filipe wrote:
The problem with finding a just as effective way of self defence that does not involve death does not exist. Home protection only goes so far and there are ways around that with few problems if you know how. I dont know how mind you but I think there are ways. Pepper spray, you have to get up close to them to use it and by the time you do they could have very easily shot you. Same goes with a baseball bat or anything else that isnt a projectile weapon.

You could say well why dont people use a bow and arrow, carrying a bow with a quiver of arrows as well. All I can say to that is, you know how dumb a person would look walking down the street with those? Not only that it's not very efficient in normal circumstances if you are facing someone with a gun. Thats the problem with finding an alternative mode of self defence. What they need to defend against is a gun, they havent made a useable weapon to combat a gun yet.

So, basically, the main reason people have guns, you're saying, is because they're good protection against...other people with guns? Everyone* is carrying around guns so they can protect themselves from...other people carrying around guns so they can protect themselves? It sounds to me like it's a viscious cycle.

*who holds a gun for purposes on the up-and-up side of the law, at least

Why is everyone so scared that they need guns for protection on them? The chances of being hit in a crime is pretty rare in most cities, and, indeed, everyone has a group of professionals around who are there for the express purposes of your protection - so why should you need to carry a gun for protection at all?

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Why is everyone so scared that they need guns for protection on them? The chances of being hit in a crime is pretty rare in most cities, and, indeed, everyone has a group of professionals around who are there for the express purposes of your protection - so why should you need to carry a gun for protection at all?

Because as I've noted a criminal is most likely going to get his gun illegally. A heavy restriction on guns won't hurt people who actually do misdeeds with them. People get guns for recreation as well as protection...but as far as protection goes, the streets in certain areas can be VERY dangerous, and it's quite common for houses to be broken into. Hell, just in my street alone we've had 3 break-ins, and we're a pretty quiet suburban town. Most of the people on my street have guns for self-defense now...and I think it's warranted. Yes, it's nice to think that the police can magically arrive in time to save you, but it's just not realistic. If you want to protect yourself, your family, and your property, then a gun is a damn good way to do it (although I think that a sword would be cooler myself :wink: )

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not that people are scared of the average joe-blow walking down the street, because you're right, crime has been dropping steadily in this new millenium (in America) and people here are probably safer than they've been in quite some time. So it's not that people are going out thinking there's a criminal lurking in every shadow looking to mug them, it's that they should be allowed the freedom to protect themselves in case such an unlikely situation occurs.

It's like an umbrella. A person might wish to always have an umbrella handy just in case it happens to rain. Even if Al Roker says everything is clear in your neck of the woods, there should still be nothing wrong with carrying an umbrella for your own peace of mind, right?

Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The difference between an umbrella and a gun is that....well, you can't easily kill a man with an umbrella (Shaddap, that's not the issue at hand. You know what context I mean this in.) as opposed to a gun, which is a weapon. It doesn't have a practical, everyday use, like an umbrella. You use an umbrella to protect from rain. You use a gun to protect yourself. Fine. But if you take away the guns...that would reduce violence. If you don't take it, you can't use it. But if you do bring it, you run the risk of having to use it, which would lead to trouble that doesn't need to happen.

....What I'm trying to say is that, guns are more destructive than constructive. They kill more than they save.
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You also have to remember is, that if you dont bring a gun you run just as much risk of running into a situation where you would need to use it but didnt bring it. The situation probabilities are just as likely both way whether you have a gun or not for those with self control. I mean naturally, if you are insanely paranoid, then you have no buisiness having a gun in the first place. It's those people who have the probability of shooting off a gun for no reason when thinking they are in danger. I mean with me if I chose to carry a gun around for my own protection, I would use it only if I needed it and then only if approached with a weapon.

You can't ban all guns for personal use just because a minor portion of said legal owners cant handle having one. Besides everyone knows criminals have guns and are willing to use them so why not have one to assure that if they come after you, you will have a better chance of fighting back. If a criminal comes after you to cause some sort of harm and you kill them in the process then you are in the right. Sure they will be dead and it will be seen as violence but, to defend against violence sometimes violence is nessasary. I mean look at the war on terror. The army is fighting against the terrorists to ensure or try to ensure that the US is not attacked again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: