Suikoden Unique and Illusional Keystone Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

unpredictable plot "twist" (spoilers?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: unpredictable plot "twist" (spoilers?) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To play off Blackjack's Most predictable plot "twist" thread, here's the unpredictable plot twist thread. I guess one could call it the best plot twist, since some of the best plot twists will be known a little before it happens. Like some premonition or gut feeling right before the revelation.

Yarr, spoilers avast ye matey!

Some of the plot twists that surprised me were:

Starwars: Knights of the Old Republic
Who's that Revan fella I keep hearing at and why is the Jedi Consul so rude to me.... oh, it all makes sense now. Talk about an interesting twist to set the real plot in motion.

XenoGears
Citan sold me out, Citan isn't who I thought he was, Elly and I are more than just people. Tons of twists in this game that surprised me every time.

Shadow Hearts Covenant
So that hot red haired chick (Karin) was actually Yuri's mother? Not so much a plot twist but an interesting revelation.

Final Fantasy 8
...So you're saying we were all orphans and we couldn't remember each other.... sure shocked the heck out of me. Weird part of the game but it was surprising

What plot twist was so unexpected that you were shocked or blindsided by the change in the story?

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Final Fantasy 8
...So you're saying we were all orphans and we couldn't remember each other.... sure shocked the heck out of me. Weird part of the game but it was surprising

That was unexpected. Ridiculous and lame, but unexpected. Sorry if I offend any fans out there, but I hate hate hate FF8.

Seriously, probably the most unpredictable twist ever was in Metroid for NES. I had no flipping clue that Samus was a woman! I didn't believe it at first when people told me. I don't know why it was so inconceivable to me, but the game came out when I was 9. I guess boys that age don't consider females to be video game heroes. In later games (with better graphics) you an clearly see she's female (especially in Zero Mission where she has no armor on in the pirate ship), but I had no idea. I only beat the game for myself a few months ago to see the helmet-less finale.

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"...Mr. President."

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

"...Mr. President."

Haha... I don't remember where thats from but lemme take a stab in the dark... Metal Gear Solid? That game series is reknowned for plot twists.

[WARNING: SPOILER HEAVY RANT]
What you mean I'm a simulation to be just like Solid Snake? Liquad is alive? Otacon had an affair with his mother? Nicole Simpson can't rap? The whole oil refinery was a cover up?
[You may now remove your safety helmets]

I think a good twist for the Mario series, would be for the Princess to turn out to be pulling the string behind everything and using Bowser as a cover-up to get away from the spotlight and spin her web of deciet while sitting on her throne of lies. That would provide a good extra half hour to an hour of play and the satisfaction of knowing that you just shocked the world-wide gaming community by producing such a game.

I must say though that my favorite plot twist in any game would have to be the whole series of events around Megaman and Zero and how it finally culminates into the Zero series in which Megaman is the final boss. It's a truly glorious storyline if you let your imagination run a bit with it. Megaman tends to be a form fitting outlined game(8 bosses to 8 levels and a big boss in the end) but the storylines actually come out good sometimes. SOMETIMES. Don't get me wrong I like the Megaman series alot, but one must admit that it seems recycled at times, and despite that its still a gerat game every time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I fully agree that everything that came from the Megaman series has somewhat turned into gold and coal at the same time depending on the individual game. Some of the games have absolutely been off the charts when it comes to their quality that you are left wanting an immediate sequel just to see where the story would go next. Then they come out with games that are just so rediculously bad and out of sight and mind when it comes to the series that you are left wondering what they were thinking. I think everyone knows what games I am making mention of dont you? I think that rpg game they put out for the Megaman X series not all that long ago would be the perfect example of an idea that went horribly bad.

Aside from that I cant really recall any particular game having that much of an effect on me when it comes to surprising twists. Xenogears had quite a few of them and to be honest they did throw me off completely and it's one of the few games that did so. No games really thus far have thrown me for as much of a loop as that game did so I suppose you could say it somewhat deadened me to lesser plot twists.

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Xenogears . . . what didn't surprise me there? I played it for the first time recently, so I had forgotten that great plot twists exist. All these lackluster new games I've been playing this year set me up to be completely surprised by what Xenogears had to offer. The plots that stood out the most were the reincarnations of Fei and Elly, and especially ID's true identity. I can't say enough about how amazing that game is. It literally gave me chills.

I thought Star Fox Adventures was an o.k. game, but I never expected Star Wolf of all people to help out in the final dungeon. Yeah the galaxy was in danger, but I figured they were swallowed by the aparoids already.

Arc The Lad 2 - You travel for a long time and have come so far. And there your whole party is, led by Elc and Arc to confront the king of Romalia and the Dark One. You think you're off the hook, now, but how wrong you are.

The King uses the forbidden power to destroy the entire world. Out of all the games with "World Destroying" themes, Arc the Lad 2 has, by far, the most devastating outcome I've ever seen. Aldia was flooded drowning the citizens, the sacred tree of Millmania burned to the ground, Western Halshinne turned into a desert, Seirya was lost in the ocean, and Romalia was decimated. During that whole time, the crisis theme music was playing which added to the mood. I was very surreal, knowing that almost all the NPC's you met were killed instantly. To name a few, Rata, Nam, Lynx, the policeman from Aldia, Roan (The guy with the vacuum, right?), and many others. It was pretty sad.

I also didn't expect them to kill off Andel so soon. I thought he would have been the Kefka of the game.

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Guess I don't need to say this, but spoilers ahoy for Wild ARMS 2, Grandia 2, and Star Ocean 2.

Wild ARMS 2 - Ashley and Co. are fighting in ARMS against Odessa, a group bent on global domination. Who would've thought that ARMS and Odessa were founded by the same guy, and for such an unbelievable yet compassionate idea? Irving Vold Valeria managed to surprise the hell out of me when he said that he created Odessa and ARMS to manage to rile up the world enough to unite the nations. Irving should be a Suikoden strategist, IMO.

Grandia 2 - You know of the legendary fight between Granas and Valmar, but everyone tells you that Granas is 'sleeping'. He's actually dead. I had never encountered any stories where a benevolent god dies while the malevolent one lives after a catalysmic battle. An incredible twist, indeed.

Star Ocean 2 - In the sealed Heraldic Weapons Laboratory, I was amazed when Narl told Rena that her real mother, Reema, died in the explosion that made the laboratory defunct... 700 million years ago. Yeah, Reema used a time-jump device to save Rena from the explosion, but there's a BIG difference in years there, people! I also managed to break into the secret North City files. I wasn't too surprised that the Ten Wise Men were artificial beings, but I was when it said that Dr. Lantis, the great genius of Nede, committed suicide and transferred his soul to Indalecio, the final boss. You just can't trust these scientists anymore, can you?

Final Fantasy 7 - In hindsight, the characters were VERY messed up, but I can still remember the surprise in my eyes when I found out Cloud was never in SOLDIER, that he managed to delude himself so much that he himself became an imaginary character.

Toshinden - Yeah, yeah, who didn't see this coming from me? :lol: But whenever I compare Gaia to Ellis, I still can't believe that they're father and daughter. I find it hard to imagine that a stiff-hearted Japanese swordsman could be the father of a cheerfully persistent circus dancer, never mind that he wore demonic armor in the first game and wields a sword as big as Ellis is. The Saturn version of the first game was probabaly my first big shocker in my gaming history.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Dakota

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I still stunned about Star Wars:KOTORs spoiler, I dont think that anything could top that.

Azure Dreams, big moment was lame, the main chars father issurely alive right? Wrong, way to smash my morale guys..
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with KOTOR's plot twist being a great one. I played through the first time going dark side anyway so it was seemed I knew it all along. Very interesting.

Breath of Fire 3 - When Garr revealed he was a dragon hunter and hastily attacked you, that was a real surprise for me. Also finding out at the end that Teepo was a dragon also - very good.

FF Tactics - Delita's actions always surprised me. He killed his way to the top and even after everything was over killed his wife ( the queen ).

Valkyrie Profile - there were many in this game, since you saw the deaths of all your characters a lot of them involved interesting twists and circumstances. I guess the biggest twist was the best ending. Insanely hard to get right ( be a bad valkyrie but not too bad ) and all sorts of unexpected twists going on.

FF 7 - Vincent's wife being Jenova! I never saw that one coming and it gave a lot to the character.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wasn't Vincent Valentine's lover Lucreia, the surrogate mother of Sephiroth, rather than Jenova who Sephiroth regards as his true mother?
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ced The Lad wrote:
Lynx...

Actually, Lynx lived. He helped repair Elc's ship at Gislem after Arc the Lad III.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: