Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Essential 50
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Sim City should have been on there. Populous may have started the god game genre, but Sim City is what made it popular. I don't know many othe rpeople who hav eplayed Populous, but almost everyone i know has played Sim City at some point. That, IMO, makse it more important than Populous.

I also think Black and White should be on there, because it's "morality" gauge - where there were many solutions and things differed if you choose the "good" one (for example, saving a guy and helping him build his home) or if you choose the "bad" one (for example, saving a guy only to kill him in front of his wife and children and them destroy his home) seems to have been highly influential on a small subgenre of RPG games - the 2 KOTORs, Fable, etc. But it's small enough I also agree that it makes sense for it to be left out.

I also do not think GTA III is revolutinary. Other than introducing a functioning control system and going from one perspective to another, it does nothing for the genre. There were adult orientated games before it. There were games with humor and seriousness before it. There were games that delt with criminals/playing the bad guy before it. It is only revolutionary in the fact that a bunch of people bought it, and it was one of the first adult oriented games to sell well. (But if that is a proper condition for being included on the list, then why isn't Sim City there?)

I also think the Macintosh shouldn't have been on there. It's the fifty most innovative games; the Macintosh is, in terms of gaming, merely a console. It's a cheat to have it on there, even if it was revolutionary in terms of personal computers - it's not revolutionary in terms of games. They might as well have put in the powerglove, one of the first of many doomed accessories, or the original game boy (the first portable gaming device that held more than one game, as well as one of the first gaming consoles to be released in more than one form).

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tron Bonne

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:

I also do not think GTA III is revolutinary. Other than introducing a functioning control system and going from one perspective to another, it does nothing for the genre. There were adult orientated games before it. There were games with humor and seriousness before it. There were games that delt with criminals/playing the bad guy before it. It is only revolutionary in the fact that a bunch of people bought it, and it was one of the first adult oriented games to sell well. (But if that is a proper condition for being included on the list, then why isn't Sim City there?)

Amen, Sophita! The GTA series is revolutioary only in sales. and I feel the same way about Halo.

(I know people are going to disagree with me on this but.....)

I've played Halo many times, and I really don't see what so great about it. Graphics were okay, and the gameplay was standard FPS affair. What was revolutionary was how hyped the game was.

Halo, while certainly not a bad game, isn't an overly good one either.

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't forget that GTA was pretty much the first series to offer completely open-ended gameplay. It just dropped you in a city and gave you the option of stealing anything, killing anyone, and going anywhere. GTA3 was just the title in the series that made it a household name, and also made the violence up-close and personal. GTA is basically a synonym for freedom in the context of gaming, and every game since to promise "open ended gameplay" is inevetably and legitimately compared to GTA. It removed linear gameplay restrictions and imposed an overwhelming type of freedom to choose how you play. Ignore the storyline altogether for all Rockstar cares. The point is that GTA is fun no matter how you play it, which is an example to game developers everywhere.

Let freedom ring!

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Sophita

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eh - was it? The Sims (in particular,and I'm sure there were others that I'm not thinking of) is a very open ended game, and sold more copies to boot, and earlier. It's just-barely-in-the-same-genre-and-perhaps-not-quite, but still. Of course, the Sims HAS no storyline unless you create one, so perhaps apples and oranges.

But again, if it's the most innovative games, then why isn't the first GTA up there? It's far more "revolutionary"; GTA3 just made the damn thing playable by getting rid of the top-down perspective and adding decent controls. I don't see it being innovative in terms of content or presentation, which leaves only sales as a factor.

It might have become a standard, but it's not the first title for that to happen either. Like it or not, every RPG is usually compared to Final Fantasy, and even new Final Fantasy titles are compared against old ones. Every action game is compared against Mario - or Sonic. Every fighting game is compared to Street Fighter or Tekken (sometimes DoA, and sometimes a passing reference to not being so deep a fighting game engine as VF).

John Layfield wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Which is why most of those titles are up there O_o

Sales does have to be considered when deciding to grant a game with the title of "influential". Grand Theft Auto established the series' trademark violent/open-ended style of gameplay, for sure, but nobody played it. GTA3 was more influential on modern games because it marks the point at which open-ended gameplay became popular, and the market for open-ended games was established, or at least defined. It's the same reason Final Fantasy VII is up there but not Final Fantasy I or V or VI. FF established the role-playing saga and nigh defined the genre of itself. VI, many people believe to be the best in the series, or even the best RPG of all time. VII though, is what made the big splash. VII pioneered the way for Japanese RPGs to find a home in American libraries, so whether or not VII was better or more revolutionary, it's more influential because it reached more people. Same with GTA3. Just because GTA1 did it first and the Sims does it similarly, GTA made the biggest deal out of it, and because it established such a huge potential demographic, it became influential on the development of recent games.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The list was alright, but I do disagree with a few of their choices. What we're looking at his revolutionary games that created or otherwise defined a genre. There's a few on there that didn't. One that did get recognition was Dragon Warrior. I'm so glad that's on there as I feel the same way they do. It was the father to Japan's console RPG market.

FFVI was the blue print used by almost every RPG released from Japan for close to a decade. But they included FF7 since more people have probably played that one and it did mark the jump to 3D and RPG's jump to mainstream...

Sid Mier's Civilization or Master of Orion defined the 4x strategy genre.

Dune 2 (from westwood) fathered the RTS genre which was later expanded on by Warcraft/Starcraft and Command and Conquer.

What about X-Wing, SimCity?

I really disagree with Halo. They even said it, Halo offered nothing more than Goldeneye aside from a better implementation. Goldeneye defined multiplayer FPS on the console.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The badguy from Tron wrote:
I've played Halo many times, and I really don't see what so great about it. Graphics were okay, and the gameplay was standard FPS affair. What was revolutionary was how hyped the game was.

Halo, while certainly not a bad game, isn't an overly good one either.

Badguy, there are few things that I agree with you, but this one of those few things. The storyline of Halo was what was so 'great' about the first one, and the online play was the only thing that I see that sold Halo2. Honestly, I don't see what all the hype is about Halo and Halo2. Hell, the original Doom made a better FPS than Halo.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The badguy from Tron wrote:
i don't know. I just don't see how a text adventure like zork can be seen as on of "The Most Important Games Ever Made". maybe it was before my time, but a game made up of sentences such as "you are standing in a field. what do you do?" hardly counts as a game that influenced all games thereafter .

Look at this taken from the Zork article:
Quote:
Now all these things are de rigeur. "Puzzles" are an integral part of design in almost every genre -- except perhaps sports, and even those might throw a few brain-teasing mini-games at you. World-building and narrative are just as critical. Even the simplest twitch action game in modern times has a setting and some kind of story to give it shape, and some have gone so far as to almost crush their action under the weight of storytelling.

For nearly every game that tells a story, then, in some way we have Zork to thank. For nearly every game that makes us scratch our heads in frustration, that's Zork too. For that %&*$ dragonfly in Resident Evil, and the keypads in Fear Effect...well, not all Implementors are created equal.

there hardy is any story in most first person shooters. You're a guy with a gun, and you need to kill things. First Person shooters are more popuar for their multiplayer capabilities rather than the single player mode.

am i supposed to say: " hey, I can make a connection between Suikoden and that old text adventure Zork! I now understand how importand Zork was to Suikoden's story development."

i don't even think any story writers in Japan have heard of such an obscure text game, much less use it as a model to develop thier stories (as the article implies multiple times, and flat out states it in the quote above). Story writing is a fickle thing: you either have it, or you don't.

no way. I don't even count text adventures as games. If you count zork, you might as well also count those books where you read the page, and at the bottom it gives you choices and pages numbers to make those choices.

other than king's quest, that's the only game i think shouldn't be on the list.

I disagree with you that text adventures shouldn't be counted as games, visual novels are basically a prettier version of text adventures, so you're bascially saying the suikogaidens aren't games. (I think they're counted as visual novels, not sure though)
Sophita

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Krawnik wrote:
Which is why most of those titles are up there O_o

Sales does have to be considered when deciding to grant a game with the title of "influential".

Well, then, why are games like "Zork" and "M.U.L.E" and "Faceball 2000" and "Herzog Zwei" in there? Those certainly didn't sell that well, and are quite obscure. Since they didn't sell well, if sales are part of the main criteria, then they shouldn't be on the list.

All I'm saying is that the criteria are inconsistant. For some it clearly comes down to "Who did this first" and on other articles it comes down to "who did this first in a mainstream game" and on yet others it comes down to "Who did this best most recently." I don't think the team who wrote this article had a solid list of criteria a game must meet to be considered influential.

John Layfield wrote:

Last edited by Sophita on Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Tron Bonne

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Raze wrote:

Badguy, there are few things that I agree with you, but this one of those few things.
Yeah, I'm quite the disagreeable guy. I'm highly opinionated. But what do you expect from me? I'm The Badguy from Tron.

Raze wrote:
Honestly, I don't see what all the hype is about Halo and Halo2. Hell, the original Doom made a better FPS than Halo.
Truer words, my friend.

Sophita wrote:
Well, then, why are games like "Zork" and "M.U.L.E" and "Faceball 2000" and "Herzog Zwei" in there? Those certainly didn't sell that well, and are quite obscure. Since they didn't sell well, if sales are a main criteria, then they shouldn't be on the list.

All I'm saying is that the criteria are inconsistant. For some it clearly comes down to "Who did this first" and on other articles it comes down to "who did this first in a mainstream game" and on yet others it comes down to "Who did this best most recently." I don't think the team who wrote this article had a solid list of criteria a game must meet to be considered influential.

That's what I've been trying to say about Zork and Halo and whatnot. Guess I can't say what I think into words as eloquently as you, Sophita.

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:

Yeah, I agree that the criteria are inconstistent, but I don't think it compromises the integrity of the list. I think that the criteria for adding a title to the list was more like, "did it first OR did it best OR made it popular", rather than having to fulfill a certain number of sales as well as bringing a new element to gaming and etc.

So yea, just because some games are on there for going hugely mainstream while other games from the list rot in obscurity, I still believe that every game on the list, for it's own reasons, has earned it's position.

RIP Ninjalicious
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: